Author Topic: Privacy (developers click me!)  (Read 5514 times)

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Bytemaster has already indicated that true privacy is on his radar. 
When a comprehensive solution is ready for prime time, it will appear in another appropriately foreshadowed surprise announcement.

Hi Stan, could you link a source for the BM statement ?

8:53: bytemaster: We've been talking the past several months about TITAN being phased out. There's a lot of reasons. Peformance and getting rid of false sense of property. Voting was revealing your account. You didn't have direct control of how your identy was leaked out. We decided to stop trying to automate privacy, and instead to give the user direct control. You can still create many accounts and make sure you never transfer funds between your account.

14:34: Someone could implement a mixing service?

14:49: bytemaster : Yes. Any solution used with bitcoin could be used here. We haven't given up on privacy. We're not prepared to talk about it at this time.

Wow, thanks Tuck!! -- you actually went searching for it! Much appreciated  +5% +5% +5% +5% +5%

Guess I should figure out why soundcloud is not working with tor browser :-[

Offline karnal

• View Profile
A privacy solution is in the works the likes of which is inconceivable to the crypto community at present.   That is all I have to say about that.

Privacy is freedom, and there is nothing so desperately needed in the world today as financial freedom.

BitShares coupled with absolute, total privacy will be a global revolution.

YES!  +5%

Tuck Fheman

When a comprehensive solution is ready for prime time, it will appear in another appropriately foreshadowed surprise announcement.

8:53: bytemaster: We've been talking the past several months about TITAN being phased out. There's a lot of reasons. Peformance and getting rid of false sense of property. Voting was revealing your account. You didn't have direct control of how your identy was leaked out. We decided to stop trying to automate privacy, and instead to give the user direct control. You can still create many accounts and make sure you never transfer funds between your account.

14:34: Someone could implement a mixing service?

14:49: bytemaster : Yes. Any solution used with bitcoin could be used here. We haven't given up on privacy. We're not prepared to talk about it at this time.

Tuck Fheman

A privacy solution is in the works the likes of which is inconceivable to the crypto community at present.   That is all I have to say about that.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

That means it is going to be a different method than the one we see in the so self-proclaimed "anon" coins?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline ElMato

• View Profile

+5% +5% +5%

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Privacy is freedom, and there is nothing so desperately needed in the world today as financial freedom.

BitShares coupled with absolute, total privacy will be a global revolution.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
You give me hope, bytemaster.  :)

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I don't think any privacy tech out there today is truly private.. Tor isn't private.. It also slows down blockchain syncing.

We don't have anything better than tor for anon comms.

Plenty of stuff appears to work. Even the NSA can't crack PGP, ZRTP,  and OTR. Look it up on last years' CCC videos (youtube), as one possible source for this.

The fight isn't lost, we have tools that do work! :)

As for slowing down syncing, I regularly get 1MB/s syncing other coins, using Tor. Maybe it could be 2MB/s.. but I'm not greedy. It's fast enough really.

And either way it's not the syncing that's the issue, it's the broadcasting of transactions. It'll betray the fact that you own the funds.

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I don't think any privacy tech out there today is truly private.. Tor isn't private.. It also slows down blockchain syncing.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
Privacy like Bitcoin devs proposed on the same day is possible.  Homomorphic encryption can also be used.   I view it like original iOS with no copy paste.  We either do it right or not at all.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Would you trust even $5K to a mixer?

no, I'd split it.

btw, why not hire a worker to implement a onchain mixer?

I'd split it too. It would get boring soon though.
And for this to scale in terms of management the accounts in the wallet must be deletable.

I'm not saying it isn't possible (since 0.9 does not seem to allow removing accounts, I already keep >1 wallet in 0.9 by symlinking .BitShares/wallets/default to the wallet I intend to use before starting up the client), I'm saying it ends up being a lot more trouble to maintain than TITAN ever was.

I can understand no TITAN means simplified clients, light wallets, etc, but look.. wasn't somebody already developing an android light wallet? And the online wallet did not use TITAN either (afaik - never really used it myself).

The statement that TITAN made the full client slow appears bogus as well, would it really slow things down if none of your accounts are TITAN?

To sum it up, it seems that we have now made privacy much more difficult and error prone to achieve, plus almost guaranteed to depend on a 3rd party service to get it. But I fully appreciate that I may be missing something here.

What do you think?