Author Topic: What happens when login to Keyhotee uisng the same profile in another machine?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
I'll have to look into KIDARC.  My reservation though is that I have enough storage to store my data and maybe a friend or two's data but not the entire user bases' data and I'm sure most people would object to a 100PB+ blockchain.  But like I said, I'll need to look into KIDARC to see how they got around this.

KIDARC is just content so far, I don't think they have a distributed hosting system for it yet.  For the content distribution and backups I'm talking about look at BitTorrent Sync and at RetroShare file sharing and forum hosting.  The idea is that each user only stores what he is personally subscribed to.  For forums, this means popular content will propagate and be preserved and that spam will not.  For encrypted backups, this means if no one loves you you may have to pay someone for storage.

Also, (because I'm evil) it occurred to me that integrating the encrypted backup system into a social network and showing publicly to your contacts what storage quota you're granting to each of your other contacts would be entertaining.  It could be an economic solution to the "Friend Inflation" you see with Facebook.

Anyway, kind of off-topic...

Offline Riverhead

Storage should be encrypted unless intended to be public, so the peers wouldn't have to be trusted, and it could start with basic mirroring of contact lists and messages, and scale up to support hosting a full Keyhotee social network like KIDARC.  This could be pretty similar to how Retroshare manages decentralized forums.

I'll have to look into KIDARC.  My reservation though is that I have enough storage to store my data and maybe a friend or two's data but not the entire user bases' data and I'm sure most people would object to a 100PB+ blockchain.  But like I said, I'll need to look into KIDARC to see how they got around this.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

I am kind of hoping it's a torrent type system where if I setup my Keyhotee on another system I'll have the option to sync messages from my other system with the same setup if it's online.  The idea of storing actual messages in the blockchain seems a bit crazy as the blockchain would require Gmail level storage requirements from everyone who syncs it.

Also I love the idea of a p2p raid via blockchain among trusted peers.  This sounds like a great idea for a DAC ;)

We have plans for direct connect which would allow your home computer to be the trusted server for all of your other devices.

This is great, but it solves a separate issue.  The p2p RAID addresses data recovery, not multi location access.  It's certainly lower priority and should be workable as a later Keyhotee plugin.  Lack of automatic backups is a significant negative to a lot of people though, especially if Keyhotee is competing with Gmail, which is not out of the question once it reaches maturity.

Storage should be encrypted unless intended to be public, so the peers wouldn't have to be trusted, and it could start with basic mirroring of contact lists and messages, and scale up to support hosting a full Keyhotee social network like KIDARC.  This could be pretty similar to how Retroshare manages decentralized forums.

Offline Riverhead

We have plans for direct connect which would allow your home computer to be the trusted server for all of your other devices.

Excellent  :D .

Offline bytemaster

I am kind of hoping it's a torrent type system where if I setup my Keyhotee on another system I'll have the option to sync messages from my other system with the same setup if it's online.  The idea of storing actual messages in the blockchain seems a bit crazy as the blockchain would require Gmail level storage requirements from everyone who syncs it.

Also I love the idea of a p2p raid via blockchain among trusted peers.  This sounds like a great idea for a DAC ;)

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Riverhead

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:20:09 pm by Riverhead »

Offline bytemaster

I did the same thing today, I was glad I got the same public key, I am guessing that means I set the second computer up correctly. I am guessing with no blockchain, there is no way for it to sync messages?

Both computers will receive messages.  And messages are not stored in a blockchain.  We are working on a solution that would allow both machines to get old messages as well.

Dose that means it's impossible to delete messages in Keyhotee?

The way it is designed was as a broadcast system combined with a direct connect system.  This means that anyone can log all broadcast messages and thus anyone can provide the service of allowing you to download them again.  So in effect, nothing on the internet can ever be deleted.

However, you can delete them from your computer.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline 029xue

• View Profile
I did the same thing today, I was glad I got the same public key, I am guessing that means I set the second computer up correctly. I am guessing with no blockchain, there is no way for it to sync messages?

Both computers will receive messages.  And messages are not stored in a blockchain.  We are working on a solution that would allow both machines to get old messages as well.

Dose that means it's impossible to delete messages in Keyhotee?

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

Are current IPs of individual users stored in a blockchain, or does it use distributed hash tables or something else for this?

In either case I expect you're looking at a solution rather like BitTorrent Sync with all data encrypted to yourself.  Can this be generalized so Keyhotee provides a synchronized general storage directory rather than just syncing emails, messages, and contacts?  Also, could Keyhotee allow users to grant friends a storage quota?

Just brainstorming, so this may be overcomplicated, but if you apply a RAID-like system across your network of friends, it could handle automatic message recovery in case of system failure, as well as syncing between machines without having to leave both powered on simultaneously.

In this case you could also rank friends by how much storage space they're worth, allowing some interesting and potentially dramatic social price discovery...

Offline bytemaster

Offline spoonman

• View Profile

Offline 029xue

• View Profile
Hi,
I run Keyhotee 0.5.0 in another machine using the exact same brain wallet info, what would happen in such situation?

I thought all my contacts/mails should automatically synced to this machine, but after half an hour waiting, nothing happens...

Dose the understanding correct?