Author Topic: [BitShares 2.0 Article] Migrating to BitShares 2.0 (Discussion)  (Read 2404 times)

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
maybe the import action is transfer balance from several address(v0.9) to an account ID(v2.0)?
my advice is don't import a wallet json file to an account, the privacy is hard to protect.
we need a tool to dump all private key and the balance for each key.
then user can select several keys to import to an account, and some key to import to another account.

if there are funds in unregister account at Bitshares 0.9
how to migrate these funds to Bitshares 2.0?

The same way as for registered accounts because 0.9 only does key->balance and not account->balance. So there's probably a special snapshot DB from which you claim.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

The same way as for registered accounts because 0.9 only does key->balance and not account->balance. So there's probably a special snapshot DB from which you claim.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

merockstar

I noticed that first we get the web interface, followed soon after by a GUI that lets you download the blockchain to your computer.

I've always been a "keep everything on your own computer, I don't trust the internet with my private keys," kind of guy.

With moonstone coming, and with the new web interface, is there going to be any attention paid to how much resources the actual full client with GUI, when it comes out, is going to be using? The impression I'm getting is that the full node blockchain downloading version of Bitshares, when it comes out, is going to be aimed at workers and delegates and such. Will it at all be designed with regular end users like me in mind as well?

With Bitcoin, I would kind of dislike the fact that I can't really use the QT wallet on my laptop anymore, if I didn't keep it all on paper. I'm sure multi-bit and electrum are fine programs, but the fact that I'm trusting "non-official," code just kind of bothers me.

Basically, I don't want to access the internet to use my private keys, I want them kept on my hard drive, and when I use them I don't want it to be through a browser interface. Maybe it's fine and I'm just superstitious, but will I be accommodated?

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

Tuck Fheman

Relevant 6-8 Hangout (part 1) topics ...

4:26: bytemaster : We will recommend for ease of migration users transfer all funds to themselves for each asset.

5:29: bytemaster: You will be able to export the private keys from the existing wallet into the new wallet and have all of your stake. All assets and bitassets will be migrated along with all short positions.

5:56: bytemaster : This is a 1 to 1 upgrade, we expect less than 24 hrs downtime between the snapshot and launch of the new system. The collateral requirements and pricing for the bitassets should remain unchanged.

6:01: bytemaster : We're giving 30 days notice, so all shorts should have rolled over. If you're unhappy, you'll have 30 days from time we announce to exit your position voluntarily or you will defacto accept the new terms.

6:37: fuzzy : Transfer assets to yourself?

6:51: bytemaster : We'll be working with the exchanges to be sure they're ready to upgrade, so I don't believe it will be a problem. The reason to transfer the funds to yourself is to have everything under one key. In BTS 2.0, every balance record (or key) will be it's own account, so it's going to work much closer to how bitcoin works, where every key is it's own account, so you're balances will be directly tied to your account name. TITAN users, your balance will be tied to your name.

7:50: fuzzy : Are there any exchanges that are honoring the sharedropping?

8:26: bytemaster : CCEDK will, as well as the Chinese exchanges (BTer, btc38) that have in the past will likely as well, but we haven't talked to them at this time.

8:53: bytemaster: We've been talking the past several months about TITAN being phased out. There's a lot of reasons. Peformance and getting rid of false sense of property. Voting was revealing your account. You didn't have direct control of how your identy was leaked out. We decided to stop trying to automate privacy, and instead to give the user direct control. You can still create many accounts and make sure you never transfer funds between your account.

10:43: bytemaster : Under 2.0 you will have shorter addresses for all existing balance records

12:04: In 2.0, is it still possible to have funds in an unregistered account

12:18: bytemaster : The answer is no. If you want the equivalent of an unregistered account, register the account to the hash of some random characters. The reason is the way the new protocol is structured. Scalability & performance discussion : transactions are 100 bytes, where bitcoin is 250 bytes, because the transfer operation is referring to account ID's instead of addresses. Which means we're using 3 bytes instead of 24 or 32 bytes to reference accounts. All permissions are based on KeyID's which are a couple bytes rather than 32 bytes. Any key has to be registered before it can be used.

33:26: community : How do you see migration path of DPOS 1 to DPOS 2 in terms of roles?

33:35: bytemaster : All migration paths are documented on BitShares website. If you can't find an answer post a question on the forum. Short answer, every delegate who is 5% and below will be migrated as a Witness only. Any delegate over 5% will be migrated as a Witness and a Worker. And all initial delegate positions will be held by the developers until others are voted in. In the new system delegates have control over proposing changing transaction fees and blockchain parameters.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Assuming I am unable to run the current client on my windows laptop and I have yet to collect any vested BTS, will i be able to access all my funds via the graphene/bitshares network & light client?
Yep .. all funds, orders, shorts, vested, unclaimed, ... everything will be ported over .. except for the transaction history
Fantastic, thankyou xeroc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Assuming I am unable to run the current client on my windows laptop and I have yet to collect any vested BTS, will i be able to access all my funds via the graphene/bitshares network & light client?
Yep .. all funds, orders, shorts, vested, unclaimed, ... everything will be ported over .. except for the transaction history

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
BitShares 2.0 Articles
Migrating to BitShares 2.0

Upgrading to BitShares 2.0 will require some network downtime. On an appointed date/time, a snapshot will be taken of all BitShares balances in all asset types. The new chain will then launch within 24 hrs of the snapshot that discards all transaction history. This snapshot will not be announced until we are 100% confident that the migration can occur in a timely manner.

full length
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:30:35 pm by xeroc ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ »