Author Topic: Where to put my virtual private server for running BTS delegate node?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline bulletproof

OK, will have a go at a Ruby RPC API to start with then - will make sure I understand it! Just sent you a PR on your Python one btw (just a typo)
Everything is awesome, or if it isn't it ought to be.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I'd volunteer to have a stab, but I see the repo is Node/Angular and I'm a more of a Ruby guy with only basic JS  :(
It's free market .. do whatever you would like to do with whatever tools you prefer .. just DO IT :)

Offline bulletproof

I'd volunteer to have a stab, but I see the repo is Node/Angular and I'm a more of a Ruby guy with only basic JS  :(

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Related (I hope) - does Bitshares have, or have plans to develop a 'health of the network' nodes map - like Bitcoin's? I'd have thought it may be of general interest and maybe a useful marketing tool to show network robustness - though acknowledge @xeroc's comment about near instant location changeability.
It's on my things-to-do list :) not sure when I can do this though ..

Offline bulletproof

Related (I hope) - does Bitshares have, or have plans to develop a 'health of the network' nodes map - like Bitcoin's? I'd have thought it may be of general interest and maybe a useful marketing tool to show network robustness - though acknowledge @xeroc's comment about near instant location changeability.

Thx

Offline Riverhead

I have three machines at different providers and in different countries .. switching over takes about 5-10 secs ... I wrote a quick python script for it ..

This. Stay agile :).

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I have three machines at different providers and in different countries .. switching over takes about 5-10 secs ... I wrote a quick python script for it ..

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Thanks for your response. How could I verify which hosting provider is used by the majority of delegates?

This might be tricky. You might want to check their forum information. Announcement threads...
I know that some of them are using amazon and digital ocean but I'm not sure how many of them in total.

... I guess it is OK for now to use anything. Delegates are flexible and can be relocated quickly.

Offline quitobro88

Just make sure you are not on a hosting provider with the majority of delegates.

Thanks for your response. How could I verify which hosting provider is used by the majority of delegates?

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
There is no best region.
Decentralisation and feasibility should be primary factors to consider.
You are good to go anywhere. Just make sure you are not on a hosting provider with the majority of delegates.

PS: You can always opt for hosting the node on a private hardware.
This way even if a law or hosting provider policy disables the delegates using virtual hosting services yours will still be online.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:57:01 pm by emski »

Offline quitobro88

Hey guys -

I noticed this one-liner in the [Delegate/How To](http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Delegate/How-To) section of the wiki:

> You may wish to consider the location of your VPS for jurisdiction or performance reasons.

My options are New York, Frankfurt, Singapore, Amsterdam, San Francisco or London. Can anyone tell me how to translate that cryptic sentence and select the best region?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:49:49 pm by quitobro88 »