Author Topic: 2.0? What happened to 1.0?  (Read 4363 times)

Tuck Fheman

You can't just call it BitShares?

We do call it BitShares and it will be referred to as BitShares everywhere.    Bitcoin has version numbers as well.   

It is just a version number, not a name change.  A version number chosen to represent a MAJOR revision.

*waits for someone to create "newmine 2.0" account*

Offline robrigo

I'm hoping the decision is eventually made to do away with the name "BitShares" altogether. Having the term "shares" in our name puts us at more risk from regulators. I really like "graphene"; it sounds professional and more like a modern platform. It also doesn't sound like "bitches" when you say it... ;D

Tell the regulators that "shares" isn't in reference to company shares but rather the "idealized free market financial system" that each participant in the network collectively shares8)

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
I'm hoping the decision is eventually made to do away with the name "BitShares" altogether. Having the term "shares" in our name puts us at more risk from regulators. I really like "graphene"; it sounds professional and more like a modern platform. It also doesn't sound like "bitches" when you say it... ;D

Graphene works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
was this was the worst newmine could muster up?  performance is slacking lately
Do you want to challenge me?

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
After windows 8 ... there came windows 10 ..

Ahhhh. I see. I totally remember all the Windows 9 hype.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
was this was the worst newmine could muster up?  performance is slacking lately
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

In the non-programming world, 2.0 is a marketing word to mean "the next great thing since our first product, it will replace and revolutionize the market!"

In the programming world, 2.0 means "we threw out the original codebase and started working on another"

So bitshares 2.0 refers to the programming term, not the marketing term.

In versioning programming semantics, 0.x are all building towards the 1.0 release.

The first digit changes where there is a significant functional incompatibility with the previous release. Since BitShares 2.0 is not compatible with the 1.0 API (which the 0.x tree was developing), it needs to be indicated with a different version number. I'm guessing we'll see things like "2.0-beta1" "2.0-beta2" etc. in versions going forward to indicate the difference in API.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

As for marketing, call it what you want - but for our internal community discussions, we need to be clear.

Well done.  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline bytemaster

In the non-programming world, 2.0 is a marketing word to mean "the next great thing since our first product, it will replace and revolutionize the market!"

In the programming world, 2.0 means "we threw out the original codebase and started working on another"

In versioning programming semantics, 0.x are all building towards the 1.0 release.

The first digit changes where there is a significant functional incompatibility with the previous release. Since BitShares 2.0 is not compatible with the 1.0 API (which the 0.x tree was developing), it needs to be indicated with a different version number. I'm guessing we'll see things like "2.0-beta1" "2.0-beta2" etc. in versions going forward to indicate the difference in API.

As for marketing, call it what you want - but for our internal community discussions, we need to be clear.

Thanks for clarifying that for non-programmers.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile

maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
After windows 8 ... there came windows 10 ..

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
im angry  >:(

maybe cant understand all of this without second part of announcement
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline bytemaster

We do call it BitShares and it will be referred to as BitShares everywhere.    Bitcoin has version numbers as well.   

It is just a version number, not a name change.  A version number chosen to represent a MAJOR revision. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
no, before is a legal company bitshares, now they create another legal company cryptomex and change everything not just the code.....
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline NewMine

• View Profile