Author Topic: BitShares X Status Update  (Read 264048 times)

clout

Hahaha since when did this become a troll box? (Chinese) Ppl stop freaking out. Does the gui delay the test chain? I personally care less about the aesthetics and more about whats under the hood.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
No that UI is still valid for the BTS X trading work.  Nathan graduates in a month and will be working full time on it.  He is one of the most talented developers I have met and producing that GUI was a challenge I didn't expect him to be able to complete given the time we gave him.  He pulled it off and so I am very excited to have him come on board.  Obviously the GUI has some work to do.

I would have liked to have him work more on it the past month or so, but unfortunately that is beyond my power.   We have been interviewing lots of people trying to find the skills we need and so far Nathan has proven himself where as others have not shown the same potential.

Nathan will be joining us full time in May.  He has wowed us with his capabilities in March but got slammed in April.  So, now if we find someone to work this task in the next few weeks and get them spun up they will probably reach the same place Nathan is already about the time Nathan comes on board.  The question is, will they be as good as Nathan has proven to be?

In the meantime, if someone thinks they can cross the finish line on this task faster than Nathan, let us know!  That would certainly position you for a job with us! 

And this product is also an ideal candidate for a third-party entrepreneur to grab a central place in the ecosystem. 

Unless one of these two possibilities emerges, we are already on the shortest path to success we have found.
I have hard time to believe that you cannot find people to do a GUI job. The original launch date was a month ago and you are asking to wait one more for something as simple yet crucial as GUI. It all sounds very suspicious an sad  :'(

Try giving someone the following offer:  "We need you to quit your current project and work for us full time for a month until someone we have already committed to is available to take over."

Top quality developers are almost never available to begin working immediately on such a short time horizon.

(And if there is such a qualified unemployed hero, I have already said we would put them to work immediately.)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Are you serious? I will pay you $1,000 of my own personal money if you find us a qualified Qt GUI developer who can start work full time before this Nathan guy can start.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
No that UI is still valid for the BTS X trading work.  Nathan graduates in a month and will be working full time on it.  He is one of the most talented developers I have met and producing that GUI was a challenge I didn't expect him to be able to complete given the time we gave him.  He pulled it off and so I am very excited to have him come on board.  Obviously the GUI has some work to do.

I would have liked to have him work more on it the past month or so, but unfortunately that is beyond my power.   We have been interviewing lots of people trying to find the skills we need and so far Nathan has proven himself where as others have not shown the same potential.

Nathan will be joining us full time in May.  He has wowed us with his capabilities in March but got slammed in April.  So, now if we find someone to work this task in the next few weeks and get them spun up they will probably reach the same place Nathan is already about the time Nathan comes on board.  The question is, will they be as good as Nathan has proven to be?

In the meantime, if someone thinks they can cross the finish line on this task faster than Nathan, let us know!  That would certainly position you for a job with us! 

And this product is also an ideal candidate for a third-party entrepreneur to grab a central place in the ecosystem. 

Unless one of these two possibilities emerges, we are already on the shortest path to success we have found.
I have hard time to believe that you cannot find people to do a GUI job. The original launch date was a month ago and you are asking to wait one more for something as simple yet crucial as GUI. It all sounds very suspicious an sad  :'(

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
What is the reasoning to not honor AGS that came into existence after 2/28?

It is a weak argument that you promised that. When you said that you also promised a product in about 2 weeks. With the delay now in the significant category, I think it is time to reconsider that. With every passing day it seems more and more like you are not honoring significant part of the AGS  (at least 50% as of today +2 weeks) and arguing with the above argument seems more and more as a way to go around your ‘social consensus’ promise…

More than that (in my opinion) it is unreasonable to not give stake for those who continue their support even with and during the delay.

My 2 bips...

It all boils down to the bump in this chart leading up to February 28th:

People skipped lunch and sold some of their offspring to donate at this time based on the understanding that after the 28th donations would have one less DAC to honor them.

