Author Topic: Import keys into existing wallet? Do they merge?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Thanks Xeroc.  My confusion comes from are we importing the account name & balance or just the balance?  Based on your response the account name for 0.9x are gone and we are simply importing a balance?

No, you can import both: accounts and balances. You can choose what to import, if you want for example just one of them and leave other to be imported later. You can also choose to which account you want a certain balance to be imported in.

If you want to see how it works, just start the importing. You don't have to finish it.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Thanks Xeroc.  My confusion comes from are we importing the account name & balance or just the balance?  Based on your response the account name for 0.9x are gone and we are simply importing a balance?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I'm starting to feel comfortable importing my keys from 0.9x however what exactly happens in the following scenario:

I have already registered a separate name on openledger and have a balance.  When visiting bitshares.openledger.info it automatically loads this wallet.

-When I click "import keys" what exactly will happen? 

The keys will be imported into your existing wallet. That means that
accounts that you have registered in BTS 0.9 will appear in your new
wallet.
You will be given a choice to which accounts you would like to import
your balances.

-Will it create a 2nd "default" wallet in the management console?  Thus having to select between the two?
Nop.

-Will I have 1 wallet with both registered names? 
Yep

-When I backup the wallet after importing, does it backup both registered names? 

Yes. In your case backup in the brain key alone is not sufficient. You
need to create a regular backup file (something .bin)

-Is it best practice for safety and security to first "log out" of my newer wallet by clicking delete and then import the 0.9x keys fresh?  I believe I would now have two separate wallet.bin files to manage?
I don't think it makes any difference. But keep in mind that if you
delete a wallet, you need a backup to be able to access your stuff
again.
Alternatively, you could also just create a new wallet (e.g. default2)
and import your stuff over there.

Any walk through on how accounts are linked to the wallet files would be greatly appreciated!
The only walkthroughs currently available are in the migration guide:
http://docs.bitshares.eu/bitshares/migration

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
I'm starting to feel comfortable importing my keys from 0.9x however what exactly happens in the following scenario:

I have already registered a separate name on openledger and have a balance.  When visiting bitshares.openledger.info it automatically loads this wallet.

-When I click "import keys" what exactly will happen? 
-Will it create a 2nd "default" wallet in the management console?  Thus having to select between the two?
-Will I have 1 wallet with both registered names? 
-When I backup the wallet after importing, does it backup both registered names? 
-Is it best practice for safety and security to first "log out" of my newer wallet by clicking delete and then import the 0.9x keys fresh?  I believe I would now have two separate wallet.bin files to manage?

Any walk through on how accounts are linked to the wallet files would be greatly appreciated!