Author Topic: Things the Committee can do you may not know  (Read 1894 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
@fuzzy https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18959.135.html here is my lair where I can say and do as I please :) go ahead and ask me

Offline fuzzy

won't elaborate here, would derail this thread :) just follow committee announcements and you can craft your own opinion

here is the topic:  Things the Committee can do you may not know
I feel personally that this is the perfect place for people to become aware of it.  Crafting my own opinion is great and I assure you I will...I would just love to get a bit of information from you as to your opinions.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
I'll say this...if committee members are not paid by bitshares (incentivized to think of bitshares first), they will likely seek payment by using the position in some other way to profit themselves (and it will likely be ways that are partially hidden from onlookers).  I'm not saying current committee members will do it...just saying in the future it is a very real possibility.

this happened already.

Nothing wrong with compensating them for their time (eg. 2-3 hours per week) would be perfectly fine in my opinion.

Can you elaborate as to what happened?

And also, I am not altogether certain 2-3 hours a week will cover the amount of time it really requires.  Let's not forget that on top of communicating and planning changes that they also have to keep abreast on most anything bitshares related or risk missing some important factoid that will hinder their decision-making.

Being a good committee member is going to be at the very least an ample part time job.

won't elaborate here, would derail this thread :) just follow committee announcements and you can craft your own opinion

2-3 hours would cover a weekly meeting and a follow up, that's basic compensation imo

Offline fuzzy

I'll say this...if committee members are not paid by bitshares (incentivized to think of bitshares first), they will likely seek payment by using the position in some other way to profit themselves (and it will likely be ways that are partially hidden from onlookers).  I'm not saying current committee members will do it...just saying in the future it is a very real possibility.

this happened already.

Nothing wrong with compensating them for their time (eg. 2-3 hours per week) would be perfectly fine in my opinion.

Can you elaborate as to what happened?

And also, I am not altogether certain 2-3 hours a week will cover the amount of time it really requires.  Let's not forget that on top of communicating and planning changes that they also have to keep abreast on most anything bitshares related or risk missing some important factoid that will hinder their decision-making.

Being a good committee member is going to be at the very least an ample part time job.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:07:21 am by fuzzy »

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

this happened already.

Offline fuzzy

I would love to be a committee member until I realize how much work I do without being one.  People have to work and have real lives outside of bitshares...so the only people I personally think should be in committee member positions are those who have their own graphene-based chains and have sharedropped, in accordance with the social consensus, part of it onto bts holders.  Why do I say this?

1)  People who have their own graphene based chains are far more likely to be technically savvy enough to make good decisions about the course of the flagship.
2)  People who have their own graphene chains will likely also have a team outside of the core bitshares team who is at the very least proficient with the code, and at most will be capable of strengthening some of our current weaknesses. 
3)  This strategy will save resources and help ensure there is no unnecessary duplication of work between graphene chains, which means that if one graphene chains builds it...it will likely be cheaply integrated into others. 
4)  People in charge of their own graphene chains will be obviously biased to make sure the flagship DAC, BTS, will evolve in a way that best suits their projects' current and future needs...but at least the entire community will know how and why they are biased (kind of like the idea of making politicians wear jumpsuits like the Nascar drivers where it is obvious who the sponsors are...

If this is done, then I see why committee memberships are not paid positions...

But to be honest, I disagree with the idea of expecting any of our community members to step up more without giving them something in return...bitshares' community really needs to start recognizing that if we dont spend tokens on infrastructure and other amazing things (like committee memberships) that will require nearly a fulltime job to adequately accomplish over time, our chain will largely stagnate and be forced to a lower marketcap where our cashflow will buy even less.  We have to think about it as a business and realize right now we are in a phase where we need to pay to enable the beautiful things we want to do.   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:19:21 am by fuzzy »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Hey there,

I have a feeling that many here don't know yet what the committee is actually capable of doing *IF* it's members reach >51% approval!
The "committee-account" is a multi-signature account owned by the committee members.
Hence, all funds in this account are controlled by the committee-account (currently a few BTS).
But, all major MPAs have been created by the committee-account, which means that accumulated fees from those markets can be controlled by the committee aswell (currently over 2M BTS in different assets). So, besides the WORKER concept, we have a second means of funding: the funds controlled by the committee account.

Interestingly, the consequence of owning the major bitassets, is that they also own the SYMBOLS and could (if they can agree) create GOLD.USD, a market pegged asset for gold, backed by USD.
They could even issue GOLD.FLOAT as a gold market with truly floating price (i.e. disabled settlement)

Discuss!

Cheers

To jump start a discussion: I will remove my vote from every committee member that tries to claim a cut of those funds to "compensate" his work in the committee!