As for why we picked this date, we promised two weeks notice and the 28th was the earliest we thought we could be ready - until we discovered more R&D was needed in the security model.  In the future, we will wait till everything is known to be ready, then give our two weeks notice.  This will make the snapshot occur two weeks later than necessary but will avoid it happening many weeks too early.

Obviously it would have been advantageous for the community to have had the donations toward BTS continue during this time, if we knew then what we know today.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Nathan is in school and has been unable to work on GUI much. :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this a joke?A student, a part time job,and he‘s been too busy too work on it,Tell me it's a joke please

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
What is the reasoning to not honor AGS that came into existence after 2/28?

It is a weak argument that you promised that. When you said that you also promised a product in about 2 weeks. With the delay now in the significant category, I think it is time to reconsider that. With every passing day it seems more and more like you are not honoring significant part of the AGS  (at least 50% as of today +2 weeks) and arguing with the above argument seems more and more as a way to go around your ‘social consensus’ promise…

More than that (in my opinion) it is unreasonable to not give stake for those who continue their support even with and during the delay.

My 2 bips...
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline callmeluc

• View Profile

Is this a joke?A student, a part time job,and he‘s been too busy too work on it,Tell me it's a joke please
BTS_自扯自淡

Offline callmeluc

• View Profile

Is this a joke?Tell me it's joke please
BTS_自扯自淡

Offline jae208

• View Profile
I3 gathered tons of money from investors,then what?I CAN'T SEE ANY SOLID PRODUCT RIGHT NOW.
DELAY AND DELAY AND DELAY AND DELAY.
infinite DELAY.. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Think of it this way:  We have set out on a journey of unknown length.  We can see the goal on a distant mountain top but we know the road before us snakes through many valleys and dark forests where there await lions and tigers and bears.

Those who have been watching closely note that every obstacle is overcome quickly and we become stronger and stronger after every battle. ("Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.") They see victory after victory after victory after victory while others only see the delays associated with those victories.

Our little band of intrepid hobbits have put everything on the line.  Others have invested much.  We have invested all.  If it were possible to take a shorter, straighter road with fewer obstacles along the way, we certainly would!

+5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5%
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline bodenliu

• View Profile
I create a git to coding GUI.
https://github.com/cgafeng/BTX
need somebody help edit the    CMakeLists.txt.
great!

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I3 gathered tons of money from investors,then what?I CAN'T SEE ANY SOLID PRODUCT RIGHT NOW.
DELAY AND DELAY AND DELAY AND DELAY.
infinite DELAY.. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Think of it this way:  We have set out on a journey of unknown length.  We can see the goal on a distant mountain top but we know the road before us snakes through many valleys and dark forests where there await lions and tigers and bears.

Those who have been watching closely note that every obstacle is overcome quickly and we become stronger and stronger after every battle. ("Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.") They see victory after victory after victory after victory while others only see the delays associated with those victories.

Our little band of intrepid hobbits have put everything on the line.  Others have invested much.  We have invested all.  If it were possible to take a shorter, straighter road with fewer obstacles along the way, we certainly would!

Offline bodenliu

• View Profile
Nathan graduates in a month and will be working full time on it. 

So he will graduate let's say May 15th, and from then he start full time working on GUI... >:( when will xts liquid??
Fine, I just hope this guy really exist.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:11:22 pm by bodenliu »

Offline bytemaster

I thought I would update everyone on our GUI development.   We have been working with a bright developer named Nathan who has put together a large amount of a basic GUI for the BTS wallet.  He still has some work to do, but his progress is still significant.

It isn't quite the interface I would have designed, but is certainly a step up from the command line and we will enhance it as time progresses.

this UI is invalid、canceled?

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline wesphily

• View Profile
I'm not worried as this was kind of my "throw it in and see what happens" bet. If it should fail then fine. If not then great. I was just simply stating that we are passed the "in good time" phase.