Author Topic: The BTS back end works great, the UI isn't good and needs to be changed  (Read 2991 times)

jakub

we definitely need to discuss the UI interface on the next mumble.

The update from 0.9.3c to 2.0 is a mess and we are almost back to the launch of the first BitShares Blockchain.... We missed a great chance here...

It's not a mess, the GUI just needs 2-3 weeks to be finished and all the bugs need to be traced down.
The important thing is that the GUI has a very solid foundation so it does not need to be refactored, it just needs to finished.

We missed our chance but we can still recover from it.

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
we definitely need to discuss the UI interface on the next mumble.

The update from 0.9.3c to 2.0 is a mess and we are almost back to the launch of the first BitShares Blockchain.... We missed a great chance here...
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
I agree with the first post.

Just copy and paste the Poloniex layout, It works. has been tested  and people are familiar with it .

at least poloniex night mode is optional.
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
The circle around the operations under tye recent transactions or recent history makes it look we are back to the eighties, looks like a club sign. I like the colour scheme, the circles are what make it look a little weird.

Im looking forward to businesses doing their own UI. Moonstone is still 2 months away
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
their front end UIs look at least 40,000% better.  That's the bad news.  The good news is, fixing the UI isn't very hard.

+5% - Agreed, we need a wallet even my grandma would understand, a crypto-noobs-friendly wallet at the very least. Bar none, Crypti has the cleanest interface. Google material design, color, cards, done. Just need to grab a Google UX/UI Expert off of elance, bamm, done.

Can we just copy their UI? Wow. Love the Dapp Store.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
their front end UIs look at least 40,000% better.  That's the bad news.  The good news is, fixing the UI isn't very hard.

+5% - Agreed, we need a wallet even my grandma would understand, a crypto-noobs-friendly wallet at the very least. Bar none, Crypti has the cleanest interface. Google material design, color, cards, done. Just need to grab a Google UX/UI Expert off of elance, bamm, done.

Like yunbi, the exchange screen should be colorful and include all the tools we need so that I never have to look at polo or any other centralized exchange again. Make it colorful and React(ive) so even expert traders will fall in love with it, just like ThinkOrSwim did it.

Mass Adoption will come with ease of use. Never let coders do the design work, sorry. The masses of end users are not coders... This stuff is hard enough as it is. Try giving telephone technical support to a crypto-noob on our current wallet. They'll get frustrated and give up in 5min flat.

Now, if we had a UI where we could tell the user "yeah, ya see that green button on the left that says Send Money? tap that". "you see that black and white barcode up in the top right corner? tap that"

It's impressive and I think that should be where we want to get to.
I wonder how difficult it is to redo the gui?

I like the current gui for the most part, but when you compare it to the glossy one above you need to be honest. I comments are not personal, I'm just thinking of what's the best possible front end for the best possible user experience.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:24:08 pm by mike623317 »

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

Like yunbi, the exchange screen should be colorful and include all the tools we need so that I never have to look at polo or any other centralized exchange again. Make it colorful and React(ive) so even expert traders will fall in love with it, just like ThinkOrSwim did it.

Mass Adoption will come with ease of use. Never let coders do the design work, sorry. The masses of end users are not coders... This stuff is hard enough as it is. Try giving telephone technical support to a crypto-noob on our current wallet. They'll get frustrated and give up in 5min flat.

Now, if we had a UI where we could tell the user "yeah, ya see that green button on the left that says Send Money? tap that". "you see that black and white barcode up in the top right corner? tap that"
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Other people can make a wallet that looks better, and there are multiple wallet projects in the works.  There is incentive to create your own better wallet and get referrals. ;)  So this is a problem the community can fix.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

clout

I think that if we are going to copy the ui of any exchange it should be yunbi. Poloniex doesn't look professional at all. The biggest problem with the current format is that it shows market depth at the top and historical prices underneath the order form. It should be how it was in bts1.0 where historical prices are shown at the top and that graph can be toggled between toggled to show the market depth (this uses less space for the same information). Additionally the exchange page should jump to the preferred market. And the side bar on the left should look like yunbi's where other markets and prices are shown along with the trade history of the current market. Overall though, I think this wallet looks a lot better than those of nxt and crypti.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
I think, however, the objective for now was to have a working product people could use. Details would be left for another time in the future. Also couldn't Polo or any other exchange's interface be copied? With more or less a month to tweak it, we should have something good looking.

