Author Topic: [ANN] reverse-engineer of MMC (GPU) miner  (Read 12152 times)

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn
we're not only fighting the established currencies, but the whole narrow-minded profit-oriented system!

Vote sera for king of cryptoanarchism!

emre

Coin is open source. CPU miner is open source. How does keeping the gpu miner source closed help the community?  Does the author also operate the pool or are they partnered with 1gh. I'm not accusing or anything, just asking questions. Gpu mining is obviously popular and quite powerful. Shouldn't more pools have access to the gpu miner? Wouldn't this ultimately help the coin and create some competition between the pools?

I agree that it doesn't help the community and should be open-source.

On the other hand, the important thing is author choosed not to make it open. it's a preference, he owns it, he has the rights.

I agree. And in addition, decompiling is not the same as reverse engineering :)

yes, it's not the same. but you should take a look at the op's links in the first post. I have nothing against to make another gpu-miner.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:05:26 pm by emre »

Offline seraphim

It's a developer choice. And you free to choice to use it or not.

I'm sorry but I really disapprove this thread.

FaSan

reorder is the author afaik, so it's kind of approved by him.

and isn't the whole crypto movement about freedom? being able to re software is very important for decentralization.

following your argument, there still would be no ntfs-support in linux...and that's just one example

we're not only fighting the established currencies, but the whole narrow-minded profit-oriented system!
Meet you on STEEM

Offline phrozenspite

• View Profile
My thought, write your own GPU miner, or toss some hefty donations for the existing one.  Don't pull a LukeJr
supporting Newmine for a fair Memorycoin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=389386.0

Offline reorder

• View Profile
I don't think decompiling the gpu miner is  appropriate since the author didn't make it open-source in the first place.

Coin is open source. CPU miner is open source. How does keeping the gpu miner source closed help the community?  Does the author also operate the pool or are they partnered with 1gh. I'm not accusing or anything, just asking questions. Gpu mining is obviously popular and quite powerful. Shouldn't more pools have access to the gpu miner? Wouldn't this ultimately help the coin and create some competition between the pools?
You are probably confusing cryptoanarchy for communism, as it seems.

Offline FaSan

• View Profile
I don't think decompiling the gpu miner is  appropriate since the author didn't make it open-source in the first place.

It's a developer choice. And you free to choice to use it or not.

I'm sorry but I really disapprove this thread.

FaSan

Offline Velocd

• View Profile

Offline earntodie

• View Profile
exactly. 1 big pool destroys the decentralization idea.
I've been saying this since MMCPool.com, we cannot have one pool that has a huge advantage over the others
Use http://mmcpool.com/ it is bestest pool ever 8)
1GH CLUB!! PTS mining club - PTS.1GH.COM, MEMORY coin mining club - MMC.1GH.COM, MAX coin mining club - MAX.1GH.COM

Offline 5chdn

• View Profile
    • Votesapp
Come on, it is going to happen. But I think it is about as hard to RE the miner as it is to write an original one. Besides, implementing one gives the invaluable experience, while reverse engineering gives basically nothing. And, supporting the thing is even harder, let alone running a pool under high load. GL to anyone who tries, you've been warned :)

I agree. And in addition, decompiling is not the same as reverse engineering :)

Everyone had the chance to vote me to buy the miner, but that didn't happen  :D

Offline reorder

• View Profile
Come on, it is going to happen. But I think it is about as hard to RE the miner as it is to write an original one. Besides, implementing one gives the invaluable experience, while reverse engineering gives basically nothing. And, supporting the thing is even harder, let alone running a pool under high load. GL to anyone who tries, you've been warned :)

Offline FaSan

• View Profile
I don't think decompiling the gpu miner is  appropriate since the author didn't make it open-source.

I agree.

What is it ? The pirate boat ? Stop to do it.

FaSan

emre

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:19:06 pm by emre »

Offline reorder

• View Profile
I've been saying this since MMCPool.com, we cannot have one pool that has a huge advantage over the others
So, you need to start and run more pools or keep talking about how you need more of them?

Offline isaacgoldbourne

• View Profile
MemoryDice now available! https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1886.0
 Vote for me to be CNO of memorycoin if you want these services. Just send 1 satoshi!
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm

Offline 5chdn

• View Profile
    • Votesapp
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:49:05 pm by donschoe »