Author Topic: Does this mean I can get my accountname back please?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Thanks for that info.
I'll try it.

Worst case scenario, assuming that for some reason it doesn't work...

Does the information I linked to mean there is hope of getting my account name back?  Or will it be a lost cause at that point?

Thanks!

It will work.. it will take some time to rescan but it will work. :)
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline devlux

• View Profile
Thanks for that info.
I'll try it.

Worst case scenario, assuming that for some reason it doesn't work...

Does the information I linked to mean there is hope of getting my account name back?  Or will it be a lost cause at that point?

Thanks!

Xeldal

If you registered the account before 2015-06-18 then you will have the name in BTS2.0 regardless of whether it was through the faucet.

If you have a backup of the wallet containing the gemspace account you should be fine and all funds should be recoverable.
You may just need to do a
Code: [Select]
wallet_regenerate_keys gemspace 12000
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Was re-reading this with clearer eyes...
https://bitshares.org/blog/2015/06/08/migrating-to-bitshares-2.0/

Back a long time ago when I was testing out Bitshares I registered the account name
"gemspace"

Someone broke into my house and stole my development computer hosting the wallet at that time.

I backed up the wallet file, but have NEVER been able to recover the account name.
There is money tied to that account, not sure what happened but the backup wallet file when imported was just empty and devoid of funds.

We're talking a few thousand in BTS & bitUSD, but what's more important is that the account name (which I had stupidly assumed would be transferable like it is in NXT), is inaccessible and represents a pretty valuable piece of intellectual property to our company.

I would like it back.  Just wondering what can be done.  If I read this correctly only names that were registered through the faucet are eligible for recovery.  I have no idea anymore if it was or wasn't.

Is there a way to find out?  Also since we're dumping names is there any process to ensure that at a minimum no one can claim our company name as their own?

Thanks!

Just to clarify... you were successful in restoring your backup to a new wallet?

If so.. your funds are still there, you just have to take some extra steps to restore your data from the blockchain.. I am assuming whom ever stole your system didn't access it and transfer it all out.

Are you running the Windows client?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline devlux

• View Profile
Was re-reading this with clearer eyes...
https://bitshares.org/blog/2015/06/08/migrating-to-bitshares-2.0/

Back a long time ago when I was testing out Bitshares I registered the account name
"gemspace"

Someone broke into my house and stole my development computer hosting the wallet at that time.

I backed up the wallet file, but have NEVER been able to recover the account name.
There is money tied to that account, not sure what happened but the backup wallet file when imported was just empty and devoid of funds.

We're talking a few thousand in BTS & bitUSD, but what's more important is that the account name (which I had stupidly assumed would be transferable like it is in NXT), is inaccessible and represents a pretty valuable piece of intellectual property to our company.

I would like it back.  Just wondering what can be done.  If I read this correctly only names that were registered through the faucet are eligible for recovery.  I have no idea anymore if it was or wasn't.

Is there a way to find out?  Also since we're dumping names is there any process to ensure that at a minimum no one can claim our company name as their own?

Thanks!