Author Topic: Time to kill the Graphene name.  (Read 3044 times)

Offline bitsharesbrazil

• View Profile
When I share things about Bitshares I always use Bitshares Graphene, we help to promote the tech to more people know n build over it, so we can benefit from what everybody is building over graphene with low cost n help cryptonomex too that brought to us one of most promissing products of crypto world.
bitcointalk ANN https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1084460.0
chat, post, promote it!!!!!!!! Stan help to improve OP!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I must say,

I'm still figuring out what bitshares/graphene/openledger exactly is and how it all fits together and works.
in short:
- graphene is the technology
- bitshares is an actual blockchain built using graphene
- openledger is a platform on top of bitshares that let's you use the blockchain network (like blockchain.info let's u use bitcoin)

Offline fx4all

• View Profile
  • BitShares: FX4ALL
I must say,

I'm still figuring out what bitshares/graphene/openledger exactly is and how it all fits together and works.

But that is also because a lot is going on in cryptoworld.

:-X

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
BitShares doesn't need to use the Graphene name in its marketing, but Cryptonomex does.

Yep. I don't remember any time that I have used "Graphene" when telling about Bitshares to somebody new. It's relevant only to people who are interested in creating another blockchain.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Graphene is a product of Cryptonomex used in BitShares, MUSE, Identabit, and possibly Play.

We also offer it for use in private blockchains for our commercial customers.

There are many different business models that can be implemented using Graphene, one of which is BitShares.

So it would not be correct to say that the others are derived from BitShares. 

Graphene is a superset.   It is a blockchain operating system, while BitShares is just one thing you can build with it.

BitShares doesn't need to use the Graphene name in its marketing, but Cryptonomex does.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
Graphene is the toolkit behind bitshares... Graphene != bitshares.

Other chains use the Graphene toolkit like identabit and muse.

This. BitShares is the name of the blockchain, which is powered by Graphene. There can be many different chains using the Graphene toolkit but there's only one BitShares. That's how I see it.

Thats how you see it is because that is how it is.
But I'm saying it should be changed because it is confusing.
Not confusing for you technical guys but for new people we want to market the product at.
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Graphene is like a c++ class while BitShares would be an instance of said class

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

This. BitShares is the name of the blockchain, which is powered by Graphene. There can be many different chains using the Graphene toolkit but there's only one BitShares. That's how I see it.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile

Alternatively we could say identabit and muse use a fork of the bitshares 2.
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline noisy

I like the name graphene and I like cool codenames but.....

Mixed market messages are a bad idea. I thought graphene was just a code name for BTS2 but for some it sticks.
The backend is named bitshares-2 on github and the frontend is bitshares-2-ui and these use the bitshares blockchain.

Why confuse newbies with the word graphene. Unless we want to rebrand bitshares as graphene lets kill it off now.

theres enough confusion with openledger being the official client.

Totaly agree! I understand, that this was useful during development of new version, but right now this should be changed!
Take a look on: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19625.msg251894.html - I have a crazy idea - lets convince cryptonomex developers to use livecoding.tv

Offline Pheonike

We do need to streamline our product and messaging.  Too much energy is being spent understanding what the product is instead of what it does.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
I like the name graphene and I like cool codenames but.....

Mixed market messages are a bad idea. I thought graphene was just a code name for BTS2 but for some it sticks.
The backend is named bitshares-2 on github and the frontend is bitshares-2-ui and these use the bitshares blockchain.

Why confuse newbies with the word graphene. Unless we want to rebrand bitshares as graphene lets kill it off now.

theres enough confusion with openledger being the official client.
twitter.com/bitshares