Author Topic: BitShares 2.0 SmartCoin  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Nice graphic fav!  +5%

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Haha not too such about the big pile of cash money dolla dolla!

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

Could a major govt buy stake + bribery money to steer bts in their own direction?

A major government could purchase a controlling stake in all POS coins, while purchasing enough hashing power to control all POW coins at the same time without batting an eye. 

For example the penultimate major government the federal united states government spent 3.5 trillion dollars in 2014.  That is almost 10 billion dollars a day. 

The question is not if they could do it.  The question is why wouldn't they use the thugs they already own in the media, and the law enforcement agencies to do the job at a much reduced price.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Or are you saying that by having the privacy tech implemented from the get go, the government will become habituated to it and be less likely to consider banning it than if the system becomes a success and then we finally decide to implement the privacy tech?
Yeah this, maybe it wasn't the best way to get my point across.

My thinking is that if BitShares was mainstream tomorrow, and everyone and her grandma was using it because some government decided to issue a gov-coin UIA - suggesting implementing strong privacy features could earn you an intense media frenzy of "terror terror terror" and resistance to its implementation.
Obviously that's not not likely to happen before privacy is implemented but I don't want to see these things left to chance.
Would a media frenzy be able to sway shareholder vote? I guess what I'm getting at is are the majority of shareholders here for the principles or not?

Once DPOS 2 is up and running and everything is subject to shareholder approval I think it should be ok, but we're not there yet and one major feature I expected from bts was basic privacy.
Could a major govt buy stake + bribery money to steer bts in their own direction?
I don't know if these are rational questions or not but getting them publicly answered can only be a good thing

I do understand that it's very very hard to maintain privacy and perhaps I am making a mountain out of a molehill.
I just really don't want BitShares to drift from it's principles of freedom from tyranny
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:53:46 pm by Permie »
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Yep, privacy is needed before mainstream. Most future users will be so apathetic that they won't care if "the government" says traceable-bts is ok but bans privacy features. (Not sure how they'd do it, but why leave it to chance?)
I think that the horse has to have bolted out the door with a full set of armour, else get ridden by the long dick of the law once they catch it later.

I'm not sure I get what you are saying here. If the government decides to ban the privacy features, does it make much of a difference to regular users whether the privacy tech is already implemented or not? (And it won't be hard for anyone, much less a state actor, to detect when an account is using the privacy features. And if the government only permits whitelisted accounts, that also means it won't be hard for them to detect when a person is using the privacy features.)

Or are you saying that by having the privacy tech implemented from the get go, the government will become habituated to it and be less likely to consider banning it than if the system becomes a success and then we finally decide to implement the privacy tech?

Anyway, it seems the confidential transaction stuff (blinded values) will be implemented on BitShares 2.0 soon after launch. All the heavy work has already been done by the guys at Blockstream. And while this is much needed and will be a great improvement in privacy, the big concern is if this is good enough (unlikely IMO). By itself it won't protect the metadata of who is transferring money to whom (it only hides the amounts). Users who want to use funds for market operations, smart contracts, or voting will need to reveal the plain-text amounts. That fact plus blockchain analysis means that a lot of financial data is still likely to leak to sophisticated adversaries (and I fear even Confidential Transactions + CoinJoin won't be enough to prevent this). I think we will still be figuring out more and more clever ways to improve privacy years from now, and it will never be perfect.

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Yup, +5%.

I think we're headed in the right direction, less emphasis on BitShares being the latest to-the-moon investment and more about normal people using the system on a normal day. The two are not mutually exclusive, of course, but daily usage should be the target.

<offtopic>
I take the opportunity to once again state the opinion that we must organize with Cryptonomex and have BTS 2.0 have strong privacy measures baked in.
Personally I think it will be catastrophic if BitShares 2.0 takes hold of the world, and then suffers from full transparency.
</offtopic>
+5%
Yep, privacy is needed before mainstream. Most future users will be so apathetic that they won't care if "the government" says traceable-bts is ok but bans privacy features. (Not sure how they'd do it, but why leave it to chance?)
I think that the horse has to have bolted out the door with a full set of armour, else get ridden by the long dick of the law once they catch it later.

Great work, fav!
Putting all the features together like that really shows that bts solves problems and normal users have good reason to be curious
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Tuck Fheman

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

I like that. Good job fav.  +5%
Nicely done.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline mint chocolate chip

BitShares 2.0 SmatCoin technology coming soon!
What's a smatcoin?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

Whoever you people are who keep coming up with these nifty images, well done! Is there an effort to collect all of these in an easy-to-access thread and team efforts to get the marketing word out to various news sites (crypto-focused and otherwise), using the images?

in this case it's actually me. I will use smartcoin.pw to market the affiliate aspect of bitshares :)

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Yup, +5%.

I think we're headed in the right direction, less emphasis on BitShares being the latest to-the-moon investment and more about normal people using the system on a normal day. The two are not mutually exclusive, of course, but daily usage should be the target.

<offtopic>
I take the opportunity to once again state the opinion that we must organize with Cryptonomex and have BTS 2.0 have strong privacy measures baked in.
Personally I think it will be catastrophic if BitShares 2.0 takes hold of the world, and then suffers from full transparency.
</offtopic>

Whoever you people are who keep coming up with these nifty images, well done! Is there an effort to collect all of these in an easy-to-access thread and team efforts to get the marketing word out to various news sites (crypto-focused and otherwise), using the images?

Offline Riverhead

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!