Author Topic: Proposal: get a 2.0 Forum with the Launch of BitShares 2.0  (Read 10949 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
It might be nice, but this is an aesthetic change that would not rank up there for me.
Now what I would like to see down the track is some industrial grade app that could operate like a collaborative workbench like a true decentralised business would want to use, where users could form project networks, securely share working files, host decentralised meetings, etc etc.
Slack on a blockchain?

THISSSSSS -----  +5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Riverhead

It might be nice, but this is an aesthetic change that would not rank up there for me.
Now what I would like to see down the track is some industrial grade app that could operate like a collaborative workbench like a true decentralised business would want to use, where users could form project networks, securely share working files, host decentralised meetings, etc etc.
Slack on a blockchain?

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
you want innovate with bitshares 2.0 and then send people to this forum? it's like showing them our current client.

Don't see connection with innovate bitshares 2.0 and our current client. I give NeuCoin forum as example of Discourse.

also, no problem with neucoin forum, it's just a matter of adaption

Everything is matter of adaptation, but why we should change something which works good for us, only because we want users think what we do great things like changing forum engine?

because our current client is outdated and last gen, in a sense. and this is not about personal prefernece, it's just every other competitor moved away from the old bitcointalk style. We should not fail to follow the trend,

Offline JA

• View Profile
Maybe let @cass or someone else change the css
If someone has some ideas we could use stylebot https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylebot/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha to check it out before we apply it.

Offline testz

you want innovate with bitshares 2.0 and then send people to this forum? it's like showing them our current client.

Don't see connection with innovate bitshares 2.0 and our current client. I give NeuCoin forum as example of Discourse.

Everything is matter of adaptation, but why we should change something which works good for us, only because we want users think what we do great things like changing forum engine?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
I'd support migrating to Discourse, which seems to be what all the cool kids use these days.

The only reason we haven't switched to Discourse is because there are no good mobile clients for it. About half of the bitsharestalk traffic is mobile (especially China).

Discourse looks better and easier to use in my mobile browser than this forum.

I'm not supporting migration to Discourse (or to other forum engine). Forum for us it's a working tool, why we need to change something that works good/great?

Try to read this forum for 5 minutes, then back to our forum and you will understand the difference:
http://forum.neucoin.org/

Offline testz

I'd support migrating to Discourse, which seems to be what all the cool kids use these days.

The only reason we haven't switched to Discourse is because there are no good mobile clients for it. About half of the bitsharestalk traffic is mobile (especially China).

I'm not supporting migration to Discourse (or to other forum engine). Forum for us it's a working tool, why we need to change something that works good/great?

Try to read this forum for 5 minutes, then back to our forum and you will understand the difference:
http://forum.neucoin.org/

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I dont see how the forum can be decentral unless u put the sql db stuff in our blockchain bloating it with a forum which wouldnt provide much financial incentive to host it and if u charge per post noone will post.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Qora only can host a simple html page.

that is about to change. https://goo.gl/CnmCpN

Its easy to be abke to put any amount of data in the blockchain infact I was thinking about putting popcorntime on a chain and create a custom browser to be able to browse a decentral website analogous to any other site.. howver the better way is to do ddns which really isnt out there unless u wanna run a custom dns resolver on ur system. So i dont think any of the hard problems are being solved by qora unless im mistaken? A whitepaper would help.

Offline bitsapphire

Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline vikram

Are there better forum templates available on GitHub?

even with  a forum tech migration, it'd be great if all history of this forum, incl. user profiles and posts, migrated into the new one.

Yes I would think this should be a prerequisite for any upgrade that might happen.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
Are there better forum templates available on GitHub?

even with  a forum tech migration, it'd be great if all history of this forum, incl. user profiles and posts, migrated into the new one.

Offline vikram

I would support migrating the forum to hosted Discourse https://payments.discourse.org/buy/ controlled be a few trusted community leaders and funded by a paid delegate position, and maybe moving the url to be forum.bitshares.org.

Tuck Fheman

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Qora already put blogs on a blockchain, so let's put the forum on the blockchain!  :P

we're working with CIYAM on a decentralized forum application ;)

I knew it was too cool to be my idea.

why not work with qora to get a full featured solution? DNS/WEB/Blog/Forum
Qora only can host a simple html page.. There is no ddns built in.. For that it's more complicated and qora is really simple solution

Offline vikram

It's an important question to consider; the forum is the most important resource and consensus-building tool the stakeholders have right now.

Offline vikram

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

Offline karnal

• View Profile
This one is just fine, imo. If it ain't broken..

Tuck Fheman

you left the decentralized forum option off of the poll.  ;)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
poll added ... let us take a look what community thinks about!
If 2.0 .. sure go ahead .. just want to say... we don't have time to test etc it currently due the fact we have to much on TODO currently... and this forum works well for most of us :)

I'm using other forums (2.0) but i'm still fine SMF here ..
c

doesn't have to be right away. with the launch of bitshares 2.0 would be okay

Offline Riverhead

.. we don't have time to test etc it currently due the fact we have to much on TODO currently... and this forum works well for most of us :)

MmmHmmm ;)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
poll added ... let us take a look what community thinks about!
If 2.0 .. sure go ahead .. just want to say... we don't have time to test etc it currently due the fact we have to much on TODO currently... and this forum works well for most of us :)

I'm using other forums (2.0) but i'm still fine SMF here ..
c

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
lol ...so on top of all this new things poppin up you think users can then also just learn how to use new forum then?
... when all is in line etc.. then yes maybe it would make sense .. but IMO not yet ..

this argument stays only true for people ONLY using ONE forum. everyone else, plus new users are most likely familiar with "2.0" forums and prefer that experience.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
Qora already put blogs on a blockchain, so let's put the forum on the blockchain!  :P

why not work with qora to get a full featured solution? DNS/WEB/Blog/Forum

Tuck Fheman

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Tuck Fheman

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
lol ...so on top of all this new things poppin up you think users can then also just learn how to use new forum then?
... when all is in line etc.. then yes maybe it would make sense .. but IMO not yet ..

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
we discussed this in depth before ...

I'm personally not thinking we should change forum ... then users have to get familiar with a new software etc.

just my 2 cents

there's always a learning process. users have to learn bitshares 2.0 too, but that can't stop the movement. right?

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
we discussed this in depth before ...

I'm personally not thinking we should change forum ... then users have to get familiar with a new software etc.

just my 2 cents

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
There are so many state of the art forums (eg. forum.gethashing.com) with messaging, social, and many more features.

why don't we follow up with our new product?