Author Topic: The BitShares Brand  (Read 28346 times)

Offline Riverhead

Offline super3

• View Profile
Bitshares is a distributed-prediction-market-based polymorphic digital asset exchange, but are you honestly going to say that on an elevator to someone? We need to shorten that to something understandable. Bitcoin - Digital Currency. Bitshares -  Assets Exchange?

Nope, BitShares is not an asset exchange anymore. You're thinking of BitShares BEX. BitShares is a loose collection of I3 DACs which all have the common theme that they relate to equity. What you're suggesting would be natural and easy to market, but we have a new Branding StrategyTM

You can own a bitcoin. You can't own a bitshare (anymore). You can own a unit of a thing which has the brand BitShares prepended to it though.
Ah ok. Makes sense. Really love this concept now.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Bitshares is a distributed-prediction-market-based polymorphic digital asset exchange, but are you honestly going to say that on an elevator to someone? We need to shorten that to something understandable. Bitcoin - Digital Currency. Bitshares -  Assets Exchange?

Nope, BitShares is not an asset exchange anymore. You're thinking of BitShares BEX. BitShares is a loose collection of I3 DACs which all have the common theme that they relate to equity. What you're suggesting would be natural and easy to market, but we have a new Branding StrategyTM

You can own a bitcoin. You can't own a bitshare (anymore). You can own a unit of a thing which has the brand BitShares prepended to it though.

I agree it is a bit messy.  Thank you all for your feedback I am sure Stan & Brian will hear you out and entertain ideas to clear things up.   Something to consider is the following:

BitShares BEX -> Currency Assets (ie banking)
BitShares CEX ->  CommodityShares  Commodities (ie comex)
BitSHares NDQ -> TechShares    Tech Exchange, Nasdaq
BitShares DOW -> ...

You get the idea, all of these BitShares changes are 100% identical except for the asset names in the prediction markets.  They are all "BitShares" but each has a dedicated purpose.   Given this reality having BitShares PTS, AGS, DMS, etc don't seem that out of place.

Brian and Stan are reasonable people looking for a good branding solution and I am very busy with other tasks so generally defer to them on these issues.  I will have to increasingly rely on others (Dan Notestein for Keyhotee) etc to fully implement my vision and ideas.

Thank you. The main point is that "bitshares" should only be used for DACs that are the asset-tracking market thing (which can be interconnected as described in the whitepaper), which works for all the examples bytemaster gives here. We should *not* just milk the term "bitshares" for all the SEO juice it's worth to draw more attention to PTS/AGS.

Given this reality having BitShares PTS, AGS, DMS, etc don't seem that out of place.
DMS yes, if it is implemented as an asset-tracking marketplace where the assets are domains, using the same mechanism as the above bitshare types.

PTS and AGS should not be classified as a sub-group of BitShares, which is what branding them with BitShares causes a normal person to automatically assume.
edit: Unless you implement cross-chain trading for PTS to be able to link them into the BitShares equity ecosystem.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:57:04 am by toast »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

I agree it is a bit messy.  Thank you all for your feedback I am sure Stan & Brian will hear you out and entertain ideas to clear things up.   Something to consider is the following:

BitShares BEX -> Currency Assets (ie banking)
BitShares CEX ->  CommodityShares  Commodities (ie comex)
BitSHares NDQ -> TechShares    Tech Exchange, Nasdaq
BitShares DOW -> ...

You get the idea, all of these BitShares changes are 100% identical except for the asset names in the prediction markets.  They are all "BitShares" but each has a dedicated purpose.   Given this reality having BitShares PTS, AGS, DMS, etc don't seem that out of place.

Brian and Stan are reasonable people looking for a good branding solution and I am very busy with other tasks so generally defer to them on these issues.  I will have to increasingly rely on others (Dan Notestein for Keyhotee) etc to fully implement my vision and ideas. 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:00:00 am by toast »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline super3

• View Profile

Offline logxing

BTS Account:logxing

Offline toast

• View Profile
I've collected everything I'm trying to say in one post to make replying easier.

Thanks for the answers and patience from Stan and others. I'm arguing with you guys because I think this is a *really* important issue and that you haven't realized how much confusion it could cause.

