Author Topic: [BitShares 2.0] Community Questions for the Devs (Discussion)  (Read 18022 times)

Offline openledger

• Board Moderator
  • Blockchain powered, people driven
    • View Profile
    • OpenLedger.info - Blockchain Solutions, Services and Products for Businesses
  • BitShares: ccedkbts
Can someone tell me if we have the answers to the following questions I would like added to OpenLedger for one, and asume similar could be good in any other wallet. I know of course some of this, but lack some technical details, and maybe somebody already posted some of it:

How do I change my account and move funds to OpenLedger?
How do I withdraw and deposit BTC and LTC on OpenLedger?
How do I connect to CCEDK from OpenLedger?
How do I buy BitUSD with USD and have it added to my account on OpenLedger
How do I buy BitEUR with EUR and have it added to my account on OpenLedger
How do I buy BitCNY with CNY and have it added to my account on OpenLedger
How do I sell BitUSD to USD to make a witdrawal to my bank account
How do I sell BitEUR to EUR to make a witdrawal to my bank account
How do I sell BitCNY to CNY to make a witdrawal to my bank account

Rgds

Ronny Boesing
CCEDK
OpenLedger blockchain in services and solutions - https://openledger.info
BitShares explorer: https://bitsharescan.com
BitShares commitee member since 2015

Offline svk

Is the websocket TLS interface of the witness_node functional now? If not it seems like a major shortcoming, as MITM attacks can occur between the browser and witness server. I am running a local seed node and want to enable a secure SSL (i.e. TLS) websocket channel for use with mobile devices.

I will make this node publicly accessable for people in my local community, who have confidence in my computer skills and would feel more secure knowing a local guy was running the server their wallets connect to. It also allows me to track activity in my local area.

They want a point of contact to run their pitch-forks into if something goes wrong rather than some nebulous "cloud" contact.

Code: [Select]
# Endpoint for TLS websocket RPC to listen on
rpc-tls-endpoint = 1.2.3.4:5000

# The TLS certificate file for this server
server-pem = serverWeb.crt

# Password for this certificate
server-pem-password = "this is the password for self signed cert used for www"

If so is there not a config parameter for the private half of the key as well? When I config a web server like nginx or apache there is the public .crt file and the private server.key file. Why only one in witness config?

Valentine told me we're using proxying for secure websocket to normal websocket so I don't think the witness_node can do wss directly.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Thom

Is the websocket TLS interface of the witness_node functional now? If not it seems like a major shortcoming, as MITM attacks can occur between the browser and witness server. I am running a local seed node and want to enable a secure SSL (i.e. TLS) websocket channel for use with mobile devices.

I will make this node publicly accessable for people in my local community, who have confidence in my computer skills and would feel more secure knowing a local guy was running the server their wallets connect to. It also allows me to track activity in my local area.

They want a point of contact to run their pitch-forks into if something goes wrong rather than some nebulous "cloud" contact.

Code: [Select]
# Endpoint for TLS websocket RPC to listen on
rpc-tls-endpoint = 1.2.3.4:5000

# The TLS certificate file for this server
server-pem = serverWeb.crt

# Password for this certificate
server-pem-password = "this is the password for self signed cert used for www"

If so is there not a config parameter for the private half of the key as well? When I config a web server like nginx or apache there is the public .crt file and the private server.key file. Why only one in witness config?
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I saw someone asking why there is no info about the dev team on BitShares. I believe BitShares will be operated by everyone through worker proposals but do you think it would be good to add that info about cryptonomex team and saying they're operating it temporarily while 2.0 doesn't launch?

Note: this person was just trying to spread FUD but nonetheless, it can be nice for new people to see a few faces there. It transmits more confidence and safety regarding the project

josh-2cef: why does the bts website not have detail on the team?
mightygoodkarma: Polo users pick that.
Sarah: BTC very cheap borrowing costs, borrowing too expensive BTS
Carpentier: BTS donw ETH down
Blurb: vnl flipflopping
AlphaProMega: guys I just got home from my business trip! :D
24hrVolume: Carpentier, just a better time to buy
Ak74u: its the 2.0 countdown 23 days left better get bts while still cheap
duckien: i thinks bts will down to 1700 if 2.0 is error.
Bodet: bonus, English is an offical language in HK
josh-2cef: BTS will crash just like all the others
24hrVolume: Bodet, hells kitchen ?
Blurb: AlphaProMega, you missed all the really good stuff ;P
josh-2cef: anon dev is a huge red flag
AlphaProMega: Blurb, enlighten me brother! :D
josh-2cef: games with releases and timing
josh-2cef: pretty obious
josh-2cef: obvious
Blurb: just a zing, tho BTS is being interesting
AlphaProMega: Blurb, indeed I've been Long BTS for the last 8 days or so
josh-2cef: well ya better take profits
Bodet: 24hrVolume, Hong Kong
24hrVolume: ah
Bodet: 24hrVolume, could be the same :-D
josh-2cef: "this time is different"
24hrVolume: Bodet, lol
AlphaProMega: Blurb, looks like BTS is gonna fall a bit though, I wonder how low is the next wave
josh-2cef: probably believed BitStake too XBS
ironsigwo: "believe again"
josh-2cef: lol
Blurb: dunno, lotta shorting action tho
AlphaProMega: Blurb, intriguing.
randaletouri: josh-2cef, anon dev? you didn't do enough research yet ;)
duckien: stellar is die
BestTradingServices: nice one with angular by kryo, highlight walls: http://codepen.io/kryo2k/full/dojKaO
josh-2cef: Ok, so you have to dig through all sorts of *bleep* to find them? Why not have a team page on the site?
Eddy: take care all
randaletouri: josh-2cef, idk, probably because the team is too big
josh-2cef: oh so it is a community now, sure
josh-2cef: people need leadership
randaletouri: josh-2cef, bitsharestalk.org
josh-2cef: so a separate forum ... like .... ready .... PAYCOIN?
josh-2cef: lol
josh-2cef: geez all the signs are there people
mightygoodkarma: POLO TIP: Wonder how you are doing with your trades? Hate analyzing numbers in your head or on paper? Test drive the Trading History Analyzer. Happy trading!
CryptoGuppy: josh-2cef, your FUD is of substandard quality. Please improve.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Blazin8888

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemontgomery/2015/09/15/bitcoin-is-only-the-beginning-for-blockchain-technology/

Can we contact this San Francisco start up called "chain" they are hooked up with the Nasdaq. Would be a good move

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Is this really true? Let's assume I register an account today using the Linux command-line client and transfer funds to it. Will this account and its funds not be migrated to BitShares 2.0?
your funds will be migrated .. but your account name may end up with a prefix .. for example .. you registered "ralf" today .. and in bts2 it may end up being called "bts-ralf" intead ..
funds will still be in that account .. independent of it's actual name

Offline Spectral

Hi, I have a question regarding migration to BitShares 2.0:

On the following blogpost:
https://bitshares.org/blog/2015/06/08/migrating-to-bitshares-2.0/

I found this:
“Update: All account names registered on or after 2015-06-18 (US Eastern time) will be migrated if and only if they were registered using the BitShares Faucet.”

Is this really true? Let's assume I register an account today using the Linux command-line client and transfer funds to it. Will this account and its funds not be migrated to BitShares 2.0?
Vote for BTS-2 witness: spectral (1.6.30)
0.9 DVS delegate: dvs1.bitspace
Stay tuned for bitspace-clains worker!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Will there be a Bitshares 2.0 implementation in the QT wallet as well eventually? For those who prefer not to use a browser.
Actually, both wallets (0.9 and 2.0) are written in web technology .. and the QT client is essentially a costum made browser.
Anyway, because for 2.0 the devs chose REACT, a native APP (also for android/ios) should be doable.

Also when backing up my Bitshares wallet in the QT client it says "Export" I assume that is how you back it up? Dont most QT wallets say "backup wallet"
It depends, the export contains some more information than only your Wallet (btw, each account should be considered its own wallet) ...
but if you feel it should read differntly, just go to github find that string in the code, replace it and send a pull request :D

Offline Blazin8888

Will there be a Bitshares 2.0 implementation in the QT wallet as well eventually? For those who prefer not to use a browser.

Also when backing up my Bitshares wallet in the QT client it says "Export" I assume that is how you back it up? Dont most QT wallets say "backup wallet"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:23:04 am by Blazin8888 »

Tuck Fheman

How would that effect the coin supply and everyone holding those coins ?

I guess we'll find out "this summer". ;)

Also what if people have those alts on cold storage and you guys do the switch...will their coins be affected ?

I would assume all coins on the old chain simply move to the new chain. They can then claim the new coins with their old wallet key from the old coin. Just like when we went from PTS to BTSX, I assume. I ran out of quotes from Dan to answer you, so now you have to rely on my known to be faulty knowledge. ;)

BTW these are good questions for this weeks Dev Hangout, you should attend and ask Dan ... https://beyondbitcoin.org ... https://beyondbitcoin.org/mumbleinfo

You can also post your questions here ... https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16318.msg224830.html#msg224830
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:38:50 pm by Tuck Fheman »

Offline Blazin8888

So does this mean other alt coins will be able to hop on to the bitshares platform?

bytemaster : We’re trying to provide incentives for any coin to abandon their coin and move it to an asset on the BitShares platform. There is one major altcoin going to be doing that some time “This Summer”.

How would that effect the coin supply and everyone holding those coins ?

Also what if people have those alts on cold storage and you guys do the switch...will their coins be affected ?

Tuck Fheman

So does this mean other alt coins will be able to hop on to the bitshares platform?

bytemaster : We’re trying to provide incentives for any coin to abandon their coin and move it to an asset on the BitShares platform. There is one major altcoin going to be doing that some time “This Summer”.

Offline Blazin8888

Random question ... I was reading this article from  http://www.maxkeiser.com/2015/07/bitshares-nyse/ and it said "BitShares 2.0 introduces the smartchain which strives to be the next evolution of the smart chain. The smartchain aims to provide a platform for thousands of chains competing to offer varying services across the globe."

So does this mean other alt coins will be able to hop on to the bitshares platform? I don't understand this entirely. It sounds like the internet of blockchains almost....something like that. Can someone help me understand this? Are you guys telling me coinmarketcap.com will be rendered useless ....this will be a huge game changer? makes me think ...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:27:36 pm by Blazin8888 »

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Any pair is instantly available once the asset is created, there's no minimum market depth AFAIK, however you might want to focus on the major ones, ie against BTS, CNY or USD.

You can find these markets by searching in the client.

Once you've issued say 100 units of UIA asset to yourself, simply go to your desired market and place a sell order.
Thanks  :)