Author Topic: [BitShares 2.0 Technologies] Collateralized Bond Market (Discussion)  (Read 7379 times)

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
Since the yield on bitassets goes away, I think it is important that all those people who invested into bitUSD for the yield only (I refered a few of them) will not turn their back on BTS because it's no longer possible to have a "risk free" yield with their bitAssets, so adding a Option Market in addition to the bond market in order to simulate stable "yield" is important IMHO.

Otherwise you're removing features with no alternative, thus loosing attractiveness.
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline bytemaster

Options market is designed but we didn't want to delay 2.0 for more features...

Overly optimistic.  This can't be the end all be all solution.  I anticipate liquidity issues in options markets.  Not everyone will be able to hedge their collateral.  Plus the prediction market can already achieve what the option market is looking to do.   

Options would be more trust free than the prediction market, but a prediction market would be "liquid options"
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline topcandle

Overly optimistic.  This can't be the end all be all solution.  I anticipate liquidity issues in options markets.  Not everyone will be able to hedge their collateral.  Plus the prediction market can already achieve what the option market is looking to do.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:47:59 pm by topcandle »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
Thank you, tonyk, I understand now.

With this option market, it becomes pretty much risk-free for the lender again. Assuming it exists.
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline ElMato

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
So a bitUSD loan with BTS as collateral would probably require 200-300% as BTS has been very volatile against the US Dollar.

A bitUSD loan with bitGOLD as collateral would require less collateral, is that correct?

The interest rate defined by the lender would also reflect on the perceived risk, right?

I still don't understand what you mean with the combination between loan and option. You said in another thread:
The lender may purchase an option separately (not implemented yet).    If a lender has an option and the interest covers the cost of the option then there is no risk to the lender.   For now the lender must provide the option themselves and thus is exposed to option risk.

How does the option make the process risk-free for the lender? Can you please elaborate?

Maybe example will be the easiest way to explain it.

Allice has 100 bitUSD and wants to lend 100 bitUSD and is ready to accept bitGold as a collateral. Price of bitGold is 50 bitUSD/bitGold .

If a call option for 100 bitUSD @ 50 [bitUSD/bitGold ] exist and is priced at  2 bitUSD/option - This means a contract giving you the right to buy 100 bitUSD at 50 bitUSD/bitGold, and it costs 2 bitUSD to buy this right to purchase 100 bitUSD.

Alice can lend 98 bitUSD with say 5% interest, accept 2 bitGold as a collateral; and buy 1 call option [as the one described above].

In the case that the borrower does not repay the loan she will receive the collateral orf2 bitGold. She can now exercise her call option - i.e. buy 100 bitUSD with the 2 bitGold at the 50 bitUSD/bitGold

VoilĂ  - she finished with the 100 bitUSD she started aka no risk and this is the worst case scenario -the loan was repayed and the price of gold did not go up in bitUSD terms.

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline svk

So a bitUSD loan with BTS as collateral would probably require 200-300% as BTS has been very volatile against the US Dollar.

A bitUSD loan with bitGOLD as collateral would require less collateral, is that correct?

The interest rate defined by the lender would also reflect on the perceived risk, right?

I still don't understand what you mean with the combination between loan and option. You said in another thread:
The lender may purchase an option separately (not implemented yet).    If a lender has an option and the interest covers the cost of the option then there is no risk to the lender.   For now the lender must provide the option themselves and thus is exposed to option risk.

How does the option make the process risk-free for the lender? Can you please elaborate?

You raise an interesting point in saying that a loan backed by bitGOLD will have less risk in terms of collateral than another more volatile asset, this gives additional value to very stable bitAssets like GOLD :)

Most likely lenders will tend to prefer collateral in very stable assets, and as you say be more lenient in terms of collateral required.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

What happens when the value of the collateral is lower than the loan? Does the lender get access to the (not 100% complete) collateral?

How does this option come into play?

The borrower wouldn't repay the loan by the due date and thus the lender can claim the collateral.

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
What happens when the value of the collateral is lower than the loan? Does the lender get access to the (not 100% complete) collateral?

How does this option come into play?

Offline bytemaster

The lender is like a bank that is only willing to lend up to 80% the value of a house or 50% the value of a car.   

Where this has value:

1) you are a speculator and want to earn interest on your BTS or short BTS
2) you would like to borrow some USD without selling your BTS.   So you pledge your BTS as collateral, borrow some BitUSD and sell it for USD.   

This does not help those who want unsecured loans.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
In other words, every bond is the combination of a loan and an option to buy the collateral at the payoff price.

Can you please explain exactly what happens if the posted collateral is not sufficient to cover the loan - how does the option come to play?

Offline monsterer

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads