Author Topic: How to log-out from BitShares 2.0  (Read 5862 times)

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile
  • BitShares: kmnk
I do understand all this, that anybody can see all blockchain, but If I could delete all data (trace) form my browser it would be more difficult to identify (only from blockchain) which account belongs to whom, right?  And if anybody takes my computer, to transfer my funds he needs  only a password.  And If my browser was clean (logeout) from my previous session - he would need to:
a) know that some coins is there and
b) have password AND
c) the back-up file.  Correct me if I am thinking i a wrong way. Thank you.

Like most bitcoin or other proper crypto wallets a bitshares wallet requires a password to decrypt the stored private keys and spend the funds. There is no "login" or "log out". If someone takes your device with the wallet on it, they only need to know the password. HAVE A STRONG PASSWORD

https://xkcd.com/936/ - on password strength

a) "know that some coins are there" - fair point, you can clear your browser history to hide the site but the wallet file is still going to be on your computer
b) "password" - This is the main point HAVE A STRONG PASSWORD
c) "backup file" - if someone takes your computer, they will have this, make a backup of your backup.

the wallet automatically times out and requires the password, or you can click the lock symbol in the top right and your wallet is secure
(HAVE A STRONG PASSWORD)

-------------------------

If you do decide to open your BitShares wallet on a friend's or public computer:

1.) DON'T

They could have spyware, keyloggers, malware to copy your wallet file or any number of other nasty things.
remember, this isn't like "signing in" to a poloniex account, to use your bitshares wallet you need to move your wallet file to the new device and restore the backup.

If you do it anyways and you want to wipe the cache and all memory of your wallet here's how:

1. Click your account name in the top right corner, click settings
2. Click "wallet"
3. Under "delete wallet" select your active wallet (probably "default")
4. Click the "delete wallet" button, click "yes, delete wallet"
5. Close the browser, open the browser to homepage (not wallet page)
6. Clear the cache (in Chrome go to:  chrome://settings/clearBrowserData      in firefox go to "history" then "clear recent history", select all the options)
7. I hope you didn't put your wallet file on the harddrive, but if you did delete it. Delete and then empty the trash/recycle bin.

Step 5 is because the account name lingers if the cache is cleared while the wallet page is still open, really the account name should disappear when the wallet is deleted. Perhaps @vikram or @Agent86 could look into this.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:19:57 pm by KenMonkey »

Offline yvv

• View Profile
To transfer your funds, someone needs your private active key, which is stored in encrypted wallet file. This file can be deleted by clearing browser cache.

Edit: Ooops, clearing browser cache does not work anymore. How to delete my wallet?

Edit2: Deleting default.bin from settings menu removed my account name from the front page, but it is still shown at the top-right list menu. This looks like a bug to me.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:36:21 pm by yvv »

Offline m200

I do understand all this, that anybody can see all blockchain, but If I could delete all data (trace) form my browser it would be more difficult to identify (only from blockchain) which account belongs to whom, right?  And if anybody takes my computer, to transfer my funds he needs  only a password.  And If my browser was clean (logeout) from my previous session - he would need to:
a) know that some coins is there and
b) have password AND
c) the back-up file.  Correct me if I am thinking i a wrong way. Thank you. 

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Assume I am on public computer (library) and do not want to leave any private date in the browser on https://bitshares.openledger.info/
What should I do? There is no "logout" option…
Should I delete the browser? I guess, no.
I have tied to delete a "wallet" but my balance is still visible after I delete all wallets, any advice?

You are out of luck here. Everybody can see your account data from any computer in the world since it is recorded on the public blockchain. You can prevent others seeing you private keys which are needed to modify your account by locking your wallet (lock icon at the top-right). Your account balances and transaction history will still be visible to whole the world. This is a limitation of all public blockchains.

Offline m200

Assume I am on public computer (library) and do not want to leave any private date in the browser on https://bitshares.openledger.info/
What should I do? There is no "logout" option…
Should I delete the browser? I guess, no.
I have tied to delete a "wallet" but my balance is still visible after I delete all wallets, any advice?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
To switch to a different account, you need a different account and you will most likely find it in the overview page.
If you have multiple accounts in your wallet and want to separated them for different computers, you can get the account's individual private keys in the permissions page of the accounts (left navigation page)

All you need to do is take those private keys (owner, active and memo) and import them into a brand new wallet in the wallet management (settings)
The GUI is essentially the same as OpenLedger

Offline m200

I am not sure what GUI means (stans for). I assume that it is the same online wallet (bitshares.openledger.info)...?
You said >>  ...can contain many separate "accounts"...
Good. How can i switch between accounts?
I do not want to "merge" existing backups. I just want to be able to login to one account and then - to other on the same laptop. Can I do that without using backup file(s)?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:48:09 am by m200 »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The GUI can hold many "wallets" .. each "wallet" can contain many separate "accounts" ...
I don't think the GUI allows to "merge" existing backups into a single wallet ..
but you could export and reimport the account keys individually from the permissions page.

Offline m200

No no.  I have three (3) completely different accounts, I mean three usernames, three separate passwords, three  separate back-up files and so on. I created three because I do not want to keep all my funds under one password. Earlier in 2015 (if I remember correct) I was able to change accounts on the same browser via "Settings" >>  "Wallet Management Console"  (without  using back-up file) and now I can't find this option.

My question is - how can I switch between different accounts easily. 

Thank you!
Mindaugas
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:08:45 am by m200 »

Offline svk

Hello.
Looks like user interface has changed and I can't find out how to log-out from my account again.  :((
I mean to log-out completely (not just change wallets) and to log-in with a different user name and different password?

If I visit  https://bitshares.openledger.info  via different browser    I am forced to create NEW account  (but I already have  3!!!)  - so I want to log-in, but there is no such opinion :((    e.g.  a link.  Hmmmm. What should I do? To download old back-up file of other account?  This does not make sense, because nothing has crashed. I am confused.

Thank you
Mindaugas
If you're asked to create a new account it means the currently active wallet does not have any accounts. You can try going into the settings and see if there's another wallet you can change to. If there isn't you most likely deleted your wallet accidentally and should restore from a backup.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline m200

Hello.
Looks like user interface has changed and I can't find out how to log-out from my account again.  :((
I mean to log-out completely (not just change wallets) and to log-in with a different user name and different password?

If I visit  https://bitshares.openledger.info  via different browser    I am forced to create NEW account  (but I already have  3!!!)  - so I want to log-in, but there is no such opinion :((    e.g.  a link.  Hmmmm. What should I do? To download old back-up file of other account?  This does not make sense, because nothing has crashed. I am confused.

Thank you
Mindaugas

Offline m200

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
you can't logout. you can change the wallet though

if you want to add a wallet use the "Restore Backup" button and import - it'll be added to your wallet list

Offline m200

Hello.

I have a few BitShares accounts and want to switch from one to another.
How can I do that?

I Can’t find “Log-out” button or something similar.

The closest thing I have found is:

Settings >> Wallet Management Console >> Delete Wallet

…but this is probably not that I need.

Please help.  Thank you.