Author Topic: What's a Whale?  (Read 7071 times)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
A whale is whoever buys enough to get us to break .053 CNY. :D
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mangou007

I'm just hoping one day bts surpasses bitcoins all time high of approximately 12 billion market cap. Anyone think that is feasible in the next few years?  I look forward to that day so I can finally walk out of my day job and not have to go back the next morning...

Anyway I think a whale should be classified by having the ability to move price say 5-10% on liquidation

It's not feasible.. its inevitable.

Just loving that kind of thoughts....  :D

But to be serious, I agree on the fact that being  a "whale" is having the power to make the share value to either increase or decrease. The market cap being linked to the price of the share it has not a lot to do with it, but just the %age of shares owned.
My guess is that 0.1% of the share is kind of a small number to make significant changes in overall share price.
Whales IMO would rather be in $ injected in or out of the system.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:08:25 pm by mangou007 »
BitShares French ConneXion, le portail francophone de BitShares
BitShares French ConneXion, the BitShares French gateway
www.bitsharesfcx.com

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
What is your definition of a BitShares whale?

Cryptonomex and BTC38

They do have a lot. Do you think if BTC38 got goxed it would whip out pretty much most of the Chinese investment community?

If we could isolate/remove most of  the BTC38 stake in such an event it would probably end up being a good advert for a decentralised exchange & might end up being neutral. A bigger issue would be if they tried to influence voting but they've been pretty good so far. 

Cryptonomex though would be like us (BTS) owning a much smaller but controlling stake in NXT.  Good luck to NXT in that scenario  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:30:35 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
Just wanted to make a point .. bts was at 70m and 200m are definitely within reach in few months (imho) (not an investment advice)

Hence you would have a nice position with 0.01% already (depending on the definition of "nice")

Makes sense!

I'd like to add another definition to "whale". I believe term "whale" should be related to the capacity of an individual or entity to move the market price significantly if he/she/it decides to liquidate their position. So it all depends on the liquidity of the market, the % of shares the whale owns and the market cap.
This .. makes even more sense .. thanks

agreed...whale is relative in terms of ability to move prices with their trades. it's like in economics for when you assume a fully competitive market is one in which everyone is a price taker (your action can't move prices, you just take the market price as given); a whale would be a trader not subject to the same price assumption.

Offline JA

• View Profile
I think a whale is someone that has 10x the amount of shares than the avarage stakeholder has

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Hopefully someday we can get really really profitable and actually get back down to 2 bil shares. Then I'll have 0.01% and be a "whale" (at least in xeroc's eyes).  :D

I'm just hoping one day bts surpasses bitcoins all time high of approximately 12 billion market cap. Anyone think that is feasible in the next few years?  I look forward to that day so I can finally walk out of my day job and not have to go back the next morning...

Anyway I think a whale should be classified by having the ability to move price say 5-10% on liquidation

12 bil would make me a millionaire. If it's "inevitable" I might as well quit my job now and wait for that BTS paycheck to come in the mail.  :P

There are millionaire secretaries today who worked at Microsoft back in the 80s. :)

Stranger things have happened.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
Hopefully someday we can get really really profitable and actually get back down to 2 bil shares. Then I'll have 0.01% and be a "whale" (at least in xeroc's eyes).  :D

12 bil would make me a millionaire. If it's "inevitable" I might as well quit my job now and wait for that BTS paycheck to come in the mail.  :P

Just tell me the number of whales you want ?

From there it is easy (relatively).

I just like to see if we can get a definition that works so that everytime someone says 'whale' we all are on the same page about what's being said.

It's such a relative term, it would be nice if we had some guidelines on deciding who is a whale.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Cryptonomex and BTC38

They do have a lot. Do you think if BTC38 got goxed it would whip out pretty much most of the Chinese investment community?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Just tell me the number of whales you want ?

From there it is easy (relatively).
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile

So by this definition how many 'whales' does BitShares REALLY have?

I guess it's hard to get a clear cut number, having a few variables to account for in the evaluation. Using the definition I just came up with a few minutes ago, using market liquidity adds a lot of volatility in the total number of whales Bitshares has at any one time, so in the end to simplify things it could all boil down to the % of shares owned and market value.

Just wanted to make a point .. bts was at 70m and 200m are definitely within reach in few months (imho) (not an investment advice)

Hence you would have a nice position with 0.01% already (depending on the definition of "nice")

Makes sense!

I'd like to add another definition to "whale". I believe term "whale" should be related to the capacity of an individual or entity to move the market price significantly if he/she/it decides to liquidate their position. So it all depends on the liquidity of the market, the % of shares the whale owns and the market cap.

So by this definition how many 'whales' does BitShares REALLY have?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

Cryptonomex and BTC38
If you want to take the island burn the boats

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Makes sense!

This .. makes even more sense .. thanks