Author Topic: Why have bitAssets been renamed to SmartCoins in 2.0?!  (Read 9701 times)

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
Why not SmartMoney? Is there a legal issue with using "money" ?

Meh. Just doesn't sound...sexy enough.

:P

Offline lakerta06

Why not SmartMoney? Is there a legal issue with using "money" ?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
As i understand, SmartCoin is the umbrella brand but BitUSD, etc.  will still remain .. but not under umbrella brand BitAssets, right?
I am fine with that .. but we need to communicate it properly!!

Personally i like BitAssets ...but i get the point .. when you want to describe BitAssets as a stable fiat market-pegged currency, most people won't get it!
Smartcoins are able to imitate every stable currency out there.. sounds easier to me .. but again .. i like BitAssets .. and i'm also thinking many have noticed BitAssets
during the past months .. anyway ...

+5%

SmartCoin is much easier to market to non crypto folks as digital money. no need to explain the bit part, or associate it with bitcoin or cryptocurrency in general.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
As i understand, SmartCoin is the umbrella brand but BitUSD, etc.  will still remain .. but not under umbrella brand BitAssets, right?

Personally i like BitAssets ...but i get the point .. when you want to describe BitAssets as a stable fiat market-pegged currency, most people won't get it!
Smartcoins are able to imitate every stable currency out there.. sounds easier to me .. but again .. i like BitAssets .. and i'm also thinking many have noticed BitAssets
during the past months .. anyway ...
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
The "Devs" are trying to stay out of branding issues and trusting Max W, Adam, and MikeX.
... and couls they enlighten the community about their reasoning and join the discussions?

The decision seem to be made without community consensus (whatever that means)

Offline bytemaster

The "Devs" are trying to stay out of branding issues and trusting Max W, Adam, and MikeX.   

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Smart is a terrible prefix - trendy, awkward and very difficult to market.

BitAssets piggyback the collective understanding that BitCoin has built over the past six years.

BitSomething = CryptoSomething

Smart also instantly alienates huge demographics of users and really only appeals to the 20 something and younger crowd.

I can't believe the devs are considering such a move, if in fact they are.

Immense damage to an already confused brand.

Just don't.
I tend to agree .. though I wouldnt call crypto a "huge" user base

Tuck Fheman

Listen OldMan,

You've got to evolve. If you can't handle "Smartcoins" how are you possibly going to deal with "Protocoins"© in 2016 when we give a nod to the original???

Disclaimer : Please don't bother reading this post unless you're coming in with a sense of humour. Put your glasses on OldMan, so you can read this. =b

Offline mint chocolate chip

Anyone who has a website (or offline marketing materials, i.e. brochures) and has mentioned BitAssets, you should probably go and update every reference to the new SmartCoins (SmartChain as well). Doing so will help aid adoption and lessen confusion going forward if all of our auxiliary sites use the new name. I've spent most of the day today updating broken links from bitshares.org's overhaul and name change references for my two sites, bitsharesmarket.com and bitsharesblog.com

Offline bobmaloney

I interpret this as allowing for term interchangeably.
I can see each term to have beneficial target demographics.

Plus, it seems one added benefit of CNX is that it creates a gateway, if you will - to play in the governmental regulation sandbox while remaining a completely separate entity than Bitshares...a state-watching sentry by proxy.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:02:09 am by bobmaloney »
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Bit SmartMarmot sounds so much better than BitMarmot. :)

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
I think of a Smart Coin as a coin with a unique set of digital properties.  BitAssets are a type of Smart Coins - UIA's are another.  I'm sure people can come up with many others.  It is a good idea to use both terms.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline oldman

• View Profile

BitAssets piggyback the collective understanding that BitCoin has built over the past six years.

BitSomething = CryptoSomething

Smart also instantly alienates huge demographics of users and really only appeals to the 20 something and younger crowd.

I can't believe the devs are considering such a move, if in fact they are.

Just don't.