Author Topic: Paper: The approach of the School of Austrian Economics to external effects  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
I think the 2 main reasons many will argue for the existence of the state (non-anarchy) are the problems of property rights and auditing/information finding.
Crime investigations need evidence, property rights need proof of ownership and the public need access to information to make an informed value judgement.

Blockchains can provide proof of ownership for property rights, proof of existence for evidence and public access to information with free market and non-aggressive solutions.

Proof of ownership - Without the aid of a state by way of prediction markets and third party auditors, or by more traditional means with land registries moved to blockchains, as in Honduras. http://www.coindesk.com/factom-land-registry-deal-honduran-government/

Proof of existence - photographs of crime scenes, recorded and verified witness-statements and other verifiable information can be collected by competing third parties and hashed into a blockchain. Identity verification will also be useful and can be provided.

Access to information - via crowdfunding journalists and predication-market assets representing assets and liabilities held by free-market businesses.
In order for the public to decide whether or not they want to reward or punish (buy or not-buy) a particular product/business they need to have a fully formed picture of who/what it is they are funding.
Digital assets representing the pollution, water usage and other noteworthy but non-money assets can present this information to the public. With a blockchain, a government or cost-sink entity is not needed to provide this information as bts facilitates trade between competing free-market entities.
Prediction markets provide information whilst at the same time provide a profit opportunity to those most-useful to society. Those who provide the most accurate information in this case, but in a more general sense those who fulfill the needs of the market best. In a free-market, the highest profit potential exists with the needs most-desired by the market (the public).

Rothbard interprets the physical extent to which a homesteading act establishes ownership in terms of the relevant "technological unit", which is the minimal amount necessary for the practical use of the resource. He writes:

If A uses a certain amount of a resource, how much of that resource is to accrue to his ownership? Our answer is that he owns the technological unit of the resource. The size of that unit depends on the type of good or resource in question, and must be determined by judges, juries, or arbitrators who are expert in the particular resource or industry in question

BitShares can facilitate the production and transfer of these "technological units" across the internet without counterparty risk.

In much the same way as prediction markets, a blockchain crowd-sources many functions of a government so that problems can be solved by competing entities without the need for a fallible third-party.

This is what it means for BitShares to have the potential to facilitate a truly free market.
Bitcoin is a free market currency, and BitShares is a platform for free trade.

I really liked your article!
It's a good overview of a complex topic and will be useful to send to others for a quick understanding
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
I have observed the Bitcoin / Crypto Economy Space now for a while and so got in touch with libertarian theory. I am personally very interested in theories about social interaction. I thought a lot about the ins and outs of libertarian theory in a relatively unstructured way until I finally wrote that paper which deals with the very broad concept of externalities.

I hope you enjoy reading it! Feel free to discuss it. I like the free way things are discussed on this forum :)

You can find it here: http://consensus-analytics.com/publications/

If you like it share it :)
Interesting piece. FYI there was another interesting forum discussion on externalities a while ago in this thread... https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,13338.0.html

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Praxeology rests fundamentally on the assumption that individuals' actions
are driven by conscious decisions to achieve certain ends – in contrast to purely reflexive behavior.
Such goals are based on values that are entirely subjective and therefore can not be quantified.
Therefore math as a means of describing human action and theories thereof is inappropriate.
Brilliant. Thank you! I've been trying to come up with such a succinct way to describe why I believe human nature is inherently (? Maybe wrong word) anarchist and capitalist - ancap.

Great article, I'll read the rest later!
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I know that blog .. well written articles that stick to the facts .. thanks for writing and publishing them

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline consensus-analytics.com

• View Profile
I know that blog .. well written articles that stick to the facts .. thanks for writing and publishing them
Thanks xeroc!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline consensus-analytics.com

• View Profile
I have observed the Bitcoin / Crypto Economy Space now for a while and so got in touch with libertarian theory. I am personally very interested in theories about social interaction. I thought a lot about the ins and outs of libertarian theory in a relatively unstructured way until I finally wrote that paper which deals with the very broad concept of externalities.

I hope you enjoy reading it! Feel free to discuss it. I like the free way things are discussed on this forum :)

You can find it here: http://consensus-analytics.com/publications/

If you like it share it :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:52:55 pm by consensus-analytics.com »