Author Topic: BitShares Dev Hangout - February 19, 2016  (Read 2011 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Read Jeff Garziks slides from
https://de.slideshare.net/mobile/jgarzik/bitcoin-30-beyond-smart-contracts
and realize that BTS is closer to bitcoin3.0 than 2.0 ;)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Utility of BitShares is going exponential.. ETH popularizing open 2.0 plattforms.. world financial situation is worsening.. BTC drawing big capital to crypto..

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
yeah, rate limited transactions is basically ready now, and they are going to be testing this with the stealth feature over the next couple weeks.

The interesting part comes after we get these bugs worked out, incentivize liquidity of one market at a time because it is within our power to create sidechains for ETH and BTC meaning htat we could get a piece of Poloniex's BTC/ETH liquidity action because we do not require KYC baby!

Not to mention all the other cool side effects like making our feeds more robust with Augur feeds.

But the reality is that maybe we are too far ahead, and should go for bond market after we incentivize and bring in liquidity.  You know, wait until the Ethereum chain is more mature, and sidechaining tech too.

Either way, these weekly mumbles are addicting!

Plus people can change for "fiat" (smartcoins) with no limit. Most exchanges have limits on those. The only bottleneck on that is they can't withdraw funds without limit, but at least they can trade. At kraken each time you trade for fiat it counts towards your limit.

Well, will Augur be ready by then? Will we manage to use it for feeds? Like you said, we might be ahead, but that's okay.

As for bond markets, I agree we should tackle them next, after the sidechains, however we will not have the depth we need. If we do it too early, just for the sake of getting it ready for when it's usable, will the community be ready to pay upfront? Because we will be paying for something that will somehow have its usage restricted right?

Still. Didn't expect for the Rate Limited Fees (Zero Fees for advertising) would be ready so fast. For the first time ever, I think something was overdelivered. This is a feat!

Also if we have Subsidized Liquidity / Delegated Liquidity or whatever cool name we can find, that should also be done before bond markets so...

For the first time in a while I feel more confident. Let's see how it plays out. Basically with this fork we will have the fastest decentralized exchange, the cheapest decentralized exchange, that allows you to make confidential transactions and is - I assume - the first decentralized exchange able to compete with centralized exchanges (once we implement the subsidized liquidity). That itself is a great feat. For the first time we can go toe to toe against centralized exchanges. It's cool to be aware of that.

My bad, I'm missing something we also need and haven't accomplished yet. A trollbox. We have almost every single thing we can have. Except a trollbox. A simple trollbox. Please.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:11:47 pm by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
yeah, rate limited transactions is basically ready now, and they are going to be testing this with the stealth feature over the next couple weeks.

The interesting part comes after we get these bugs worked out, incentivize liquidity of one market at a time because it is within our power to create sidechains for ETH and BTC meaning that we could get a piece of Poloniex's BTC/ETH liquidity action because we do not require KYC baby!

Not to mention all the other cool side effects like making our feeds more robust with Augur feeds.

But the reality is that maybe we are too far ahead, and should go for bond market after we incentivize and bring in liquidity.  You know, wait until the Ethereum chain is more mature, and sidechaining tech too.

Either way, these weekly mumbles are addicting!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:12:04 pm by Erlich Bachman »
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
@Erlich Bachman so the Rate Limited Transactions will be implemented with stealth too? I was multi tasking during the hangout and didn't pay attention to some parts.

What would you edit here? https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21541.msg280460.html#msg280460

I'm lacking info on the sidechains part.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
Wow that was quick:

TLDR:

BTS Roadmap:

1. "Free Transactions" is done!  BitShares is now (after next fork) officially the cheapest place in the world to trade period....

2. "Liquidity Subsidization" is next - we can all agree we need this because a bond market won't work without liquidity

3. "BTC/ETH" sidechains is going to be the next unique feature that will set us apart from everybody else in the world, and I completely agree.  The boost that this will give the DEX is evolutionary.

- subsidizing liquidity gives us a levering effect (for every $1 in we get a multiple of that in value returned) - (I would vote for this)

- placing orders on the books and hoping that they get filled (providing liquidity) is free
(only reward orders that get filled after 24 hours to prevent selling to yourself)(whales trade for free to keep them from dumping on poloniex)

- Once we have liquidity then we can raise the fees back up and make millionaires out of Long Term Members.  But the chicken has to lay the egg here.

- BitShares can become a sidechain of BTS or ETH but it would require witnesses to run full nodes for BTC and ETH.  This would make BTS the safest exchange for BTS/BTC/ETC/etc.  Also, we could, say obtain feeds from ETH/Augur

Cheers to the community effort that made this all possible!

just plunked another slug o fiat the world's only "real time freechain"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:46:49 pm by Erlich Bachman »
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline BitShares News

• The Source for Hangout Transcripts
    • View Profile
    • BitShares Blockchain News
  • BitShares: bitshares-news
This blog has ceased operation. http://goo.gl/2uU8s7