Author Topic: What order would be most optimal to learn the code  (Read 1907 times)

Offline VoR0220

Is anybody going to answer this or no?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline VoR0220

A) I'd like to contribute to the code with Cryptonomex (because these dudes are going places)
B) I'm not sure whether I want to build a business ON TOP of the blockchain or whether I will need to make a separate blockchain. In order to figure that out, I will need to understand the capabilities of this current blockchain.

With that said, I am already on brushing up on my javascript skills and have taken to learning Node.js which seems like it'd be appropriate for this. It would seem that the best approach would be to make a separate chain but in order to do that and morph it to the needs, I will need to learn the code. I'm aware of the licensing and have talked with Bytemaster and am open to negotiating in order to use a separate blockchain, or even building a side chain. The point is, I'd like to know the product I build and would like to help the BitShares ecosystem.

My recommendation is to try to stay on the BitShares chain if at all possible for shared network effect and interoperability.
Reasons for sacrificing these advantages:

1.  Your application is philosophically incompatible - e.g. you want to build a government controlled chain.
2.  Your economics are different - e.g. you need micropayments and ultra low cost transaction fees or some other rate structure.
3.  You need to distribute new shares to a different demographic to gain their support and all the shares on this chain are already taken.

These are some of the reasons we might agree to license Graphene to another chain, since by definition it can't compete because of its inherent incompatibilities.

Otherwise, if a chain competes with BitShares we would tend to accept the challenge and compete right back.  (That is unlikely to result in a license of Graphene.)  :)

Better to join us or convince us you are harmless.

If you are plowing new ground and give our BTSholders a stake, we would generally be in favor of that.

That said, we have learned that at all times we are dumber now than we will be later, so we want to defer every decision possible to our future smarter selves.

It has moreso to do with block signers and the need for them to be far more and dynamic....if that makes sense? In other words, rather than have a couple 100 delegates, I am looking for around 1000. I would like to work with crypronomex and not compete and have made my goals clear to Dan and he seemed open and receptive to the idea. He has told me that I should look to build on top of the chain but that due to how I am setting it up it may need its own. In any case it will make a great case study of how bitshares can be used.

That's not the point however. I would gladly build on top of the chain if I felt it suited what I was trying to do.

The point here is in learning the code and what would be the most optimal way to learn the code.

Edit: I should also add that the economics of the chain are different and would need to operate on micro transactions. Point being, its likely another chain is needed but I am all for full integration with the crypronomex blockchain.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:52:52 pm by VoR0220 »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

That said, we have learned that at all times we are dumber now than we will be later, so we want to defer every decision possible to our future smarter selves.

Very well said

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
A) I'd like to contribute to the code with Cryptonomex (because these dudes are going places)
B) I'm not sure whether I want to build a business ON TOP of the blockchain or whether I will need to make a separate blockchain. In order to figure that out, I will need to understand the capabilities of this current blockchain.

With that said, I am already on brushing up on my javascript skills and have taken to learning Node.js which seems like it'd be appropriate for this. It would seem that the best approach would be to make a separate chain but in order to do that and morph it to the needs, I will need to learn the code. I'm aware of the licensing and have talked with Bytemaster and am open to negotiating in order to use a separate blockchain, or even building a side chain. The point is, I'd like to know the product I build and would like to help the BitShares ecosystem.

My recommendation is to try to stay on the BitShares chain if at all possible for shared network effect and interoperability.
Reasons for sacrificing these advantages:

1.  Your application is philosophically incompatible - e.g. you want to build a government controlled chain.
2.  Your economics are different - e.g. you need micropayments and ultra low cost transaction fees or some other rate structure.
3.  You need to distribute new shares to a different demographic to gain their support and all the shares on this chain are already taken.

These are some of the reasons we might agree to license Graphene to another chain, since by definition it can't compete because of its inherent incompatibilities.

Otherwise, if a chain competes with BitShares we would tend to accept the challenge and compete right back.  (That is unlikely to result in a license of Graphene.)  :)

Better to join us or convince us you are harmless.

If you are plowing new ground and give our BTSholders a stake, we would generally be in favor of that.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline VoR0220

With that said, I am already on brushing up on my javascript skills and have taken to learning Node.js which seems like it'd be appropriate for this. It would seem that the best approach would be to make a separate chain but in order to do that and morph it to the needs, I will need to learn the code. I'm aware of the licensing and have talked with Bytemaster and am open to negotiating in order to use a separate blockchain, or even building a side chain. The point is, I'd like to know the product I build and would like to help the Bitshares ecosystem.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:03:09 am by VoR0220 »

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog
If you want to build a business on top of it, learning how to use javascript to do request to the API is a good place to start.

Offline VoR0220

I've been looking over the code and I've come to the conclusion that the best place to start would be learning the actual blockchain via the chain library. My question to the devs now is what order does it make most sense to learn this in for the sake of haste? Let me know and thanks again.