Author Topic: [ANN] BlockPay -Your favorite store can now accept any crypto thanx to Bitshares  (Read 99723 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
If YOU are asking such questions it only goes to show how poor we are at marketing and planing (...)
He just asked what's that smell. I think that's why he is the biggest proxy.

This is what STEALTH can do *TODAY*:
http://docs.bitshares.eu/bitshares/tutorials/confidential-transactions.html

It's all a mature of web-ui which has also been worked on by JamesCalfee in the stealth-wallet branch: https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene-ui/tree/650-stealth-wallet
All that was need for that to be usable was the deployment of the hosted-wallet branch of graphene-ui: https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene-ui/tree/server_backups

All I was asking for is a SPEC on what they are actually working on right now, given that STEALTH is already (kind of) available. I hear ken through around terms like SNARK and trusted setup and just wonder why not setup the current STEALTH first before introducing a new extended STEALTH ..

That's what confuses me

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
If YOU are asking such questions it only goes to show how poor we are at marketing and planing (...)
He just asked what's that smell. I think that's why he is the biggest proxy.

Offline konelectric

I also think we should be tapping into those of us in this community that have direct experience in marketing like SolarsNsense, Mr. Wang and VirtualGrowth.

I mentioned this to @MrWang on steemit. I think if we have a Spokesperson to replace @bitmarket  (Max Wright, Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101). And having people like @MarketingMonk (chris-coney), @JonnyBitcoin, @fav, and many others doing  tutorials. We might have something here.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:16:36 pm by konelectric »
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline Thom

I still dont actually understand what the term STEALTH now referrs to (besides being an FBA) ... i had the impression the tech was fully inpmemented and even a GUI available 12 montgs ago but the infrastructure for 'hosted wallets' was the only missing part ... what has changed? Whats the new STEALTH now?

If YOU are asking such questions it only goes to show how poor we are at marketing and planing, AND that despite all the detail in @kenCode's reports, we still don't have a roadmap that allows shareholders to correlate all of ken's report details into the higher level roadmap / schedule. THIS is the very reason I'm bringing up the topic of marketing. We need to get better at it and recognize our skills in marketing need help.

We should also be cautious and not reveal too much to the public that shoots ourselves in the foot or gives the competition an advantage. Kencode appears to be doing a great job at managing a large workload of several projects, not only stealth, but it almost feels like an endless war on terrorism with frequent reports on this battle or that, and no bigger context for how those battles impact the overall war effort. When will the war be over? What are we fighting for?

I am all for giving @kenCode a great deal of latitude (he's earned it!) and I don't want to heap undue pressure on him or rush him. Some people don't work well under pressure, others thrive on it. We all just need to recognize success will come easier if we can learn to work together and not think of ourselves as an isolated individual responsible for a specific contribution.

As those of us who have evolved with the advent of disruptive technologies now know, trying to maintain a tight grip on things, whether it be through IP, patents & copyrights, or through a powerful group of elite "leaders" that centralize power, is counterproductive and less secure than decentralized, cooperative sharing is.   

I also think we should be tapping into those of us in this community that have direct experience in marketing like SolarsNsense, Mr. Wang and VirtualGrowth.

This community has been burned so badly before by marketing execs (Brian Page) & their decisions people are being over protective / overly conservative about engaging professional help, and yet we need help with marketing so badly on this project.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:53:08 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline konelectric

I still dont actually understand what the term STEALTH now referrs to (besides being an FBA) ... i had the impression the tech was fully inpmemented and even a GUI available 12 montgs ago but the infrastructure for 'hosted wallets' was the only missing part ... what has changed? Whats the new STEALTH now?
+5% Me too.
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline chamber

• View Profile
Just want to say that I appreciate the details you post Ken.  The progress you and your team have made (and will make) is exciting, and I'm glad that you keep us external observers in the loop. 

Offline Thom

I agree, no reason to limit discussion. Besides, my thoughts here were more to the point regarding stealth marketing.

It seems there's a different opinion of what constitutes "vaporware" and how to market products. I don't see the stealth feature as vaporware, there are resources and progress and actual software in the process of being produced, and using some of that to begin to build awareness in the market a few months prior to release rather than starting when it's released not only stretches the time to achieve market penetration but IMO increases the risk of success.

As to "who are these marketing people?" I have no specific group in mind. I think trying to get professional marketers involved at the 11th hour won't be as easy or as effective than if you started educating them as the product matures. I'm not saying we need to give away all our secrets, holding some information back may have a definite advantage. This is where marketing experience is very valuable, but it's of no value if they aren't involved.

Very few of us here have stellar track records as marketers. Marketing has always been a weakness in this project. We all have opinions and we all want BitShares to be successful. Rather than censor or stifle discussion, how about lets try to be open to it and explore our options.

We discussed this in the Mumble, so I don't know why you are bringing it up again now.
Regardless of the context of this thread or anyone in it, just as a PSA I think it is VERY important to post/display information in clear terms here on the forums, in a manner that is easy for new-users doing their research to search/query for :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:08:43 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
We discussed this in the Mumble, so I don't know why you are bringing it up again now.
Regardless of the context of this thread or anyone in it, just as a PSA I think it is VERY important to post/display information in clear terms here on the forums, in a manner that is easy for new-users doing their research to search/query for :)

JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline onceuponatime

@kenCode,

"I'm trying to give the marketing people some substance so they can at least start to plan a marketing approach."

And just who might these "marketing people" be?

When STEALTH has been tested on the testnet and proven to work, that is when marketing is called for, not before. What is the point of paying to bring eyeballs to something that isn't out yet? When there is no action for them to take? And which may prove to not work yet?

Ronny tried to get me to start advertising STEALTH many many months ago when I was the sole token holder. I told him that I am philosophically opposed to advertising vaporware to the public (or to anyone other than early venture capitalist investors who are ready to invest in ideas before there is working software).

Bitshares Munich and I, between us holding a large majority of STEALTH tokens, are in agreement that the project is unfolding as it should and can. Tell these "marketing people"  that you mentioned, whoever they may be, to start advertising the features that bitshares already has and which have been operational for ages. Where has this marketing of theirs been until now?

Offline Thom

@kenCode, take a chill pill man. I agree there's no reason to rush and botch the implementation to meet some arbitrary deadline. We also need to be cautious about what we say prior to release. Not sure why you responded in such a defensive manor, everybody including myself think you're doing a great job. All I'm saying is please give us a ballpark roadmap on the completion dates for various goals to be achieved along the way, so we don't have to serialize marketing with development. They need to be coordinated, and that obviously hasn't happened yet.

The idea of waiting for every single little aspect of stealth to be ready AND tested BEFORE we begin to market is IMO a big mistake. Software is never perfect, there are always tweaks to do. You said it yourself, stealth has been many months in the making, so we need to start thinking about who and how we will market it. Dash says target audience is grandma, so do you.

Fuzzy mentioned there may be a test version coming out for the testnet as early as 3 weeks. Can you confirm that? If not can you estimate when such a test version might first appear on the testnet?

I'm trying to give the marketing people some substance so they can at least start to plan a marketing approach.

Thx

Let's not let this opportunity slip away!

Well duh.

We're just now starting to test transactions and create the first API. Remember how many months it has taken us just to write all the crypto? Remember the months it has taken us on the "trustless setup" algo? Remember the months it has taken us to develop the C-IPFS implementation for the automated Stealth backups?

In a few months when Stealth has been thoroughly tested by us, AND all of the components above, AND by the public, then we can think about advertising. Until that time, guess what? Like we used to say in the military, hurry up and wait. I'm not going to rush Stealth at all. At, all.

If you want me to stop posting weekly updates on our progress so that you feel better, I will.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Well duh.

We're just now starting to test transactions and create the first API. Remember how many months it has taken us just to write all the crypto? Remember the months it has taken us on the "trustless setup" algo? Remember the months it has taken us to develop the C-IPFS implementation for the automated Stealth backups?

In a few months when Stealth has been thoroughly tested by us, AND all of the components above, AND by the public, then we can think about advertising. Until that time, guess what? Like we used to say in the military, hurry up and wait. I'm not going to rush Stealth at all. At, all.

If you want me to stop posting weekly updates on our progress so that you feel better, I will.

While we do not want you to rush something out... the mention of this being months away is concerning.  How many months? 1-3, 3-6, 9-12?

This information is important because if it is the latter, I believe there is a high probability that you will need to come back to the market and raise funds via blockpay dilution.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

Well duh.

kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
We need to start coordinating stealth development with marketing NOW, to build anticipation and capitalize on the demand for stealth in the marketplace.

+5% Nicely said Thom
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Thom

Guys!

As the stealth feature development approaches completion (@kenCode, we need to get as close an estimate as possible on the ETA for stealth),
we need to have our marketing approach thought out and started, so we build anticipation in the market that peaks when the feature becomes available.

@kenCode, you provide lots of detail in your updates, but in order to create a marketing plan and begin executing it we need to have:

1) a stealth-specific roadmap (i.e. feature element schedule) of milestones that marketing can use to create a marketing plan that coincides with it

2) screenshots, docs / design elements / use cases and other "bits" for the stealth design for which videos and marketing materials can be produced

We need to start coordinating stealth development with marketing NOW, to build anticipation and capitalize on the demand for stealth in the marketplace.