Author Topic: Why have bitAssets been renamed to SmartCoins in 2.0?!  (Read 9703 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
+5% for the smart move. :)
+5 from me also...  and I want all smart watch owners make smart coins viral...  I can imagine our bitshares home page with a smart watch that clearly demonstrates bitshares2.0

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
get rid of the shadow of bitcoin.

Yes, I think that everyone here has suffered enough "bit" fatigue to last a lifetime.

Bitcoin was hip....like 5 years ago.

Please, can we all just move on already.  it's mid 2015 for gods sake.

It's the smart thing to do.

will bitUSD keep its name?

Of course, but there is absolutely no good reason why bitUSD needs to be called a "BitShares bitasset"

For the love of god.

BitShares smart coin

see
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:32:43 pm by Erlich Bachman »
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
"Smartcoins" is an overarching rename of the bitassets, which will still individually retain their names, right? e.g. bitUSD will keep its name?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I think smartcoin and smartchain is great and necessary, because it can get rid of the shadow of bitcoin.
When I see some crypto asset called bitXXX, I can't stop thinking about it is something originated from bitcoin.
Just like if there was one product called iXXX, it makes you to consider it as a Apple product.

+5% it's so much easier to market with the new name.

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
I guess their main purpose is for people to use them to pay for things, so calling them coins rather than assets makes sense to me.

Offline 麥可貓

• View Profile
I think smartcoin and smartchain is great and necessary, because it can get rid of the shadow of bitcoin.
When I see some crypto asset called bitXXX, I can't stop thinking about it is something originated from bitcoin.
Just like if there was one product called iXXX, it makes you to consider it as a Apple product.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:38:17 pm by 麥可貓 »
PTS: PmRVDPymZqSAZEXauHZSewrUrE66af7epT
BTSX: michaelcat
Delegate Team: x1.sun  x2.sun

Offline Riverhead

Good question. Probably related to regulatory reason but we'll have to wait for someone in the know to answer.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Didn't you know? Coming up with new names is 90% of the innovation!

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
That is the whole point. To cause confusion so that less people will adopt the chain.

Remember the confusion around Bitshares X, Bitshares Y, Bitshares Z, etc?

Part of brand recognition is staying consistent. Pick one name and stick with it no matter what. Don't be like Mastercoin and change it to Omni and have Mastercoin holders not even know what happened to Mastercoin.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline monsterer

Renaming bitAssets to SmartCoins would be great if you were creating a completely separate and competing blockchain to bitshares, but not if you are planning to 'upgrade' the chain.

By changing the name, you cause confusion and make the history of the technology even more muddy, IMO.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads