Author Topic: House cleaning  (Read 12023 times)

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
It's not so much the provider that is anonymous, but the payment method
My point is that these anonymity mixers etc. are not perfect. And perfect is what is necessary for true privacy.

Unless you can link some evidence that a particular service is provably perfect?
The low volume of transactions make things very difficult. Sending 10 btc 'anonymously' is not so anonymous if the only 10btc transfer on the network at the time is your own.
Confidential transactions might solve this

@Permie: I was alluding to the US being represented in blue (low corruption) in the map you linked. It is anything but. Many if not most of the civil right losses we have faced over the last decade and a half and a good chunk of the surveillance that has encroached our societies can in a large way be traced back to the US specifically, and to a lesser extend to the Anglo world (the 5 eyes). Corruption, deceit and totalitarianism are rampant. Yet somehow still mostly under the radar.
Apathy to the "Snowden Revelations" are testament to how little the public care for their own privacy.
If privacy is not perfect and easy to use, nobody but 'bad people' (persons noteworthy to the state, dissenters) will use it and it becomes more obvious.
Privacy needs the crowd to hide in, IMO
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline karnal

• View Profile
The state does not possess magic pixie dust that renders strong anonymity technology like Tor useless. DPR made a bunch of mistakes and he was a high profile target, any error at that level of the game could mean the end, and for him, it did (Free Ross!!!).

It's not so much the provider that is anonymous, but the payment method. And in my opinion this remains an essential liberty that must also be preserved - being able to order a server online under a pseudonym. Write whatever you want and publish it. It's beautiful and it's worth protecting.

If you mix your coins right and use Tor (particularly if your client only speaks to hidden services), then it becomes very difficult if not outright impossible at the present level of technology to trace the server payment back to you.

@Permie: I was alluding to the US being represented in blue (low corruption) in the map you linked. It is anything but. Many if not most of the civil right losses we have faced over the last decade and a half and a good chunk of the surveillance that has encroached our societies can in a large way be traced back to the US specifically, and to a lesser extend to the Anglo world (the 5 eyes). Corruption, deceit and totalitarianism are rampant. Yet somehow still mostly under the radar.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:05:19 pm by karnal »

Offline Permie

• View Profile
Haha US in blue, cool story bro
You don't agree political strong-arming should be avoided if possible?

How much political pressure would it take to take any of us down?

I don't share your trust of 'anonymous' service providers.
I'm sure many are legit, but honeypots are everywhere too

DPR (silk road) had their servers found, although I'm not sure how anonymous it was claimed to be.
If it's technically possible to de-anonymize in any way, you better believe the state will use their black budget tech, orders of magnitude more advanced than anything the public is aware, to get it done.
Forget about the legaility or repercussions - Parallel construction and deception are playground games to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_construction

In August 2013, a report by Reuters revealed that the Special Operations Division (SOD) of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration advises DEA agents to practice parallel construction when creating criminal cases against Americans that are actually based on NSA warrantless surveillance.[1] The use of illegally obtained evidence is generally inadmissible under the Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine.[2]

Two senior DEA officials explained that the reason parallel construction is used is to protect sources (such as undercover agents or informants) or methods in an investigation. One DEA official had told Reuters: "Parallel construction is a law enforcement technique we use every day. It's decades old, a bedrock concept."
BTSDEX.COM

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

of course if they are really coming after you, you have to assume that they are able to determine the address that is signing the blocks.  If this is hosted by a company that can be leaned upon.  It will be leaned upon.  Tor works as a delegate with 0.9.2, but I'm not sure it will work with 2.0. 

