Author Topic: Committee Proposal: clayop - Toward Trader Friendly DEX  (Read 6351 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
How are you voting on the reversal back ?
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
I created a proposal to increase the fee 50%. Until people believe that high fee is not good, I will propose the transfer fee at $0.2. (Actually, it's BM's preference)
At the same time, I proposed to decrease transfer fee to 9 BTS. (This is what I really want)
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
One problem might also be people not being able to fully migrate. me, for example, couldn't do anything with the previous client as it would freeze. With the new one I was pretty happy since for the first time I could actually use something I've been supporting for quite a while, but still can't due to some issues. I think we will only see the volume increase a bit when everyone can import their keys. That may help kickstart some markets. Then new users will follow.

At the moment you only get liquidity if new users join or if old supporters can import their keys. New users won't provide liquidity or use the exchange much, since there is no liquidity. The ones more likely to do so are older members but some are still struggling.

It will be a gradual process. I don't think the fees are that important at the moment simply because we have no one using the client yet.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
In your system (op), I don't see why anybody would want a life time membership. I think, it was making sense for traders to buy one but if you lower so much the fees, there is no inventive anymore.

Why no just lower the "cancel order fee" at the minimum, just to remove all the critics about it and let the rest of the fee structure as it is. At the end of the day, it's very cheap compared to 0.1-0.2% of your filled order if you trade more than 1 btc / trade.

Right now, there is less incentive to become lifetime member. However, as BTS price goes up, there will be more incentive to become lifetime member (e.g. when BTS = $0.02, the breakeven point of lifetime member is 6,250 transactions).

And you must remember that many UIAs already have market fee of 0.1%~0.2%. So the trading fee is additional.
delegate-clayop

Offline EstefanTT

In your system (op), I don't see why anybody would want a life time membership. I think, it was making sense for traders to buy one but if you lower so much the fees, there is no inventive anymore.

Why no just lower the "cancel order fee" at the minimum, just to remove all the critics about it and let the rest of the fee structure as it is. At the end of the day, it's very cheap compared to 0.1-0.2% of your filled order if you trade more than 1 btc / trade.
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Several exchange startups subsidize transaction costs for the first few months of operation, don't they? On top of that we can't even claim to be at "1.0" relative to centralized business models providing the same service. On top of that the percent inflation we lose by fees are imperceptible relative to expected volatility. On top of that perception is extremely important in this space if we want higher marketcap; whales are speculating based on rumors and catch-phrases.

To be clear, I don't know the effect of higher or lower fees. These are just the obvious arguments for lower fees.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
a bunch of individuals making trades, but using their own funds for market making.

Pretty much what we need. What's keeping us from doing this? Why not take some bots nubits style, that would bring in more liquidity.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
I just found we only have about 2500 orders (all types of) in last 20 days. A daily average is 100 orders, which is really low. And fee burnt by trading is only 5,000 BTS so far.

I want to increase number of orders by reducing trading fees.

If we have 30000 orders daily (1 per 3 sec) and 20% is filled, the fee burnt is 1,680 BTS per day. So many empty blocks, missing opportunities...

this has nothing to do with Fees in my opinion. there's 0 liquidity and just nothing to do on our DEX at the moment. what are current trading fees in $? less than a cent?
At least, higher than other exchanges. (Except trade.btc)
delegate-clayop

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I just found we only have about 2500 orders (all types of) in last 20 days. A daily average is 100 orders, which is really low. And fee burnt by trading is only 5,000 BTS so far.

If we have 30000 orders daily (1 per 3 sec) and 20% is filled, the fee burnt is 1,680 BTS per day. So many empty blocks, missing opportunities...

this has nothing to do with Fees in my opinion. there's 0 liquidity and just nothing to do on our DEX at the moment. what are current trading fees in $? less than a cent?

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea

delegate-clayop

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
Thanks for votes for me! I'm in now but need more votes. And please don't forget to vote for bitcrab (We both support each other in terms of lowering fees)
delegate-clayop

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
Lowering fees is not going to increase volume like you think it will. All it is going to do is make bts unprofitable.  I strongly advise against this proposal.

Research some forex brokers (non Ecn) and you will realize the ways that their liquidity is generated is not through a bunch of individuals making trades, but using their own funds for market making.

I feel like these committee proposals are dangerous. Most have been reactionary and shoot from the hip.  I have no evidence from clayop that shows why he is qualified to make changes to fees.  Has he worked for a broker? Does he know anything about the revenue model and risks that brokers and exchanges must deal with?  Nothing against him, but this seems to be the behavior of most of the committee members.  Numbers need to back up your reasoning for why we should change.  Saying it will probably bring in more traders isn't enough.  We need to know how many traders we need to break even with the newly proposed rules.

I didn't say lower fee increase our volume significantly. As you said, higher volume may mainly come from market making bots (which are surely lifetime members).
However, higher fee obviously drive lay-traders out. You must know that many of UIAs already have "market fee" of 0.1%~0.2%. Trading fees are additional.

Also, how do you know my proposal make BTS unprofitable? It may reduce fee burning speed. But increase of users can offset it.
IMHO, the argument that high fee makes BTS profitable also dangerous.
delegate-clayop

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Lowering fees is not going to increase volume like you think it will. All it is going to do is make bts unprofitable.  I strongly advise against this proposal.

Research some forex brokers (non Ecn) and you will realize the ways that their liquidity is generated is not through a bunch of individuals making trades, but using their own funds for market making.

I feel like these committee proposals are dangerous. Most have been reactionary and shoot from the hip.  I have no evidence from clayop that shows why he is qualified to make changes to fees.  Has he worked for a broker? Does he know anything about the revenue model and risks that brokers and exchanges must deal with?  Nothing against him, but this seems to be the behavior of most of the committee members.  Numbers need to back up your reasoning for why we should change.  Saying it will probably bring in more traders isn't enough.  We need to know how many traders we need to break even with the newly proposed rules.

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
support.

I doubt the logic that "set fee high, then user will buy lifetime member". I feel till now most of the lifetime members are bought by old users. they buy as they have no better choice. seldom new users come and less buy lifetime member, hope stat can help whether this feeling is correct.

hope the fee can be low enough to attract new users to come and trade.

Email:bitcrab@qq.com