Author Topic: [meta] Micro-Bounties  (Read 2747 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I agree that at least we know Bitcoin + google docs works. Even with a DAC hovering as a potential improvement, this should not limit our current use of what works.

At any rate, any DAC requires an enormous amount of work and must be done incrementally; sketchy idea, argument, rigorous proposal, argument, implementation, testing, etc. It is difficult to incentivize all these stages independently, but perhaps not impossible. This is a complicated meta-problem in its own right that we should solve.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I think a DAC will not help you do this. The appropriate technology IMO is bitcoin + google docs.

Making *coin does not generate demand for *. Identify who will benefit from these bounties, and then why they haven't already written proposals

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
I agree, using a DAC to help with this would be extremely .. awesome.  8)

How do we get there? Why has there not been more proposals like that?
Why are not more people commenting on that suggestion?
What is the alternative?

We need to develop on all fronts. If we really value a DAC like that we can start by suggesting a bounty for a rigorously written proposal, and then bounty people who can find flaws in the design and suggest alternatives.

How do we value an idea like that? How do we value the contribution of people who find flaws or suggest alternatives?
What if X-coin has already published a rigorous version of this idea on some obscure forum, who will go find it? What if it was already implemented and kind-of works but not-really, who will investigate to understand how to fix it? etc.

Let us move forward in all ways.

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1692.0

^ I guess, if this isn't automated in some sense within a DAC, then it will be very time-consuming to make large numbers of micro-payouts - that could otherwise accelerate development significantly. It would be good if this was a DAC scheduled for early development, as it would be a fine community builder.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
How do we do effective micro-bounties?

With the advent of blockchain technologies, it is extremely easy to micro-incentivize large groups of people to your cause. The science of how to strengthen your cause with micro-incentives is still in its infancy. I hope you'll join me in thinking about ways we might employ this technology to its fullest potential. For now, these are my thoughts:

Infinitely repeatable micro-bounties, like "post a comment on a newsarticle," should be limited by the total amount one wishes to spend on that bounty per unit of time, e.g.100 PTS a week. Then we can either end the bounty each week when the 100 PTS is used up, or divide the 100 PTS among the completed tasks each week. In either case we can fix or weigh each contribution. Weighing is costly because judgement is costly. Price fixing is costly because we overpay for low-end contributions.

Non-repeatable micro-bounties, like "translate article Z into Chinese," must be handled differently. In fact, no-repeatable micro-bounties may often be too small to warrant even a thread in this section, so we should have some retrospective tipping function for minor achievements that people can seek on their own and report and document afterwards to the community. Tipping should be as easy as typing  +5% for both the I3 crew and the core community.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:13:53 am by CLains »