Author Topic: Bitshares needs robust stable wallet software that works!!  (Read 6318 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
you can download the keys too. it's in the options

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Done.  My recovery key is now safe and sound.  Thank you!  So does this now absolutely ensure that I'll be able to access any accounts/funds in this wallet after 2.0 is released?  I don't need to save a backup of the wallet itself or anything? 
Your keys are derived from the recovery key .. it's the only thing you need (and the only thing you can really extract from the web-wallet). Also, I think there will be a period in which both webwallets (1.0 and 2.0) will be accessible. So: All will be fine.

By the way, the wallet says my account name is "Not registered on the blockchain".  When I click on "Register tbone", it pops up a dialog box indicating a transaction fee of 1BTS and shows a dropdown with the available accounts.  I select the one I want to pay with (which is listed as tbone) and click the "Register" button but nothing happens.  Any idea why this is happening or how I might otherwise go about registering my account name?  Thanks again!
I wouldn't waste paying anything for an account just now .. the reason being that registered (short length) accounts (like yours) after 18.june will not be migrated unaltered:
http://bitshares.github.io/blog/2015/06/08/migrating-to-bitshares-2.0/

You can register you name when bts2 is launched

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
Thanks for answering.  When you say "brain key", are you referring to the password?  Or the recovery key?  Also, if one loses the recovery key but still has the password and can log into the wallet, are they able to generate a new recovery key?  Thanks again for your help.
brain key = recovery key
If you can access your wallet, then you can go to the advanced tab and recover your recovery key .. do this NOW!

Done.  My recovery key is now safe and sound.  Thank you!  So does this now absolutely ensure that I'll be able to access any accounts/funds in this wallet after 2.0 is released?  I don't need to save a backup of the wallet itself or anything? 

By the way, the wallet says my account name is "Not registered on the blockchain".  When I click on "Register tbone", it pops up a dialog box indicating a transaction fee of 1BTS and shows a dropdown with the available accounts.  I select the one I want to pay with (which is listed as tbone) and click the "Register" button but nothing happens.  Any idea why this is happening or how I might otherwise go about registering my account name?  Thanks again!

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
i agree with the core dev team's focus on infrastructure; getting the system right is critical. wallets and other user apps should come from new entrants to our system who find sufficient value in the infrastructure to start designing their own businesses off of it.

THIS ^.  getting the system right is critical.

One of the biggest issues i see is surrounds expectation. In the last 2 mumbles BM has said testnet will be available in the coming days and nothing has been released. I think this just fuels speculation and disappointment if nothing appears. My opinion is I think we need a target go-live date for people to focus on; but we have to meet it.

good point...setting realistic expectations and managing them cautiously is a big part of this business.

Offline MJK

• View Profile
i agree with the core dev team's focus on infrastructure; getting the system right is critical. wallets and other user apps should come from new entrants to our system who find sufficient value in the infrastructure to start designing their own businesses off of it.

THIS ^.  getting the system right is critical.

One of the biggest issues i see is surrounds expectation. In the last 2 mumbles BM has said testnet will be available in the coming days and nothing has been released. I think this just fuels speculation and disappointment if nothing appears. My opinion is I think we need a target go-live date for people to focus on; but we have to meet it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks for answering.  When you say "brain key", are you referring to the password?  Or the recovery key?  Also, if one loses the recovery key but still has the password and can log into the wallet, are they able to generate a new recovery key?  Thanks again for your help.
brain key = recovery key
If you can access your wallet, then you can go to the advanced tab and recover your recovery key .. do this NOW!

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Is it unstable?  Is it not secure?  What functionality does it lack?  And lastly, will balances in this web wallet transfer over to 2.0?  Thanks in advance.
Can someone knowledgeable please answer these questions about the current web wallet?  Thanks.
IMHO the only motivation to tag it "experimental" is that there are no unit-tests to make sure EVERYTHING works as expected. I would consider it secure assuming your computer is secured :)
I am pretty sure that you will be able to import the "brain key" into 2.0 easily.

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile
IMHO the only motivation to tag it "experimental" is that there are no unit-tests to make sure EVERYTHING works as expected. I would consider it secure assuming your computer is secured :)
I am pretty sure that you will be able to import the "brain key" into 2.0 easily.

https://wallet.bitshares.org

FWIW, I’ve been experimenting with it and have made successful transfers and asset purchases. The delegate section doesn’t have any information in it, but that’s probably relatively unimportant to most people. I haven’t figured out if it stores a wallet somewhere on your PC that you can back up or whether you just have to rely on the 16-word recovery key. There’s a certain comfort in being able to physically backup your own wallet file. There’s none of the installation hassles that you have with the main client. Overall, it is very easy to use and an important enhancement to Bitshares. It is definitely what I would recommend to the average user until Bitshares 2.0 is released.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Is it unstable?  Is it not secure?  What functionality does it lack?  And lastly, will balances in this web wallet transfer over to 2.0?  Thanks in advance.
Can someone knowledgeable please answer these questions about the current web wallet?  Thanks.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why this conversation is taking place considering a) there is currently an end-user web wallet available,

I assume you mean this: https://wallet.bitshares.org/

From the website, it looks like it might only be experimental but I'll check it out. Thanks for mentioning it. I wasn't aware of it.

Yes, that is what I was referring to.  It works fine for me, at least for transferring balances.  But perhaps we can find out from one of the devs why it's considered "experimental".  Is it unstable?  Is it not secure?  What functionality does it lack?  And lastly, will balances in this web wallet transfer over to 2.0?  Thanks in advance.

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
BitShares 2.0 will have a smooth, stable and reactive web wallet .. current source can be seen in github and looks (and feels) awesome ..
Just wait for BTS2.0 to arrive!

can't wait to see bts2.0
the brand new bts

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Bm is not a gui developer but has grown the gui team for 2.0 to a total of 5 or 6.   Even Nathan is doing gui work.  That leaves only 4 people doing backend work.   

Back seat managers think they can get more out of cass svk chronos and valentine James and  others don't know what they are talking about.   

+5%

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Yes, that is what I was referring to.  It works fine for me, at least for transferring balances.  But perhaps we can find out from one of the devs why it's considered "experimental".  Is it unstable?  Is it not secure?  What functionality does it lack?  And lastly, will balances in this web wallet transfer over to 2.0?  Thanks in advance.

OK. I set up an account there with a small amount of bts. It was easy to set up and looks pretty easy to use. I'll experiment with it. Unfortunately, it says it's a beta release so I'd hesitate to use it for large amounts. But at least for now, it looks like it will serve some of my needs. Thanks.

I'm not aware of anything in crypto that isn't beta.. and if it isn't it should be.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
Bm is not a gui developer but has grown the gui team for 2.0 to a total of 5 or 6.   Even Nathan is doing gui work.  That leaves only 4 people doing backend work.   

as someone that follows the repos closely to make sure porting to other architectures works, I can validate this comment. graphene-ui has actually been getting almost as much attention as graphene lately, which I took to mean that resources are shifting towards UI.

For the UI, in the past week:
Excluding merges, 4 authors have pushed 49 commits to master and 49 commits to all branches. On master, 99 files have changed and there have been 2,953 additions and 1,436 deletions.

here's the backend for the past week:
Excluding merges, 6 authors have pushed 62 commits to master and 63 commits to all branches. On master, 103 files have changed and there have been 4,905 additions and 1,329 deletions.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true