Author Topic: How Well Does DPoS Really Work?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
I think the primary driver of the delegate performance issues you bring up is the combination of roles, which is already being addressed.  Particularly the 100% delegates are primarily supported for the other work they're doing, not the actual business of running a delegate and providing feeds.  Since everyone already knows about this issue, and knows it's being resolved, they may appear apathetic about it.

Offline Thom

If you look at the current state of our 101 delegates I have to ask if DPoS is working very well.

Here are a few facts:
    • 25% of delegates don't even publish price feeds
    • 29% of the 100% pay rate delegates don't publish feeds
    • Three of the 100% pay rate delegates ranked in the top half run software at least 2 revisions out of date
    • Ten of the 100% delegates have questionable reliability (less than 98% reliability rating)
    • The majority of the delegate pool earns 3% pay rate (65=3%, 35=100% 1=10%)
    • 80% of the top 10 delegates (see below) earn 100% pay rate

I have to ask, do BitShares delegates take their role seriously? Do the shareholders? On the positive side, we have seen action taken rather quickly to remove poorly performing delegates, once they are brought to the attention of the community.

I am rather concerned however of the very limited discussion surrounding the heart & soul of the BitShares ecosystem, DPoS. Although full disclosure of DPoS 2.0 has yet been revealed, neither have the details about BitAssets and yet that topic is being discussed at length. Why?

This leads me to believe the majority of our community is focused on trading and profit rather than the underlying facilities that allow that to occur. It makes me wonder if the voter apathy and overall lack of concern about the fundamentals of DPoS indicate an inherent weakness in its viability as a mechanism to sustain an effective and efficient crypto ecosystem.

I am however grateful to BM & the dev staff for their dedication to thinking about the underlying infrastructure and the innovation that will hopefully balance out the tradeoffs between a reliable and high performance blockchain network and the elements of it that will attract people to use it. So I remain cautiously optimistic.

Based on the following criteria: -
    • Software version 0.9.2
    • 99% or greater reliability
    • Number of votes 15% or more
    • No change to voting rank in last 7 days
    • Number of active feeds at least 19 (all but 1 are 23)
    • Feed update frequency at least 27 (once per hour > 24?)
    here are the top 10 delegates:
[/list]
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html