Author Topic: Political Irrationality  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
You always have a reason to be a party +5% +5% +5%
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Sounds like someone's been tripping!

Tripping is a hard way to learn about ego! My respect for the spiritual only deepen the more I learn that they meditate and live from that place.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Quote from: CLains
After my spur of research in the Motivation litterature in 2015, i've gradually drifted toward spirituality. This is because it now seems to me that the most persistent illusion that seems to cause the most havoc is the sense of self or "ego." Our ego is constantly out go get something out of fear or desire, motivations driven by more ancient parts of our brain, which then twist our higher intellect into its service.

Sounds like someone's been tripping!

Quote from: CLains
Having tried some psychedelics it sometimes happens [...]

Bingo +5%  :D

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
After my spur of research in the Motivation litterature in 2015, i've gradually drifted toward spirituality. This is because it now seems to me that the most persistent illusion that seems to cause the most havoc is the sense of self or "ego." Our ego is constantly out go get something out of fear or desire, motivations driven by more ancient parts of our brain, which then twist our higher intellect into its service.

Having tried some psychedelics it sometimes happens that people get glimpses of the ego-less state, but then most people quickly fall down again once the effect of the drug wears out. Scientifically the drug pushes activation away from the so-called "default-mode network" which is associated with sense of self and ruminating thoughts revolving around that self. Removed from that DMN, an energy-draining black hole, the activation spreads to the higher cognitive functions of the outer brain and reality is seen without the filter of our ego, our personal lawyer that confabulates all kinds of things to fit a personal narrative and bias.

Some of the spiritual traditions have been warning about the ego, and ego-ism, in this sense, that the DMN gets too much energy and can spiral into destructive, internal loops and depression. However aside from catching glimpses of a state with no ego and ruminating thoughts, the only real way to fight it is to fully understand how it works, and not just intellectually, but using our own awareness to catch the ego in action.

This is called the "direct path" in buddhism, and it goes by way of asking "Who am I?" and being aware as consciousness turns inwardly; one can also ask similar questions, such as "What is here?" or "Where does each thought come from? Where does it go?" or "What feels the feelings?" and other such meditative questions that if we pursue diligently with awareness, honestly and truthfully, we can gradually begin to understand how the mechanisms of defense, fear, jealousy, and embarrassment work in ourselves.

The more we look within to be aware of these things directly from our own experience, we can see how thoughts come, where they come from and perhaps some of the underlying motivations for those thoughts. Then rationality really becomes a matter of deep understanding instead of arguments coming out of nowhere to justify an illusory ego that binds to a given idea or cause out of fear for lack of identity or desire to be something.

+5%

Humility is much in deficiency.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Having tried some psychedelics it sometimes happens that people get glimpses of the ego-less state, but then most people quickly fall down again once the effect of the drug wears out. Scientifically the drug pushes activation away from the so-called "default-mode network" which is associated with sense of self and ruminating thoughts revolving around that self. Removed from that DMN, an energy-draining black hole, the activation spreads to the higher cognitive functions of the outer brain and reality is seen without the filter of our ego, our personal lawyer that confabulates all kinds of things to fit a personal narrative and bias.

Some of the spiritual traditions have been warning about the ego, and ego-ism, in this sense, that the DMN gets too much energy and can spiral into destructive, internal loops and depression. However aside from catching glimpses of a state with no ego and ruminating thoughts, the only real way to fight it is to fully understand how it works, and not just intellectually, but using our own awareness to catch the ego in action.

This is called the "direct path" in buddhism, and it goes by way of asking "Who am I?" and being aware as consciousness turns inwardly; one can also ask similar questions, such as "What is here?" or "Where does each thought come from? Where does it go?" or "What feels the feelings?" and other such meditative questions that if we pursue diligently with awareness, honestly and truthfully, we can gradually begin to understand how the mechanisms of defense, fear, jealousy, and embarrassment work in ourselves.

The more we look within to be aware of these things directly from our own experience, we can see how thoughts come, where they come from and perhaps some of the underlying motivations for those thoughts. Then rationality really becomes a matter of deep understanding instead of arguments coming out of nowhere to justify an illusory ego that binds to a given idea or cause out of fear for lack of identity or desire to be something.

Well said and agreed.  +5%

Humanity is always getting in it's own way.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline bytemaster

Well stated!
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
If we all work harder to reject our biases, whatever their origin, request a higher quality of information before making decisions, engage with each other respectfully and with courtesy, perhaps we can achieve a cultural tendency that supports a reduction of the impact of irrational beliefs and further mitigate their disruptive effects.

I think we have been working towards that goal all this time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
This paper makes so much sense. Thanks for sharing.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
It's a well written paper, although I may be biased since I came to most of the same conclusions a long time ago...
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline bytemaster

I found the following article to be very interesting and potentially helpful for encouraging more robust discussion on the forum:

http://www.owl232.net/irrationality.htm

The ability to recognize our tendency toward irrationality in discussions may help us withhold judgement and be more open to correction.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.