Author Topic: What if BitShares could have perfect privacy?  (Read 17282 times)

Offline Riverhead

Sounds like we need a smart contract that pays out on milestones rather than time :).

Offline montpelerin

• View Profile
This sounds terrific.

Questions:

1. Will this allow for private voting, as questioned previously by Akado? ( - Private voting should work just fine given Bitshares stake voting method - )

2. Will the contract payment be subject to a significant vesting schedule?

I'd like to see the community use the opportunity of this first new worker proposal to begin a practice of requiring a reasonable percentage and duration for vesting large payments. Obviously, not all workers will be able to delay large amounts for excessive amounts of time. However, I'd like to see most workers employed by Bitshares make this offer as a proof-of-faith in both the potential benefit of their particular proposal to Bitshares overall value, as well as the Bitshares community, in general.

Because incentives.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Depending upon the payout terms, and vesting schedule I would most certainly vote for a delegate that promoted paying 2M BTS to workers to enable this system.

With that on topic comment above, I feel liberated to quote
with the new multisig system wouldn't it be possible to create a general account and them make every fund a user sends, pass through before reaching the destiny? Then automate the timings of each transaction, ie. i want to send 100 bts to user X, i send them to that general account, which would then send 10 bts, then 20 bts, etc to user X. Making everyone's transactions pass through and with TITAN, would it be possible to know the origin of the transactions?

However, I think the biggest problem we have is anonymous voting. Once that's figured out, tx will be too. But private transactions with votes being public jeopardizes the network

and to bring in an old favorite.  Spooner. from no treason 6
NT.6.2.14   7. As all the different votes are given secretly (by secret ballot), there is no legal means of knowing, from the votes themselves, who votes for, and who votes against, the Constitution. Therefore, voting affords no legal evidence that any particular individual supports the Constitution. And where there can be no legal evidence that any particular individual supports the Constitution, it cannot legally be said that anybody supports it. It is clearly impossible to have any legal proof of the intentions of large numbers of men, where there can be no legal proof of the intentions of any particular one of them.
NT.6.2.15   8. There being no legal proof of any man's intentions, in voting, we can only conjecture them. As a conjecture, it is probable, that a very large proportion of those who vote, do so on this principle, viz., that if, by voting, they could but get the government into their own hands (or that of their friends), and use its powers against their opponents, they would then willingly support the Constitution; but if their opponents are to have the power, and use it against them, then they would not willingly support the Constitution.
NT.6.2.16   In short, men’s voluntary support of the Constitution is doubtless, in most cases, wholly contingent upon the question whether, by means of the Constitution, they can make themselves masters, or are to be made slaves.
NT.6.2.17   Such contingent consent as that is, in law and reason, no consent at all.
NT.6.2.18   9. As everybody who supports the Constitution by voting (if there are any such) does so secretly (by secret ballot), and in a way to avoid all personal responsibility for the acts of his agents or representatives, it cannot legally or reasonably be said that anybody at all supports the Constitution by voting. No man can reasonably or legally be said to do such a thing as assent to, or support, the Constitution, unless he does it openly, and in a way to make himself personally responsible for the acts of his agents, so long as they act within the limits of the power he delegates to them.
NT.6.2.19   10. As all voting is secret (by secret ballot), and as all secret governments are necessarily only secret bands of robbers, tyrants, and murderers, the general fact that our government is practically carried on by means of such voting, only proves that there is among us a secret band of robbers, tyrants, and murderers, whose purpose is to rob, enslave, and, so far as necessary to accomplish their purposes, murder, the rest of the people. The simple fact of the existence of such a band does nothing towards proving that “the people of the United States,” or any one of them, voluntarily supports the Constitution.
NT.6.2.20   For all the reasons that have now been given, voting furnishes no legal evidence as to who the particular individuals are (if there are any), who voluntarily support the Constitution. It therefore furnishes no legal evidence that anybody supports it voluntarily.

I think it rather elegantly explains the reasons why a secret vote could never work.  It is admittedly off topic, but a good read none the less.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline merivercap

• View Profile
    • BitCash
Yeah this is great.  I heard Greg Maxwell discuss this at the Sidechains Bitcoin meetup.  It seems like a very good and efficient solution. 
BitCash - http://www.bitcash.org 
Beta: bitCash Wallet / p2p Gateway: (https://m.bitcash.org)
Beta: bitCash Trade (https://trade.bitcash.org)

Offline yellowecho

amazing. a no brainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
Privacy means more personal responsibility for tracking keys and larger wallets.   Seems like a reasonable trade off.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Just when we got used to our weakness.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
with the new multisig system wouldn't it be possible to create a general account and them make every fund a user sends, pass through before reaching the destiny? Then automate the timings of each transaction, ie. i want to send 100 bts to user X, i send them to that general account, which would then send 10 bts, then 20 bts, etc to user X. Making everyone's transactions pass through and with TITAN, would it be possible to know the origin of the transactions?

However, I think the biggest problem we have is anonymous voting. Once that's figured out, tx will be too. But private transactions with votes being public jeopardizes the network
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Confidential addresses couldn't vote because no one knows the balance. 

Yeah, which means people protecting their BTS balances will be in opposition to network security.

What if it was possible to count some of the blinded BTS votes if the owner elected to share the blinding factor with some trusted third party (thus exposing their balance amount to that third party)? You could have some subset of balances that all voted for witness 8, and the trusted third party could provide proof that the summation of the blinded values of all the accounts in this subset is a BTS amount X (they can sum all the blinded factors they collect and use that to sign the proof). Then the network could recognize that and add X votes to witness 8's approval rating.

Light wallets need out of band notification.   

But what happens if you lose your local data (but not your private key). You in theory have enough information to recover access to your funds if you had a full client with access to the blockchain. But at 100,000 tx/s it is not feasible. And you don't want to give your private key away to someone to do it for you because they could steal your funds. Observer keys could allow you to expose your financial history to a trusted third party (but not access) for the sake of recovering your account from a single brain key imported into a lightweight wallet.

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
Confidential addresses couldn't vote because no one knows the balance. 

Light wallets need out of band notification.   

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Didn't stealth addresses (aka TITAN) give all kinds of problems which was the reason they were removed in 2.0? How are stealth addresses going to be done differently this time to avoid all of those complications? In particular, how do lightweight wallets reliably keep track of all their balances without access to the full blockchain and without compromising their privacy? Is the compromise some kind of observer private key that is shared with the wallet host (meaning your wallet host knows the accounts you transact with but not the amounts but the rest of the world doesn't know both)? How does voting work with confidential transactions? Wouldn't only public BTS balances be able to vote for delegates/witnesses/workers?

Offline JA

• View Profile