Author Topic: Accessing forum over TOR increasingly harder  (Read 3086 times)

Offline karnal

• View Profile
The connection has timed out

The server at bitsharestalk.org is taking too long to respond.

This request has been denied for security reasons. If you believe this was in error, please contact support.

This request has been denied for security reasons. If you believe this was in error, please contact support.

This was one of the shorter sessions. Usually it takes me 10-15 minutes now to be able to login.

Seriously not cool.

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline Jon Snow

• View Profile

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Only a handful of exit nodes appear to be blacklisted. Trying to reconnect on a new tor circuit eventually works, usually in 2-5 attempts.

Of course blacklisting only a few exit nodes accomplishes very little (besides annoying legit users). If it was a spamming problem, well, spammers can create new tor circuits too.

Please consider removing whatever configuration is causing this issue ..

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Connection reset.

*works* (for a minute or two..)

:(

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Is it a server/vps?

If so, I assume you are referring to an eventual 'no tor' policy on their end.

IME, this only applies to exit relays, rarely to non-exit relays, and definitely not to hidden services.

Offline bitsapphire

The problem is that we're getting DDOS attacks regularly and needed to put up some protection on our server provider. Other solutions as outlined by others put up captchas hich is a problem in and of itself.

Hopefully we can put up a hidden service on TOR itself soon, that could solve the problem, though that's not possible with our current server provider.
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I run hundreds of servers/vms for dozens of clients, I'd say I have an idea 8)

Grossly overstated.. YMMV
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:46:48 pm by karnal »

Offline JA

• View Profile
I'd rather refresh 5 times than filling those ******* captchas here as well. Unless you browse with Tor regularly, you have no idea how annoying these are.
Lol,  You have no i dea how annoying automated tor bots are.

They screw up statisctics.
They put spam all over the place.
They use up resources for no good reason.

And it gets more and worse every day.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I'd rather refresh 5 times than filling those ******* captchas here as well. Unless you browse with Tor regularly, you have no idea how annoying these are.

Offline JA

• View Profile
I use cloudlfare to handle tor.
It doesn't block them but puts up a captcha in order to block bots.

Maybe the admins should consider setting something up like this.

Offline karnal

• View Profile

bump

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Any comment from a forum admin?

Offline karnal

• View Profile
As a privacy-aware netizen, I do most of my browsing through the Tor network. Browsing this site is no exception,

Since the beginning, I've met with "This request has been denied for security reasons. If you believe this was in error, please contact support." at least a few times every day.

It could be my imagination but lately, this is happening more and more frequently.

Please keep access to the forum through Tor possible, there are some here who're 100% legit and access via tor 100% of the time.