Author Topic: Do we expect a new client release  (Read 1945 times)

Offline karnal

• View Profile
It would be safe to assume there won't be one.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
FYI, after every successful resync (after failure) and confirming that all is well, I close the bts client and navigate to the folder where the chain is stored and copy it to an external harddrive.
In case of a failure, I immediately close the client (which is attempting to redownload the entire chain from scratch) and go to this externally saved folder and then copy it back into the bts client folder.
When I reload it again, it should be synced back to the same point at which you saved/backed up the folder previously.

FOR WINDOWS:
1. Have fully synced client running. Check all is well, then close the client.
2. Open the start menu, and search
%appdata%
3. When the folder opens, go to Roaming (you may already be in this folder straight from %appdata%)
4. Open the "BitShares" folder, and then right click and copy the "chain" folder. (Make sure you copy and don't cut it)
5. Paste the copied "chain" folder to an external harddrive, or elsewhere, My Documents etc
6. Rename the folder to "bts chain backup dd/mm" (day/month)
7. Open up bts again and it should load as before, normally.

8. If the client ever fails to download, find your "bts chain backup" folder, and copy it into the %appdata%/roaming/BitShares folder, replacing the existing "chain" folder.
9. Rename the newly copied folder from "bts backup" to "chain".
10. Keep a copy of the backup where you saved it before, in case it all fails again.

Thank you very much Permie.
This is exactly what I am doing. Yesterday it took me 5 hours to synch 7 days though and once it did the transaction history was stuck at 3% for hours with memory usage 3.8GB,,,I reopened today and although it started moving now it is stuck at 19%...I guess we need to have nerves of steel and lots lots of patience with the GUI client..Paradoxically my other slower machine did complete the transaction history now! and faster (it only took 7 hours since last night..lol..)

So I guess we shouldn't expect any other version out before cryptonomex right?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:18:18 am by mf-tzo »

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
FYI, after every successful resync (after failure) and confirming that all is well, I close the bts client and navigate to the folder where the chain is stored and copy it to an external harddrive.
In case of a failure, I immediately close the client (which is attempting to redownload the entire chain from scratch) and go to this externally saved folder and then copy it back into the bts client folder.
When I reload it again, it should be synced back to the same point at which you saved/backed up the folder previously.

FOR WINDOWS:
1. Have fully synced client running. Check all is well, then close the client.
2. Open the start menu, and search
%appdata%
3. When the folder opens, go to Roaming (you may already be in this folder straight from %appdata%)
4. Open the "BitShares" folder, and then right click and copy the "chain" folder. (Make sure you copy and don't cut it)
5. Paste the copied "chain" folder to an external harddrive, or elsewhere, My Documents etc
6. Rename the folder to "bts chain backup dd/mm" (day/month)
7. Open up bts again and it should load as before, normally.

8. If the client ever fails to download, find your "bts chain backup" folder, and copy it into the %appdata%/roaming/BitShares folder, replacing the existing "chain" folder.
9. Rename the newly copied folder from "bts backup" to "chain".
10. Keep a copy of the backup where you saved it before, in case it all fails again.
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I feel you.. last time I ran into this it took 3-5 days from beginning to up and running.
On the bright side, it has been running smoothly ever since!

So don't give up -- and you're right, this is a major hindrance to adoption, but this has been identified already and possibly made irrelevant with the advent of 2.0.

We're almost there :)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Did you tried to download blockchain manual ..?

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16510.0.html
Hope this helps

will that make a difference since now I am supposed to have synched? Does this has to do anything with the transaction history?
thanks cass

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I did yes..In both machines I appear to be synched now (after 1 day of trying..)

In one machine my transaction history is stuck at 3% and the memory usage is 3.8GB..

In the other machine my transaction history also must have been completed (left it all night doing that) but the markets don't appear, balances don't appear correctly, can't trade and can't do anything..

In both machines I have been opening and closing the client many times...

I have been trying seriously since yesterday morning to place just 1 order...lol...

I am seriously considering to throw my laptops out of the windows..

Please devs just do something about that..CNX will be great but until then what am I supposed to do?

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Did you tried to download blockchain manual ..?

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16510.0.html
Hope this helps

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Hey i feel your pain! :(
Guess you've deleted /chain containing folder and tried a resync ...?
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

The windows client is seriously unusable..I have been trying for at least 24 hours to synchronise, scan transactions history in 2 machines with no luck whatsoever..I just want to place an order since yesterday and I really can't...

I am very patient guy and don't get easily frustrated but seriously there is no absolutely way the average Jo will get bothered with BTS as its currently status...I know things will get much better with cryptonomex but by the time is released should we expect any 0.9.3 version to be released or not? I feel that I don't even own any BTS..I can't do anything with them.I can't trade, I can't vote, can't transfer them..nothing...