Author Topic: A Centralized Place to Discuss 2.0 "Policies & Procedures"  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
However, those 2 things together will be a vast improvement over what we have now, IMO.

I think it's time for you to step up and moderate a sticky / sub @Thom

@vikram I'd suggest to give him control over a sub if you decide to add a new one

@Thom I've added you as mod to the BitShares 2.0 subforum. Feel free to make your sticky and whatever else you need. Hopefully this should improve things until we come up with a more complete plan on how to get organized. Let me know if you need anything else.
Now we have the @mention plugin (Although I can't work it out), could we use it to self-tag our psots across the forum as they relate to one of several pre-defined subheadings?

For example:
Hello fellow member, lol lol lol good joke.

This reminds me of an idea I had about @voting-procedures, blah blah blah
Which then calls a bot to quote the members-post, and paste it in a bot-locked 'Voting-Procedures' thread

Users would have to be educated on how to use it and which topics are important enough to need their own secion, and it won't be perfect.
But I think that even vague references to specific topics should be tagged as they provide a record of the community discussion at the time. Basically like taking minutes of our membership meetings and preserving them for history.

This would allow users to sprawl the forum and self moderate, saving one centralized forum moderator quite a lot of time.
Is it possible?
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline bobmaloney

@Thom I've added you as mod to the BitShares 2.0 subforum. Feel free to make your sticky and whatever else you need. Hopefully this should improve things until we come up with a more complete plan on how to get organized. Let me know if you need anything else.

+5
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

+5%

Offline vikram

However, those 2 things together will be a vast improvement over what we have now, IMO.

@vikram I'd suggest to give him control over a sub if you decide to add a new one

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I agree we need more organization -- and I think we need to be smart with structuring the forum in such a way that we can maximize the collective intelligence and effectiveness of the stakeholders.

Currently, policies and procedures are discussed at least in these places:
  • General Discussion
  • BitShares 2.0
  • Stakeholder Proposals
  • Questions & Concerns

I don't have an answer on what we should do, but I am thinking about it and I think it will involve more than just adding another sub/sticky.

Thanks Mr. V.  You're a smart guy and I'm curious what you'll come up with.

Regarding the solution being "more than just adding another sub/sticky", I agree. That will do nothing if not for people like fav keeping it updated.

However, those 2 things together will be a vast improvement over what we have now, IMO. If you can come up with something better, I'm all for it, as long as it will happen long before the launch of 2.0. Organization is something we need yesterday.

+5%

This was asked a lot of times in the past. An Annoucements section where only mods can create threads so we have every important info we need in one place. No need to hunt for info. That is needed but so far, nothing was done about it. It's just a sticky here, a sticky there and after a while it turns into a mess

Exactly. One problem of the past was there were no mods that performed tasks like this. I have been very vocal in support of fav, who is taking the role of forum moderator seriously and doing a good job IMO.

I see this forum as an extremely important tool for the BitShares ecosystem, and it needs to be given more attention than it has been given in the past.

I came on board about the time bitsaphire started to manage the forum, and they had big plans that seemed to evaporate into thin air. I'm sure their maintenance did provide some value, but not enough in my view, especially in the manor that fav is doing now.

+5%

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I agree we need more organization -- and I think we need to be smart with structuring the forum in such a way that we can maximize the collective intelligence and effectiveness of the stakeholders.

• General Discussion
  • BitShares 2.0
  • Stakeholder Proposals
  • Questions & Concerns

I don't have an answer on what we should do, but I am thinking about it and I think it will involve more than just adding another sub/sticky.

Regarding the solution being "more than just adding another sub/sticky", I agree. That will do nothing if not for people like fav keeping it updated.

However, those 2 things together will be a vast improvement over what we have now, IMO. If you can come up with something better, I'm all for it, as long as it will happen long before the launch of 2.0. Organization is something we need yesterday.

Offline Thom

• General Discussion
  • BitShares 2.0
  • Stakeholder Proposals
  • Questions & Concerns

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline vikram

This was asked a lot of times in the past. An Annoucements section where only mods can create threads so we have every important info we need in one place. No need to hunt for info. That is needed but so far, nothing was done about it. It's just a sticky here, a sticky there and after a while it turns into a mess

Exactly. One problem of the past was there were no mods that performed tasks like this. I have been very vocal in support of fav, who is taking the role of forum moderator seriously and doing a good job IMO.

I see this forum as an extremely important tool for the BitShares ecosystem, and it needs to be given more attention than it has been given in the past.

I came on board about the time bitsaphire started to manage the forum, and they had big plans that seemed to evaporate into thin air. I'm sure their maintenance did provide some value, but not enough in my view, especially in the manor that fav is doing now.

+5%

Offline vikram

• General Discussion
  • BitShares 2.0
  • Stakeholder Proposals
  • Questions & Concerns

Offline Thom

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Pheonike

There will need to be a Roberts Rule of Order document that defines these with a dedicated page on the website.

http://www.robertsrules.org/

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Thom

The hierarchy would be General Discussion--> BitShares 2.0--> Procedures & Policies <various topics>

Make sense?

I think you should open a meta thread.

My reason against sticky: there are too many again and it's too easy to miss news. this thread is important, and users should see activity (by jumping on top).
Another Sub: do we really need another childboard for one thread?

Not one thread. Didn't you read my description? Just off the top of my head I came up with several.

I proposed another child board under BitShares 2.0 b/c that is the logical place for it. If people don't understand hierarchy how the hell do they navigate a filesystem? If they're too complacent or lazy to click down another level perhaps they don't have much worthwhile to contribute anyway. Would it be helpful to relocate the BitShares 2.0 child board up one level?

The main point is this: even before 2.0 this forum was a sprawling octopus without mods taking care of posts the way fav has been doing recently. The structure isn't that bad but people don't bother to post in the most appropriate place, and the longtime heros don't discourage misplaced posts so it has gotten out of control. The culture here (until recently) has been post whatever where ever.

We need more focus and better organization. This place is chaotic enough for people who have been here awhile, but a nightmare for noobs. We do need Best Practices, and a clean slate for 2.0, starting with a forum that is organized to focus topics and discussion with a goal to resolve as many issues as can be identified before 2.0 launches.

One possibility would be to create a single, locked sticky post that only the mods can update, which contains a collection of links to specific messages or OPs that raise an issue of policy or procedure. They can stay wherever they may be found, anywhere on the forum. It could be a single post under the sticky that is updated with new links or it may be a different post for each topic that gets updated. Either way such a sticky would be one central place to organize such discussions, no matter where they occur on the forum. Once people recognize the usefulness of having such an "index" they will help mods by flagging such topics for inclusion into the index. It won't get out of hand b/c only the mods have the ability to update the locked sticky / threads. For example:

Voting Procedures
Referral Membership Policy
Account Transfer Policies & Procedures
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:56:56 pm by Thom »