Maybe this would be more difficult since different exchanges provide different features but couldn't we have a list of interfaces copying exchanges? Then the user would get the one he is more used to. Dunno if this would be a waste of time, it probably would as it's not that necessary lol. But assuming the code from another exchange's UI can be easily copied + a month to work around it should be enough to release something shiny :)

Guess that's what we will decide from now on with worker proposals. Probably one of the first few ones will be amongst improving the UI and the bond market

Offline kingjohal

• View Profile
As a potential investor who was watching from the outside I expected something more. The exchange UI should be on POLONIEX level. However this coin is still very impressive and I don't think investing anywhere else right now is smart. I want to see Bitshares grow.

Hopefully we can brush up Bitshares 2.0 GUI to bring more people on board. I'm talking coinbase quality or polo...it makes it easier for people like me who have not been involved in crypto so long.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Agreed. UX and UI seems rushed and wasn't fully "cooked". Although honestly the UI for Bitshares wasn't much better at first and it takes a bit of time to do it.

More focus should be on making Bitshares pretty, and on allowing more customization of the interface. Anonymous statistics can be collected to improve it using a/b testing.

jakub

I also think there is a long way ahead of us before our UX is satisfying for both beginners and professional traders.
For me this is just a starting point and hopefully the GUI will evolve. Also, we are yet to see what Moonstone's approach is going to be like.

But the main thing has been achieved: thanks to react.js and web sockets the GUI is responsive and feels like truly connected to live data.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
From what ive seen it looks more like a walçet than an exchange, however if we want to advertise it as an exchange, it needs to look like one. As long as ita stable its already an achievement but i agree we need to make it looi more like an exchange and keep it simple and clean
 As an example you have Google and Yahoo. Yahoo has lots of stuff, its a complete mess, Google only has the search bar, keep it simple and stick to the essential only.

I also dont see any problem on taking any other exchanges interface with a few tweaks here and there.

Offline r0ach

• View Profile
Bitshares back end is better than NXT and Crypti, but their front end UIs look at least 40,000% better.  That's the bad news.  The good news is, fixing the UI isn't very hard.

1)  No matter what tab of the UI you're on, your account balance and a send money button should ALWAYS be visible somewhere in the UI.  Both Crypti and NXT have this for a reason.  Bitshares UI doesn't have it.

2)  The exchange UI in particular on Bitshares might be the worst exchange interface ever created.  Something like the Poloniex UI should just be flat out copied in every aspect.  The current exchange UI is completely unusable.

3)  The wallet management page has a lot of functionality on it, too much functionality to be hidden away and buried under the "existing accounts" section.  That page should probably be moved to a link named "wallet management" in one of three places.  Either on the left side of the screen as it's own menu tab, as a drop down menu at the top, or accessed by a settings/options button on the UI that's always visible.

4)  Having a menu on the left side of the screen and on the top makes the Bitshares UI awkward and cumbersome to use.  The menu at the top that says "Account, Explorer, Exchange, Transfer" needs to be removed.  Everything should be accessed by a menu on the left like the Crypti UI picture below.  The Crypti UI looks a million times cleaner and better.  Since they stole DPOS from Bitshares, just steal their whole UI and call it a day so we can move on.  If you want the exchange UI to open full screen without the tabs on the left, just add a "menu" or "home" button somewhere on the exchange UI page to take you back to normal.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:00:34 am by r0ach »