Author Topic: What if BitShares could have perfect privacy?  (Read 17520 times)

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
GUI would require JavaScript implementation of crypto used for blinded trx.   I bet that is a lot more work than just using the library produced by blockstream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Yes, a list of other proposals and the community voting on which one(s) to implement makes sense.

And, I too would also like further clarification regarding "implementing at the protocol level" only. Why not in the gui as well? it'll be useless from a practical standpoint if it does not make it to the gui.
My impression is that BM will develop the code, and then leave it up to wallet providers for the GUI to use it
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Yes, a list of other proposals and the community voting on which one(s) to implement makes sense.

And, I too would also like further clarification regarding "implementing at the protocol level" only. Why not in the gui as well? it'll be useless from a practical standpoint if it does not make it to the gui.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I am almost sure there will be more proposals worth plenty of discission by the time bts2 goes live.

+5% for the community already learning to discuss those!

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
It's not about a whether there is a counterargument or not, its about whether this is the the most important use of funds once 2.0 is launched and there are potentially many competing proposals. I guess the sentiment I was trying to express is that, given the breadth of the recent announcement, you need to allow time now for other proposals to emerge and develop before trying to establish any sort of consensus. Maybe we should even encourage a competition for the first set of proposals, with a bounty prize to the community's top choice.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I think it is safe to make a couple of assumptions.

Assumption #1.
           BitShares 2.0 is already up and running.  Witnesses are witnessing blocks.  Delegates are proposing ideas, and workers are getting paid.  This is  a necessary assumption in order to pay anyone 2M BTS within a reasonable amount of time.

Assumption #2
           There is a clear understanding amongst the community of exactly that which we will get.  i.e.  What level of anonymity?  Can those balances vote?  Will there be multisig by default?  What if any performance penalties will this have on the network?

Assumption #3
            There is a clear plan of when these funds will be paid.  When they will vest, and exactly what the communities options are should they consider #2 not fulfilled.

I felt as if those assumptions were understood even if not stated.  I hope that stating them will help to assuage the fears of those that may be concerned that we are rushing towards 3.0 before we even have 2.0.  If the above assumptions are met, then I believe that it would be a bargain to be able to add anonymity onto a functional 2.0 for the miserly sum of 2M BTS in inflation.

I tends towards the non inflationary camp, and of course I recognize that the funds I would spend to feed this development do not belong solely to me.  I am attempting to be extra cautious about how easy it is to spend other peoples money.  I honestly believe that a solid anonymous transaction method would be a net benefit for the bitshares community.  I would love to hear a counter argument either assuming the assumptions above, or arguing against the ability to make those assumptions. 

***edit*** I do know that a couple does not mean three.  I probably made lots of other mistakes in this post.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:56:16 am by puppies »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
It seems to me a bit premature to be putting up a complex proposal (or proposal for a proposal) like this when everyone just wants to see 2.0 actually implemented first. Fine to toss around the possibility, but let's not get too distracted.

Offline mint chocolate chip

What if Cryptonomex's first worker proposal was to implement this at a protocol level (no GUI support) for 2M BTS?
In layman's terms does this mean that it would be operational but not actually usable by most people?

Maybe we should be asking who, what, when, how much etc. regarding GUI support if it is important to this.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I'm not really sure about the technicals of this or whether it should be the top priority. 

I really like the idea of the devs making several proposals and then having the community debate and vote for which they think is best (by voting for the proposal in the blockchain)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I think trying to make BTS a jack of all trades is a non-starter. Its better to stick to the core areas of strength and build on it.

Eventually you will find that there are stuff which can't be implemented on BTS blockchain and we will have to look into a second, separate chain. I can see a market for a perfect stealth crypto and can see it being used as storage; something what BTC was expected to be by the average enthusiast.

I think there would be a lot more issues out there which need solving which would be better served to spend 2m BTS on. More informed members will be able to say that, but on top of my head having a smaller blockchain would be a start. I personally would be happier running a full node rather than depending on light wallets.

