Author Topic: BitShares first year history book  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Tyke

• View Profile
OK thank you for your response :)

If I were to recommend a purchase, the book about Dogecoin is my best book so far.

Offline onceuponatime

Please could members of the community help fund this project.  I am keen to write a professional, intriguing and factual history of the first year of BitShares. 

BTS: 65fa173e23ef419a
BTC: 1CRLy4xUZbh9rj2GPANiNNBZGZKRKLYYwJ

These donations will be put towards paper, ink, maintenance costs, overheads, cover designers (the front cover above is only preliminary) and proof readers. 

Please refer to books I have previously published on Amazon including Peercoin and Dogecoin.

Christopher P Thompson

Links?

Would you like the links to my previously published books?

Well, that's what I was thinking. But then I did see titles which you are selling on Amazon. I don't know how to  judge the quality without buying them.

If you are seriously looking for financial backing, it might be more practical if your proposal were to include projected sales, gross and net income etc for a BitShares book. Some historical data from your previous book publishing, as illustrative of the profit potential, would also be helpful. An explanation as to why you would not be self-funded from the income of  previous work already on Amazon would clarify your position.

If it is not a business proposition, then the lack of any historical involvement by you with our BitShares community would preclude me personally from wanting to fund your project. I doubt that you would get a worker proposal voted in to fund you since even  some developmental work is currently going without.

Once suggestion is that you could write the first chapter and then post it at steemit.com. If it is well received, you might get enough votes to give you funding for producing further chapters. And so on.

Well written original work can be highly rewarded at steemit,com
Give it a try.

Offline Tyke

• View Profile
Please could members of the community help fund this project.  I am keen to write a professional, intriguing and factual history of the first year of BitShares. 

These donations will be put towards paper, ink, maintenance costs, overheads, cover designers (the front cover above is only preliminary) and proof readers. 

Please refer to books I have previously published on Amazon including Peercoin and Dogecoin.

Christopher P Thompson

Links?

Would you like the links to my previously published books?

Offline onceuponatime

Christopher P Thompson

Links?

Offline Tyke

• View Profile

Christopher P Thompson
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:11:00 pm by Tyke »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
My first post...

The first week since the launch of ProtoShares is in the history books and we already seem to have a robust, for-profit multi-enterprise ecosystem developing.  Here are some of the Key Historical Events and “Firsts" we noted.  What other history making events would you include in this time line?

Invictus Incorporated July 4th, 2013

CCC Announcement.  Oct 5, 2013 -  Invictus first mining opportunity is targeted for "Early November”.

ProtoShares Unveiled. Oct 19, 2013 - Invictus Newsletter 01 introduces ProtoShares as the precursor to BitShares (and many future DACs).

Forum goes live.  Nov 3, 2013 - at bitsharestalk.org

First ProtoShares miner/wallet.  November 4, 2013 - Near final source code for inspection.  This code is independently produced and maintained by bitsharestalk user FreeTrade, in response to a bounty to modify the standard Bitcoin release to incorporate the Momentum proof of work.   It became the official launch baseline against which future improvements are measured.

Launch Alert!  Nov 4, 12:14 AM EST - Newsletter #2 announces that release is imminent - watch the forum!

Launch of Genesis Block.  Nov 5, 08:08:08 GMT -  Invictus actually released miners to everyone in the hour leading up to this intended time when someone grabbed our final test code and started mining a bit early.

First Known Trade.  Nov 5 - super3 sells 2.5 PTS at 0.01 BTC/PTS to paimike@bitcointalk for total of 0.25 BTC.

First OTC Exchange. Nov 6 - Lighthouse founds the first formal for-profit PTS forum exchange and escrow service. Providing liquidity with a formal buy-sell spread - begins at 0.002 buy and 0.004 sell.

First Suspected Scam. Nov 6 - posted by carisma

First Mining Pools
      Nov 7, profoot announces PTS pool.
      Nov 8, xolokram announces Beeeer - the first for-profit ProtoShares mining pool!
      Nov 9, Invictus begins testing alpha pool with new miner as a competitive performance edge. 

First Automated Exchange.  Nov 9 - Silfax announces on-line exchange for trading Protoshares and Bitcoin.

First Emergency Fork. Nov 10, 06:15:07 AM EST - Hopefully also the last.  Invictus announces the need for a chain fork to move block rate from 15 seconds back in the direction of the nominal 5 minute specification. (The amount of hash power backing the network caused an unplanned acceleration of the intended mining production integral by 2 or 3 months.)

First Competing Miner - Nov 11 jh00 asserts its custom miner has 5x improvement over Invictus miners… game on!

$1 Million Market Cap.  Nov 11 - FreeTrade and donschoe independently document informal estimates ProtoShares' Market Cap has exceeded $1 million for the first time. 

First Denial of Service Attack - Nov 12 -  Took down Bytemaster's pool for a few hours.

Other firsts?

Fastest crypto-asset to reach critical mass in history?

First coin to launch with TOO MUCH hash power?

….

Let us know what we missed!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Tyke

• View Profile
I have two questions:

What was this forum called initially?

When/where was the BitShares project first announced online?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:58:48 pm by Tyke »

Offline Tyke

• View Profile
let me know if i can be of assistance on book cover design..

please submit some designs :)

I would prefer the design to be similar to all the other books in the series.

Offline Thom

Call it what you will Stan it's just semantics; it amounts to the same thing in terms of the impact it had on my ability to keep up. That's why it's far easier to write about what happened than about what BitShares IS. Not that the historical view is easy, but at least it's easier to determine.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

I all but gave up on writing this book when BitShares 2.0 was announced. Then I thought to undertake something similar to your historical approach to salvage the 30 pages I had already written and morphed it into the "Saga" series.

I have come to realize however the scope of what I had in mind was going to require far more time to accomplish and I became overwhelmed by it. 

I think an historical book is definitely a viable approach if you limit the scope and depth of your research. I may revisit the project but I have lost the desire atm. It's extremely difficult to write about BitShares in a current context as that changes so rapidly things become outdated and irrelevant quickly.

I do wish you the best of luck in pursuing your book tho. BitShares is an awesome project with great depth to write about.

Plot twists.
Not rapid changes.
Plot twists!

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Thom

I all but gave up on writing this book when BitShares 2.0 was announced. Then I thought to undertake something similar to your historical approach to salvage the 30 pages I had already written and morphed it into the "Saga" series.

I have come to realize however the scope of what I had in mind was going to require far more time to accomplish and I became overwhelmed by it. 

I think an historical book is definitely a viable approach if you limit the scope and depth of your research. I may revisit the project but I have lost the desire atm. It's extremely difficult to write about BitShares in a current context as that changes so rapidly things become outdated and irrelevant quickly.

I do wish you the best of luck in pursuing your book tho. BitShares is an awesome project with great depth to write about.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
let me know if i can be of assistance on book cover design..
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Please could someone verify that this link was the initial announcement of the coin on Bitcointalk:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325261.0

Yes, this is was initial ProtoShares announcement.

Also please look here: https://docs.bitshares.org/bitshares/history.html

I later wrote a more complete history of the first two years here:  The Origin of BitShares

Offline mint chocolate chip

Bitsharesblog.com covered many of the events during that time and might be a useful resource as well.

Offline Tyke

• View Profile
Thank you.

I have lots of reading ahead of me  :P