You also have to consider the fact that if the meatbag you live inside is thrown in a cage, paying with crypto won't be of any use.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Haha US in blue, cool story bro

Offline Permie

• View Profile
Countries in blue will extradite to the US, I would say we want to avoid those countries where possible. But obviously the World Police are not the only threat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_natural_disaster_risk
Top 20 countries least likely to have a natural disaster
Qatar    1    0.10%
 Malta    2    0.61%
 Barbados    3    1.16%
 Saudi Arabia    4    1.32%
 Grenada    5    1.44%
 Iceland    6    1.55%
 Kiribati    7    1.78%
 Bahrain    8    1.81%
 United Arab Emirates    9    2.10%
 Sweden    10    2.26%
 Finland    11    2.28%
 Egypt    12    2.34%
 Norway    13    2.35%
 Israel    14    2.49%
 Singapore    15    2.49%
 Estonia    16    2.52%
 Seychelles    17    2.58%
  Switzerland    18    2.61%
 Luxembourg    19    2.68%
 Oman

Countries in blue have less perceived political corruption, red have more perceived corruption.

Country risk refers to the risk of investing in a country, dependent on changes in the business environment that may adversely affect operating profits or the value of assets in a specific country. For example, financial factors such as currency controls, devaluation or regulatory changes, or stability factors such as mass riots, civil war and other potential events contribute to companies' operational risks.
Red = more risk, green = less risk
BTSDEX.COM

Offline puppies

• View Profile
Is there a way to identify or measure geological distribution of the delegates? 

I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of the delegates are now clustering on a couple of small locations. Worst case scenario we'll have a large number of sockpuppet delegates with no actual separate infrastructure or benefit to security and robustness.

EDIT
Take for example the 10 delegates or more databunker is managing are they all on the same network connection? Nothing personal to you Data, it's just that you posted here, I'm sure there are others doing the same thing.

I agree.

We need to think about geographical location of witnesses and witness nodes, as well as the political location of witnesses and nodes. 

We need to model the most likely threats to the network.  Do we think they are collusion amongst witnesses, coercion of witnesses, or simply the prevention of block production through political, or other geographical issues. 

Data said that his nodes were working in multitudes of countries with a backup running at his compound.  He may be much more prepared for political pressure than the rest of us, but you have to ask yourself.  How much political pressure would it take to take any of us down?

I believe we need as many individual witness operators as possible, in as many political environments as possible.

We also need to think about where threats are likely to come from, and how best to resist those threats.  I still think a dead mans switch would be a good idea.  If you do not log into a node, and submit a command within the appointed time, the node changes its public data to something along the lines of "I have been compromised.  Vote me out"
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline JoeyD

Is there a way to identify or measure geological distribution of the delegates? 

I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of the delegates are now clustering on a couple of small locations. Worst case scenario we'll have a large number of sockpuppet delegates with no actual separate infrastructure or benefit to security and robustness.

EDIT
Take for example the 10 delegates or more databunker is managing are they all on the same network connection? Nothing personal to you Data, it's just that you posted here, I'm sure there are others doing the same thing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:11:00 am by JoeyD »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Great initiative!  +5%

Offline puppies

• View Profile
I manage calabiyau (3%)
You have done a very good job of it.  28,877 blocks generated only 130 missed.  99.55% uptime.  Best percentage in the over 25k club, and 15th in the top 101. 

Offline CalabiYau

I manage calabiyau (3%)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
I manage dele-puppy. 

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I manage dev.sidhujag
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Permie

• View Profile
I manage the following delegates in the 101:

delegate.rgcrypto - 100%
sollywood.sollars-com - 100% -- managed service
www.minebitshares-com - 3%
www2.minebitshares-com - 3%
minebitshares-reloaded - 100%
minebts1.bunkermining-com - 100%

Other delegates that are not in the 101 (though I think should be) that I provided managed services too are:

delegate.kencode
delegate.dposhub-org
+5%

This is the new standard for workers. There needs to be a clear proposal for how much money is needed to accomplish a specific task in some period of time. So, I think that even the 100% delegates that the community may want to keep as workers need to re-articulate their mission with a well thought out worker proposal and again present it to the community for a vote.
+5%
BTSDEX.COM