Neeh sumantso...you make too much sense!
It is a perfect time to reintroduce TITAN (well 50% of it) back!
Its been 3 days or so, so lets do it! 3 days is way too much time without stupid ideas?!
If we just do it - BTS 2.0 will be fresh out of the box and totally not working in no time of 17 mo. so!!!
I really do not get your point! You make too much sense, and you must know by now this is frown upon here!

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

sumantso

I think trying to make BTS a jack of all trades is a non-starter. Its better to stick to the core areas of strength and build on it.

Eventually you will find that there are stuff which can't be implemented on BTS blockchain and we will have to look into a second, separate chain. I can see a market for a perfect stealth crypto and can see it being used as storage; something what BTC was expected to be by the average enthusiast.

I think there would be a lot more issues out there which need solving which would be better served to spend 2m BTS on. More informed members will be able to say that, but on top of my head having a smaller blockchain would be a start. I personally would be happier running a full node rather than depending on light wallets.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:46:04 am by sumantso »

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Bytemaster, please don't make stealth transfers require only a single key permission to spend the blinded output balances. That would mean there would be no way to have multisig protection of balances received through stealth transfers starting from the moment they are received. The user could of course quickly move the balances to another account (obviously not their main account since that would just compromise the privacy of the stealth transfer unless it was funneled through a CoinJoin-like process first [1]) with appropriate permissions set up shortly after receiving it, but this would be an annoying (and costlier) inconvenience. And if the funds were sent unsolicited, there can be an arbitrarily long period of time during which the funds can be stolen by an attacker who knows the account's active private key and is scanning the blockchain with it looking for opportunities to make money.

Of course stealth transfer recipient's having many different permission structures harms privacy. If only one account has an M-of-N multisig set up for a particular value of M and N, then sending a stealth transfer to that account while respecting their multisig permissions would create an output balance with a M-of-N multisig spending permission, which would clearly associate the supposedly stealth balance output to the named account.

For maximum privacy while still balancing usability, I think all stealth transfer output balances on the blockchain should follow the same spending permission system that I will describe next. Each account that specifies that it can receive stealth transfers should also specify three public keys: a hot key, a cold key, and a third-party key. Each of these keys will be converted into an obscured version for use in the output balance using child key derivation. The obscured hot key will be derived from the hot key using a child index of sha256(sha256(V)), where V is the shared secret. The obscured cold key will be derived from the hot key using a child index of sha256(sha256(sha256(V))). And, the obscured third-party key will be derived from the third-party key using a child index of sha256(sha256(sha256(sha256(V)))). The different hashes are used so that if any of the three keys are the same, that equality relationship will not also be visible with the obscured keys. Furthermore, the index for deriving the obscured third-party key from the third-party key (for use in possibly signing a spending transaction) can be shared with the third-party without exposing the decryption key for the memo or the blinding factor for the blinded balances to the third-party. To spend the balance the network would require a signature from either the obscured cold key OR signatures from both the obscured hot key and the obscured third-party key. The idea is to allow the cold storage private key alone to be able to spend/recover the funds [2], or alternatively to spend/recover the funds using the hot private key and cooperation with the owner of the private key corresponding to the third-party key assigned to the account (this allows two-factor authentication even for spending output balances of stealth transfers). Now if the user is not interested in relying on a third-party, the third-party key in the account can be also set to the hot key, thus allowing either the cold storage private key or the hot active private key to spend the balance. Regardless of the setup, the public always sees output balances with three unique keys in the spending permissions, so they cannot determine whether it is a multisig setup or not.

I also think it is important to add EdDSA cryptography to Graphene so that users have a computationally and user friendly way of computing threshold signatures. The new multisig permission system in Graphene is very powerful but it has two characteristics that can be perceived as flaws in some cases. First, the number of signatures needed (and thus transaction fees) scales with the number of parties that need to sign, whereas threshold signatures are indistinguishable from a single normal signature. Second, the permissions structure is public (some entities, such as companies and organizations, may wish to hide such information with the opaque threshold signatures even though it comes at the cost of having to manually update public keys any time a single key in the permission hierarchy needs to change and also needing to coordinate the signature generation process off-chain). Furthermore, threshold signatures become very useful in stealth transfers because any of those three keys can have their independent opaque threshold scheme (I think... do hierarchical deterministic wallets using EdDSA still allow threshold signature generation?). So you can imagine that the third-party key added to an account would actually be a result of some threshold scheme set up by the two-factor security company.

