Author Topic: Devastating review of Graphene (material) by the New Yorker  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
I nominate @sapperstein  for negative 100 browniepoints (-100).

Since English is not everyone's first language on this forum or in our community, he is adding to potential confusion for no apparent reason with a deliberately misleading headline.

Please change your thread subject headline.

What an alienating response to somebody's first post / attempt at humor.

Where can I collect my negative brownie points?  Or does that mean I would owe somebody 100 brownie points?

Account: sapperstein

lol, I'll lend you negative brownie points. But they'll never show up on your balance, cause you can't have a negative balance in Bitshares. But trust me, you'll have them even if they don't appear in your balance.

But you'll owe me interest in positive brownie points for that loan. It's a win-win!  :D

Offline sapperstein

Since English is not everyone's first language on this forum or in our community, he is adding to potential confusion for no apparent reason with a deliberately misleading headline.

What an alienating response to somebody's first post / attempt at humor.

Where can I collect my negative brownie points?  Or does that mean I would owe somebody 100 brownie points?

Account: sapperstein

Offline lakerta06

While the subject changed to include "material", why not move the thread to random discussion?

Offline sapperstein

Well, it was an attempt at humor as this forum hasn't really been worth the lurking lately.

If this offends you then you're taking things a little too seriously.

It was a misleading title, but there's tons of misleading titles out there.  If somebody was planning on investing in bitshares sees my title and runs off, then I don't believe that investor was worth having around anyway, was he?

I got a chuckle out of it anyway.

Offline EstefanTT

I had to reach the first "lol" to realise what it was about.

English is not my first language but I read this forum twice a day. A person coming here only to get a feeling on how are going our project could be confused.

So, I'm agree with OnceUponATime
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Tuck Fheman

only good old-fashioned satire.

and satire is the first language on this forum.  :P

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

It's a joke, people. There is no such article, only good old-fashioned satire.

Offline onceuponatime

Offline devlux

• View Profile
Graphene is one of those materials I can see being suppressed in the future, if it isn't already.

It has a lot of potential but there is nothing particularly magical about it.  You can even make graphene super capacitors in your home with common materials.

2 easy ways.

#1 Easiest way, find a piece of coal.  Wash it in alcohol and dry it so it is no longer "dusty".  Next grab some regular old scotch tape.
Find the shiny surface of the coal.  Attach a single layer of scotch tape to it.  Press the coal and the tape on something flat to get a good stick.  Now just pull the tape off the coal straight out. 

You will have single atom thick graphene covering the tape. Grab a paperclip, cut it in half with wire cutters.  Lay 1 half at one edge of the tape, and the other half at the other edge.  Now roll one side up towards the other.  "poof" instant super capacitor.  (you'll still need an electrolyte)

#2 Harder way, but might be easier than finding coal.  Grind a source of carbon to a fine powder.  Coal is great, #2 pencil lead works fine too.  Dissolve in a mixture of water.  Put the solution in a spray bottle or pipette (you should really make sure whatever the source is is very finely ground).  Next find a flat opaque surface preferably made of lexan.  You'll notice that you have many of these laying around we call them CDs and DVDs.  Coat the surface of the plate with a thin coat from the spray bottle. Allow to dry completely. Hit the surface with an infrared laser.  The correct frequency of laser can be found in any lightscribe DVD burner.

Once the process is done you'll have graphene on your disk.  And if you happened to leave the laser inside the lightscribe drive you can use label making software to print circuits in it.

Seriously it is THAT hard to make graphene products.  You can do it at home with junk you have laying around.  There are actual patents and plenty of articles on the processes that I have just described.
http://hackaday.com/2012/12/21/making-graphene-with-a-dvd-burner/
http://phys.org/news/2010-12-graphene-pencil-sticky-tape-videos.html

At this point it's more or less a matter of scaling up the processes involved and improving the quality.
The question is why hasn't this come to market yet?

In theory the energy density of graphene based super capacitors should be far in excess of LIon and because the material is literally cheaper than dirt it would drive both cost and weight down to a price point that would make owning an internal combustion engine seem absolutely as ridiculous as owning a horse and buggy does now.
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/521651/graphene-supercapacitors-ready-for-electric-vehicle-energy-storage-say-korean-engineers/

The problem is that the patents are getting bought out by major oil companies and battery manufacturers and then no product is being brought to market.  This is the same thing that happened a couple of decades ago with battery tech and we are only just now seeing vehicle quality Lithium Ion battery packs.  In fact Tesla doesn't even use vehicle quality batteries.  They just use the batteries from a bunch of laptops.  It's ridiculous.

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but something is really strange when I can make a supercapacitor at home with junk I have laying around, that blows the doors off anything I can buy at digikey, but after a decade of research no actual products are on the market.
http://www.graphene-battery.net/graphene.htm

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:28:01 pm by devlux »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
Well well.

Graphene as a material, maybe not worth all the hype.

Graphene as as blockchain, not really proven (or unproven) yet.

Both are totally different subjects though ;)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
lol .. nice fine...

How about a little graphene-based propulsion:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1505.04254

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline sapperstein

I just read a devastating take on Graphene written by the New Yorker:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/12/22/material-question

Here are just a few quotes from the article:

"I.B.M. is all bummed out"

“A Scientific Dissent from Darwinism,”

"Nobody stands to benefit from giving the bad news"

not “a sufficient scientific advance.”

"“You’d have to change it so much that it’s no longer graphene,”

"Nearly every scientist I spoke with suggested that graphene lends itself especially well to hype."

"Guha lamented the “excessive hype” that has surrounded graphene"

“If there is too much hype at the discovery stage and the product doesn’t live up to the hype, that’s one way of its becoming disappointing and abandoned, eventually.”

“People put unrealistic time lines on us,”

the reporter asked, ‘When could these be ready?’ I said, ‘Two years’—and it was nonsense. I just felt so excited about it.”

"We work on whatever suits our fancy"

"The progress of a technology from the moment of discovery to transformative product is slow and meandering; the consensus among scientists is that it takes decades, even when things go well."

"the hype might not have been so disproportionate. But then there wouldn’t have been the same appetite for investment.”

"hype is necessary to attract development dollars"

“So we always have to have some humility. A couple of bicycle mechanics could come along and prove us wrong.”

"stubborn conviction that an obvious obstacle can be overcome"

Now that we’ve got this stuff, what do we do with it?

“The more innovative—the more breaking-the-mold—the innovation is, the less likely we are to figure out what it is really going to be used for.”

"Samsung, the Korea-based electronics giant, holds the greatest number of patents in graphene"

“I’m going to come in here and count money every day.”

“We’re going to be rich someday, aren’t we?”

*Note: Quotes totally out of context
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:09:46 pm by bytemaster »