Author Topic: $5000 Bounty - Momentum Proof-of-Work Hacking [PAID]  (Read 54069 times)

Offline bytemaster

I am looking for algorithmic weaknesses in the Momentum Proof of Work: http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=21.msg24#msg24 

If you can identify an alternative algorithm for solving the proof of work that does not require the target RAM and yet is able to find hashes at a rate greater than  MomentumAlgoHashRate / (TARGET_RAM_USE/ALT_RAM_USE)  then you could win this bounty.

For example:  Suppose momentum as specked requires about 1 GB of RAM for maximum performance and produces hashes at 1hz.   If you design an algorithm that only requires 1 MB of RAM and can find hashes at .001 hz then you win because you will have proven that computational complexity is linear with RAM use rather than non-linear like I believe the problem calls for.   
      I paid out a tip for showing this property doesn't quite hold as I thought, but this was more a weakness in my devising an effective / objective measure for determining whether or not momentum is "broken' or 'hacked'. 

My original phrasing of this bounty on Bitcoin talk was:

One goal is to produce an implementation of this proof of work system that negates the algorithmic advantage given to the use of memory and allows much faster solutions.  If you are able to convince me this proof-of-work is no better than Scrypt then you will win the 30 btc bounty.   The objective proof that someone has convinced me will be whether or not I use momentum for BitShares.  I have far more on the line for choosing a bad proof of work than not paying this out.

At the time of the original post 30 BTC was $5000... so I will keep it at $5000.   

Note:  Now that protoshares has been launched based upon Momentum the bounty is much higher if you can implement it and gain a massive mining advantage and then sell the resulting ProtoShares.   Then after you have earned enough profit that way you can share your approach with the community to get another $5000.

Variables I reserve the right to change while still calling it momentum:
  • BirthdayHash Function.
  • Nonce Search Space.
  • Target Memory Usage.

Best of luck to you all!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:00:56 am by bytemaster »
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.