Author Topic: Censorship is a sign of weakness  (Read 15286 times)

Tuck Fheman

but any sane person should realise

I'm offended by your comment.

I request that Ben Mason be banned.

Offline onceuponatime

He repeatedly violated the Terms of Service that he agreed to in order to use this forum.
I think he should have been banned quite some time ago. I am against censorship of ideas or discussion or criticism. But quite often his posts were none of those. They were verbal violence against another Forum participant.

"You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum."

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I can assure you he was already banned before you requested it.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Coming from thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20452.0.html

Let's discuss and review the fate of lzr1900 as toast and tuck fheman disagree with the forum ban I requested.

My reasons for requesting the ban...

If I was the regular subject of someone's vulgarity and slander, I wouldn't like it.....the way sand flies can interfere with ones enjoyment of a beautiful beach.
Potential for reputational damage both to the subject and community.
Everyone has standards for communication they expect to be adhered to.....for instance, if one were to threaten a community member, I'm sure that would result in a ban.
If there were a thousand lzr1900's, would ignoring them be an effective strategy? Or if the frequency of vulgar and slanderous comments was even higher?
Lzr1900's comments, at least in part, are an attempt to censor the subject.

I certainly do not advocate for the censorship of any kind of discussion, debate, journalism, revelation of truth, disagreement, conflicting ideas etc. I do however advocate for upholding lzr1900's ban. He has had plenty of opportunities to air his sentiments and enough is enough. Why should a valued member of the community have his engagement on the forum continually contaminated by lzr1900's vitriol?

A case of censorship should be reviewed as it is a serious restriction of freedom.....but any sane person should realise that we must all restrict our freedoms when there is the possibility of affecting others. It is what give us the potential to live in harmony.  Courtesy is an exceptional means of finding the right balance.  I hope this community continues to represent the higher ideal of freedom but is also able to foster a culture of respectful interactions.

Finally, he can always create another account and perhaps engage with the community more constructively.