Author Topic: [ANN] - Low Cost BitShares ATM Offers New On and Off Ramp  (Read 8706 times)

Offline bitcoin42

Hi @clout,

We are in the CryptoATM market since early 2014 and have been alalyising the market since as early as 2011. Truth be told, right now the majority of all BTMs make their volume with Cash in Crypto out. That said, we do see a huge potential on cash out options in certain areas. But when it comes to dispensing cash to the public, things become more complicated, not only on a technical level. However, we are absolutly woring on that solution and want to deliver not only the most affordable one way ATM, but also two way ATM. You can see our goals defined here: http://simplicity-kiosk.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

Over the next couple of day we will be adding more information. We are also looking for somebody who can help us setting up a witness account and/or worker account. If anyone is interested, please PM me or write to alec@gemspace.net

Best,
Alec

So does the ATM utilize graphene or bts1.0? I'm guessing since you're still figuring out how to compile bts2.0 the latter is true. That is disappointing for several reasons. Firstly graphenes code base has been public for more than a month. For the purposes of an ATM you don't need a full or light client installed in the ATM you just need a script that connects to the websocket. And lastly if it is utilizing bts1.0 it is absolutely useless at this point. You really shouldn't be taking pre-orders until you have things better ironed out.
Yea, clout, I hope you meant well but what you wrote wasn't well thought-out .
These guys are doing an outstanding job and we are in no position to dictate the timing of their actions.

I just asked a question... There hasn't been very much information. No ones going to send $800 - $1500 to someone that they don't know for a product they don't know works.

clout

So does the ATM utilize graphene or bts1.0? I'm guessing since you're still figuring out how to compile bts2.0 the latter is true. That is disappointing for several reasons. Firstly graphenes code base has been public for more than a month. For the purposes of an ATM you don't need a full or light client installed in the ATM you just need a script that connects to the websocket. And lastly if it is utilizing bts1.0 it is absolutely useless at this point. You really shouldn't be taking pre-orders until you have things better ironed out.
These guys are doing an outstanding job and we are in no position to dictate the timing of their actions.

I just asked a question... There hasn't been very much information. No ones going to send $800 - $1500 to someone that they don't know for a product they don't know works.

jakub

clout

Ok great. I see that your machine supports one way conversion from fiat to crypto. What are your plans for bidirectional conversion? I understand that the hardware would cost more, but is it all feasible to make crypto ATMs that convert crypto to fiat? I've always thought it was interesting that one way bitcoin atms take in fiat and send crytpo, when that's not really what you expect from an ATM. The point of an ATM is to withdraw cash. I think that if you were to construct the ATM in this way it would differentiate your product from competitors and provide greater utility since it is pretty simple to acquire large volumes crypto from exchanges such as circle and coinbase but less simple to turn your crypto into cash.

While I don't think I would purchase a one-way atm that provides crypto, I would certainly purchase one that provides cash.

Offline devlux

• View Profile

It uses graphene.  Getting BTS 2.0 to compile was a bit of a challenge no doubt. The instructions out there don't really explain what's needed to stand it up as a service under linux and they still reference the graphene github not the bitshares-2 github.  Despite the fact they are identical right now, they may not always be.  Either way ,that challenge has been overcome and I even wrote a tutorial on how to get it setup, it's posted over in the support section of these forums. 

The Graphene code base may have been available for over a month, but it was a moving target and if you look at the commit log, you'll see there have been many, many revisions in that time frame.  It was a moving target and you can't really architect around that.  Now the API is basically frozen for awhile, it's time to get to work on that aspect of our code base.  Yet if you look at the official release such as the webwallet, it's still not functioning reliably and correctly. 

But at least what "should" work is defined and that's a good starting point for integration.

As for the ATMs, keep in mind that these things "support" bitshares.  They are not "specifically tailored" for bitshares, but bitUSD is a potential settlement mechanism we're evaluating and I fully support.  Truth is these devices can be used to vend any electronically delivered product including giftcards and other cryptos.  The design is flexible enough that it doesn't matter what you're selling as long as it can be delivered via some electronic means.  It's just a matter of connecting the fulfillment engine up to the retail side.

We were originally going to support the 1.x bitshares and you'll see I made a few posts about that, but once a release date was announced on 2.x it no longer made any sense to try and support 1.x. The deadline was too close and we would have had migration issues.  A wait and see approach was warranted.  I think we were validated on this decision, considering how many live exchanges right now still don't have 2.0 support functioning yet.

So think of this announcement this way...

We aren't taking pre-orders in the sense of "one day a product will be made". 
We're not 20 something kids in our mom's basement asking for funds on kickstarter for a project that may or may not ever see the light of day. 

We're not asking the bitshares community to crowdfund a project. 

We're letting you know that we have a product, it's real, bitshares support is being integrated and the physical device is shipping right now. 
As soon as the software upgrade is complete it will be added to the image in manufacturing and also provided as a downloadable upgrade for owners who want to sell bitassets through their ATMs.

We are now at the point where we're producing demo videos of the thing in action and getting ready for a big marketing push, once that is done the price goes back up.

In the meantime we have manufacturing capacity we're paying for.  Therefore, we're taking orders and filling them in batches.  You get what comes off the line when it comes of the line and since we aren't paying for marketing just yet you get a substantial discount for buying early.  Once the marketing push begins on Nov 1st, the discount drops off. 

Even without the discount it's still the lowest cost crypto enabled ATM/Kiosk on the market and you can buy it right now with BTS or bitUSD.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:19:36 pm by devlux »

clout

Offline devlux

• View Profile
Is gemstone still related to BitShares?

http://gemspace.net

They moved to NXT because their technical advisor recommended it.  I suspect that he held a good few NXT though personally.
So,this announcement dead too?
what a joke.

Wow, really what?  No we didn't move to NXT, but we were put in the very difficult position of not knowing when BTS 2.0 would be launched and therefore when we would have to rewrite our entire code base and standup new infrastructure had we launched prior to now.  NXT was on the table as a possible stop-gap solution, but I don't think anyone seriously advocated it for what we're doing.  Bitshares has features we need that NXT doesn't.  Right tool for the right job.

Now the super secret BTS 2.0 source sauce has finally spilled we can work to stand it up.  First step is getting Bitshares 2.0 to actually compile and run, while trying to track down docs on the new API.  Thank god we waited, because not much I'm seeing matched what was there before.

Both Gemspace & the ATM/Kiosks use Bitshares.  Gemspace uses it for helping companies to use it for issuing literal shares on the blockchain and the ATM uses it for settlement.

Offline devlux

• View Profile
Yes we're working on a proper video.  The biggest problem is that the screen doesn't photograph so well especially in videos.

clout

Can you provide a demonstration of the ATM?

Offline bitcoin42

Find here the latest discussion:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17608.0/all.html

And here our brand new shop page:

www.simplicity-kiosk.com

Presale starts now! Just keep in mind that the page is not 100% ready yet. Over the next days we will have payment options working and https ... for the time being you can just write me at pay@simplicity-kiosk.com

Best,
Alec

Offline mariano76

• View Profile
http://bitcoin42.com/blog/can-you-believe-its-almost-here/

We are busy bee's. Website was down for a few days which caused confusion. We'll ramp up a complete new page just for this baby. There will be four models. "Simplicity" (small one way), "Complexity" (small two way), "Visibility"(large one way), "Capacity" (large two way).

Simplicity will be ready sooner than later. No worries. ;)
Nice!

Offline lzr1900

• View Profile
Is gemstone still related to BitShares?

http://gemspace.net

They moved to NXT because their technical advisor recommended it.  I suspect that he held a good few NXT though personally.
So,this announcement dead too?
what a joke.

Offline konelectric

I've asked marketing to come in and help...

He should have a bitshares logo on his chest..
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

We are busy bee's. Website was down for a few days which caused confusion. We'll ramp up a complete new page just for this baby. There will be four models. "Simplicity" (small one way), "Complexity" (small two way), "Visibility"(large one way), "Capacity" (large two way).

Looks great :)

wow nice :)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Looks great :)