Author Topic: Ethereum: The Ultimate Smart Contract and Decentralized Application Platform  (Read 14992 times)

Offline bytemaster

IMO this sort of project should NOT be using a turing-complete language as the foundation. Bitcoin's scripting language was designed to be not turing-complete for a reason. We want our protocol language to be good for correctness proofs, not malware.
What was the reason? Reasons I can imagine are simplicity and efficient encoding or speed. Are there security considerations?

I imagine a protocol in a high-level language could be compiled to ethereums script language. This would still allow for languages which are more suitable for correctness proofs.

For starters, the rules of a block chain are very hard to change after launch and even bitcoin has not turned on the full power of their scripts.  If bitcoin is not comfortable with their scripts after 5 years of evaluation, this platform will have a much harder time proving its security model in a timely manner.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline arcke

• View Profile
    • Diaspora
IMO this sort of project should NOT be using a turing-complete language as the foundation. Bitcoin's scripting language was designed to be not turing-complete for a reason. We want our protocol language to be good for correctness proofs, not malware.
What was the reason? Reasons I can imagine are simplicity and efficient encoding or speed. Are there security considerations?

I imagine a protocol in a high-level language could be compiled to ethereums script language. This would still allow for languages which are more suitable for correctness proofs.
OpenPGP: 0x22d7e9cc35375665
PTS - PawnbhoiXhmkrKJEPAsCiwkpP81nRXJGTD
Diaspora profile - https://pod.orkz.net/u/arcke

Offline bytemaster

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline vikram