Author Topic: How To: Prepare your Wallet for Migration  (Read 9792 times)

Offline Bitshares222

• BTS Account: limpbusta2
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: limpbusta2
Thanks for your prompt answers guys

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
Bittrex missed the BTS2.0 snapshot, and failing to upgrade in 2.0 in time. I think they are probably working on the upgrade now since they originally missed it and suffered double spends because of that.
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline Bitshares222

• View Profile
My registered name is limpbusta1 can someone send me even 0.001 bts?
Another question do someone knows what is going on with bittrex? my funds are in there but the wallet is freezed

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
If you do not have an old wallet to import, you should still download a backup.

Bitshares works with names, so you do not need to look for public keys. Anyone can just transfer funds to the name you registered!!
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline Bitshares222

• View Profile
On the Wallet Management, I have Wallet Management Console,CREATE BACKUPBACKUP BRAINKEYRESTORE BACKUPIMPORT KEYS
CHANGE PASSWORDNEW WALLETDELETE WALLET but no public key..:( Active wallet default and no balance claim

Offline phillyguy

What if im new and do not know about previous wallet and I just want to register on the new wallet, do I have to back up anything? How do I see my public key on the new wallet and how can I send and receive funds since public wallet is not appearing?

Use Bitshares.openledger.info and create a new wallet. You can see your
public key in the settings and send/receive funds should work fine. I've already sent some funds between my accounts, placed a buy order on the DEX, etc.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Bitshares222

• View Profile
What if im new and do not know about previous wallet and I just want to register on the new wallet, do I have to back up anything? How do I see my public key on the new wallet and how can I send and receive funds since public wallet is not appearing?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
What if someone sent me bts or bitassets during that period? Are new keys generated only when i make transactions? If i know for sure that nobody sent me anything i can skip transaction scanning.
Yes, only if you are sure you can skip the scanning ..
Because of TITAN you need to derive your own keys for incoming transactions .. it scans all transactions if it may be for you .. if you miss one you can't spend the funds ...

anyway .. the bts1 blockchain will not 'disappear' .. you can rescan the old blockchain later on and try to catch your transactions

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
You are saying that my 4.1 wallet file or .jason (exported) file will not be recognised in Graphene until I do something I have not been able to do for months (sync a wallet)?

So, what if I can never get 9.3 to run on my computer?  All my old exported .jason's and wallet files are suddenly worthless and unopenable?
If you have not used any of your stake from your wallet then you can simply install the newest version .. recover your backup and export the graphene wallet file .. no need to sync ..

unless you have made transactions or market orders AFTER you have exported your file (like an old copy/backup) .. then you would need to resync the blockchain to "catch" all your funds!

What if someone sent me bts or bitassets during that period? Are new keys generated only when i make transactions? If i know for sure that nobody sent me anything i can skip transaction scanning.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Will I be able to import my keys in WIF format in new BTS 2.0 client? Or will be some way to import old json style backup?
wif will be ok .. it already is ok in the testnet ..
you need, however, to distinguish ACCOUNT wifs (that give access to your account) and balance wifs (that actually CONTAIN your funds -- related to TITAN) ..
Both can be imported manually .. but you will need a cli_wallet to do so eventually (maybe the webwallet can be extended to do so aswell)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
You are saying that my 4.1 wallet file or .jason (exported) file will not be recognised in Graphene until I do something I have not been able to do for months (sync a wallet)?

So, what if I can never get 9.3 to run on my computer?  All my old exported .jason's and wallet files are suddenly worthless and unopenable?
If you have not used any of your stake from your wallet then you can simply install the newest version .. recover your backup and export the graphene wallet file .. no need to sync ..

unless you have made transactions or market orders AFTER you have exported your file (like an old copy/backup) .. then you would need to resync the blockchain to "catch" all your funds!

Offline pal

• View Profile
    • Become Lifetime Member
  • BitShares: pal
Will I be able to import my keys in WIF format in new BTS 2.0 client? Or will be some way to import old json style backup?
Become Lifetime Member:
https://bitshares.openledger.info?r=pal

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

you can test in - try to import your backupt to the testnet graphene.bitshares.org - once it's up again

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
when will the official version of 0.9.3 be released? Right now it's billed as a pre-release.

windows version is working just fine for me.

Should I sticky this thread somewhere / move it to newbies?

Good idea.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Why do we need to upgrade to 9.3

What happens if we just stay in 9.1 or 9.2 (and back up our wallet there) when the lauch hapens?

as far as I know the new wallet_export_keys function is introduced in 0.9.3 - which is needed to import your keys to graphene