[1] By the way, I think it is so important to make sure the blockchain has all the support it needs to make CoinJoin-like processes easy and efficient to do, and then also have some standard code built into the wallet frontend and backend that implements that process. It would be great if the following was possible. The user's wallets could submit to the wallet host a pseudo-transaction with blinded input operations that each pay a small unblinded fixed fee, blinded (with random blinding factors) output operations that each pay a small unblinded fixed fee, and the blinding factor difference to make the balance proof possible. Then the host waits to collect these pseudo-transactions (for the same asset type) from many different users and aggregates them together in random order into a single transaction (the wallet host will have to balance inputs and outputs by adding to the transaction a commitment to 0 value with a blinding factor equal to the sum of the collected blinding factor differences, and also sign that commitment with the blinding factor to prove it is committed to a 0 value). Then the wallet host sends the completed unsigned transaction to all those users so they can verify, sign, and send the signatures to the wallet host who would then finally broadcast the final signed CoinJoin transaction. The wallet host knows the metadata of which inputs map to which outputs (but not the amounts which are blinded), but the public doesn't know either the amounts or the mapping.

[2] I believe it is also necessary for the hot active private key to always be set up such that it can be derived from the cold storage private key since the hot active private key is needed to derive the one-time private key for the output balances of the transaction which is in turn needed to calculate the shared secret V. In fact, going from the one-time private key to V also requires knowing the recipients public key, which means the recipient of the transaction must be known. Since there is so much free space available thanks to the blinding proofs, it shouldn't be any problem to use some of that space to store important information to help recovery. For example a decryption key derived from the one-time private key could be used to decrypt a fixed-size first segment of the encrypted memo that stores information meant for the senders eyes only. This information would store a small checksum and the account ID of the recipient (and perhaps even the recipient public key as well to speed the process up if space isn't a problem) which would provide enough information to then derive V. The encrypted memo may even have a fixed-size second segment which can be decrypted by an observer (assuming the recipient account assigned an observer account for stealth transfers) and would have a checksum to let the observer know that this transaction output was meant for them and the account ID of the recipient so that the observer would know who to inform of the transaction. Then the rest of the encrypted memo would be the third segment which would be the original encrypted memo that uses V as the encryption/decryption key. The observer could scan the blockchain with just a single key to quickly determine whether the transaction outputs of a stealth transfer concerned them or not, and if it did, with a little more work could determine the recipient account that (if the account was a customer of the observer) would need to somehow be informed of the existence of this transaction since it would very likely be a stealth transfer of some asset to the recipient. That way senders don't need to rely on off-chain methods of communicating the existence of a balance output to the recipient, and also it is in theory possible for the user to recover all stealth balances without needing full access to the blockchain by delegating the scanning task to the user's observer (perhaps after compensating the observer with some fee) and without needing to reveal any information to the observer that could allow it to steal (or even view the balance of) the funds.
Edit: Actually, after thinking about the cryptography more, I believe what I missed was that the "free" space in the signature used in the memos could only be useful for those who are supposed to be able to see the unblinded values. If I understand it correctly, the random nature (to those without a decryption key) of the encrypted memo means that outsiders cannot tell which version of the commitment in the ring for each blinded bit is the "corrected" one, but those with the decryption key would easily be able to deduce that information and thus figure out what the underlying value actually is. So, again assuming I understood correctly, it is only possible to design the cryptography to share the "free" memo space between the sender and receiver (both of which must be able to get access to the plain-text amount), but not an observer who is not supposed to know the plain-text amount (the observer would just need a separate small fixed-size memo field outside of the signature if we would want it to be able to do its job).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:10:09 am by arhag »

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Yes, will vote and needs to be implemented wasp.

Offline betax

• View Profile
This is great, privacy and transparency.