Author Topic: Announcing BitShares 2.0  (Read 45045 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
how do you invite people? is there a special client download page? ref links?
The account that pays the fee for the account registration of someone else is the referrer ..

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Referrals: how does the client know who referred someone? will there be a special client download?

also,

Reward Vesting Requirements

All cashback and referral income are deposited into a special balance which must vest linearly for 1 year. This means that after 6 months you can withdraw about 50% of your cash back, but your remaining funds will take an additional year to vest. This is because the vesting process is based upon accumulating “BTS-years”, for each BTS-year accumulated you can withdraw 1 BTS. If you leave 100 BTS in the account for 1 year then you will have accumulated 100 BTS-years and can withdraw 100 BTS. On the other hand, if you withdraw 50 BTS after 6 months, then you will have consumed 50 BTS-years leaving your account with 50 BTS and 0 BTS-years. It will take a full year to accumulate another 50 BTS-years.

I don't like this at all. If you spent time bringing people to the network, you probably need some money for advertisement etc. you won't be able to reinvest this way

Sadly, vesting was required to address a potential attack vector on the referral incentives.    Also, it helps mitigate Ponzi/Pyramid/Get Rich Quick type accusations.

how do you invite people? is there a special client download page? ref links?

Offline bytemaster

Our user demographic would never spend money to try a new tech :/

It is really rather simple to finance things to get the funds.    Unfortunately, without required centralized ID verification there is no way to "give" samples away to new users.

Why would a person want to undergo an ID verification to try a demo of bitshares ?
Or do you mean  the company raising funds in large sums for this purpose ?

I mean it is a technical limitation of decentralized systems that without "proof of uniqueness" or "proof of work" the "free samples" given away will be sybil attacked and fail.   Bitcoin's referral program was proof of work... but now it has been abused.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Xypher

• View Profile

It is really rather simple to finance things to get the funds.    Unfortunately, without required centralized ID verification there is no way to "give" samples away to new users.

Why would a person want to undergo an ID verification to try a demo of bitshares ?
Or do you mean  the company raising funds in large sums for this purpose ?

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Referrals: how does the client know who referred someone? will there be a special client download?

also,

All cashback and referral income are deposited into a special balance which must vest linearly for 1 year. This means that after 6 months you can withdraw about 50% of your cash back, but your remaining funds will take an additional year to vest. This is because the vesting process is based upon accumulating “BTS-years”, for each BTS-year accumulated you can withdraw 1 BTS. If you leave 100 BTS in the account for 1 year then you will have accumulated 100 BTS-years and can withdraw 100 BTS. On the other hand, if you withdraw 50 BTS after 6 months, then you will have consumed 50 BTS-years leaving your account with 50 BTS and 0 BTS-years. It will take a full year to accumulate another 50 BTS-years.

I don't like this at all. If you spent time bringing people to the network, you probably need some money for advertisement etc. you won't be able to reinvest this way

Sadly, vesting was required to address a potential attack vector on the referral incentives.    Also, it helps mitigate Ponzi/Pyramid/Get Rich Quick type accusations.   

Offline Xypher

• View Profile

also,

The way the referral model is right now, it leaves us with zero means to bring in users for Bitshares.

Offline bytemaster

Questions,

Will marketing be finally able to be done for BitShares after the trial period?

Regarding the transaction amount. Claiming it handles more than visa is a big statement, has this been tested? or will this be properly tested during the trial period?

We have tested that we can handle the volume on a LOCAL network.    We presume that once all delegates are Tier 1 connected to each other it will behave like a giant local network.   

Offline valzav

• View Profile
I love that the new client will be an entirely broswer based wallet.  This will greatly reduce the barrier to entry.

At present, its very easy for me to have a bitcoin wallet at blockchain.org, or a dogecoin wallet at dogechain, or whatever.  But having a Bitshares wallet was very difficult, required me to update the client, took a long time to sync the blockchain, and hogged my computer resources when I ran it. 

This will be a MASSIVE upgrade to usability.

The new client architecture is much easier to work with as well, and having built-in websocket support makes everything so much cleaner. Instead of constantly polling for updates we can now simply subscribe to updates for an account or a market, and get instant notifications whenever something happens. It's pure gold :)

We've also switched to using React instead of Angular so the new wallet will be much much faster.

Also we can use React Native to build native UIs for mobile platforms and reuse more than 50% of code between web and native apps.
There is some work already done on this side, see https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene-ui/tree/master/ios

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

also,

Edit: no marketer will join on this terms in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:16:14 pm by favdesu »

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
https://bitshares.github.io/technology/
Dynamic Account Permissions
Every account can be controlled by any weighted combination of other accounts and private keys.
This creates a hierarchical structure that reflects how permissions are organized in real life, and makes
multi-user control over funds easier than ever. Multi-user control is the single biggest contributor to
security, and, when used properly, it can virtually eliminate the risk of theft due to hacking.

multisig is solved..

I was wondering how long it would take people to discover this and realize its importance :)
Multi-sig
Instant transactions.
Right in sync with a gaming project I've been working on.

Details go live soon :)

Offline svk

I love that the new client will be an entirely broswer based wallet.  This will greatly reduce the barrier to entry.

At present, its very easy for me to have a bitcoin wallet at blockchain.org, or a dogecoin wallet at dogechain, or whatever.  But having a Bitshares wallet was very difficult, required me to update the client, took a long time to sync the blockchain, and hogged my computer resources when I ran it. 

The new client architecture is much easier to work with as well, and having built-in websocket support makes everything so much cleaner. Instead of constantly polling for updates we can now simply subscribe to updates for an account or a market, and get instant notifications whenever something happens. It's pure gold :)

We've also switched to using React instead of Angular so the new wallet will be much much faster.

SVK has made a HUGE contribution to the GUI that is as big as any other core developer.   Thank you SVK for joining the team and helping make the new UI better than ever!

Thank you, it's been very exciting :)
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Questions,

Will marketing be finally able to be done for BitShares after the trial period?

Regarding the transaction amount. Claiming it handles more than visa is a big statement, has this been tested? or will this be properly tested during the trial period?

btw, bad idea posting this on bitcoin subforum, you know it will get attacked and shredded to pieces, downvoted to oblivion, why do you even post there? We will only be seen as SPAM. Post on crypto sub reddit and radical decentralization, other places crypto people hang out but not there. That's my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:14:22 pm by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

SVK has made a HUGE contribution to the GUI that is as big as any other core developer.   Thank you SVK for joining the team and helping make the new UI better than ever!

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
I pissed my pants a little while reading about all those new and incredible features, and I'm still far from understanding all the implications.

Incredible job!!!