Please tell me what the new names are for ALL of these concepts. They should have clear names and should be overloaded only if the terms can only appear in different contexts.
If you find this challenging, don't go ahead with this re-branding until we figure everything out.

Names:
1) What was formerly known as BitShares, the awesome innovation that is the distributed-prediction-market-based polymorphic digital asset exchange
2) The core asset in the original BitShares chain, formerly BTS
3) The whole system of prediction-market-based exchanges
4) An arbitrary new instance of (1), which is a part of (3)
5) An arbitrary new core asset, the core asset of a (4)
6) An invictus-endorsed crypto-equity (the NEW BitShares)

(my answers after my moment of clarity are: 1) BEX for the concept as a whole, BEXCurrency for the root chain 2) BEX 3) BEX 4) BEX***, BEXchain 5) BEX***Share 6) BitShares )
(second point of confusion: do non-primary chains have *separate* base units, like BEXStockShares? or do BEX aka BitShares1.0 units get transferred into the new chain?)

And, on top of that naming challenge, a question: Could there possibly be a DAC you release whose equity you do NOT call a BitShare? If so, give an example; if not, acknowledge that "BitShares" is essentially the new name for "I3 DAC".

Put another way: bitshares are a sub-thing of i3 DACs. What kinds of DACs might you make that aren't a sub-thing of bitshares?

This is important too

Keyhotee is not a DAC

I understand. I'm asking, is there anything that would be a DAC, but would not be a BitShare, under the new scheme.

It is already getting a lot of attention and it has a nice parallelism with Bitcoin, which in the public mind has become virtually synonymous with the crypto-currency ecosystem, including all its altcoins.  We hope that BitShares will serve a similar function for the crypto-equity domain.
This is for one very simple reason:  bit-shares is the perfect parallel to bit-coin for communicating the duality (and differences) and between crypto-equities and crypto-currencies.  No other name would do for that purpose.

But "bitcoin" doesn't mean "cryptocurrency"! Nobody says "litecoin and peercoin are two examples of bitcoins".
You are making the analogy to bitcoin LESS applicable. bitcoin:currency::bitshares:equity worked better for the OLD definition. You can't own a bitshare anymore, for example.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:37:01 am by toast »

Offline bytemaster

Put another way: bitshares are a sub-thing of i3 DACs. What kinds of DACs might you make that aren't a sub-thing of bitshares?

This is important too

Keyhotee is not a DAC
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile

This is important too

Offline toast

• View Profile
But by those two criteria, AGS would not be a subclass of bitshares.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Ok two more questions:

What's the new "short name" the thing Dan is currently working on? BEX?

As per my previous post, where do you draw the line between crypto-equity that counts as bitshares? BitShares Litecoin is crypto-equity in the litecoin currency DAC!

Again, my proposed criteria: honoring pts/ags, and cross-chain trading with other bitshares (base case being BEX)

Those two criteria certainly make a good start! 
It also has to be endorsable, i.e. compatible with our core principles. 
I don't think BitShares SlaveTrader would fly...   :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
Ok two more questions:

What's the new "short name" the thing Dan is currently working on? BEX?

As per my previous post, where do you draw the line between crypto-equity that counts as bitshares? BitShares Litecoin is crypto-equity in the litecoin currency DAC!

Again, my proposed criteria: honoring pts/ags, and cross-chain trading with other bitshares (base case being BEX)

bitbro

Alright that's a bit more clear, but I'm still concerned about overloading the "BitShares" term. I think you should take some care to establish what sorts of crypto-equities should fall under the "BitShares" umbrella and which shouldn't.

My opinion is that BitShares should only apply to cryptoequity in systems that behave "close enough" to how BitShares BEX does.

Perhaps a good criterion is if the system 1) honors AGS and PTS and 2) implements cross-chain trading with existing BitShares chains. Then DomainShares and possibly ProtoShares (with a soft fork) could be called BTS DNS and BTS PTS, but angelshares shouldn't be called BTS AGS.

Basically imagine how many times you'll have to reply to someone who says "WTB BTS AGS for BTS BEX" with, "actually, BTS AGS is not part of the BitShares chain groups and is not a tradeable. Read more about how all the different BTS DACs behave here"

You wouldn't say the Apple MacBook Pro, just like you won't say BitShares Protoshares.  In conversation, names adopt the appropriate length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk