Author Topic: The case for bitGOLD and bitSILVER  (Read 10547 times)

Offline yvv

• View Profile
It's like adding a transaction fee.  Or in our case maybe it was more like shifting a fee from one party to another.  Of course some will not like that, but it's not the end of the world.  I don't see any reason to make such a big deal and continuously carry on about it.  Especially since periodic tweaks are needed...and the community decided on this.  Can't you accept that and give it a rest already?

Yeah, banks always change fees and interest rates and fraction of reserve, and nobody says that bank account is not backed by anything. My understanding is that committee  moved bitCNY settlement because Chinese community wants a tighter peg to CNY. What is wrong with this?

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
Yes... until the committee decides that they're not. Like they did with bitCNY.
don't be unfair to the committee, please. It has been voted for by shareholders.

I don't mean to be unfair.

Fact is, the committee alone has the power to make such changes. With the power comes responsibility.

Settlement of CNY has been moved from 100% to 99%.

It is still backed by BTS collateral. Just one parameter was tweaked. I don't see a problem here.

Well... suppose you had a number of DGX tokens that are redeemable for 1 ounce of solid gold. Some day digix.io comes along and says "Oh, btw, from now on your tokens will be redeemable for 0.99 ounces of solid gold."
Would you also call that "just a parameter tweaked"?

It's like adding a transaction fee.  Or in our case maybe it was more like shifting a fee from one party to another.  Of course some will not like that, but it's not the end of the world.  I don't see any reason to make such a big deal and continuously carry on about it.  Especially since periodic tweaks are needed...and the community decided on this.  Can't you accept that and give it a rest already?

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Well... suppose you had a number of DGX tokens that are redeemable for 1 ounce of solid gold. Some day digix.io comes along and says "Oh, btw, from now on your tokens will be redeemable for 0.99 ounces of solid gold."

BitGold is not like DGX token, there is a big difference between them. DGX is an IOU, bitGold is not. It is an index following ETF. You should realize that its market price vs gold may vary by design. And of course tweaking it to stimulate shorting is absolutely legit.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
don't be unfair to the committee, please. It has been voted for by shareholders.

I don't mean to be unfair.

Fact is, the committee alone has the power to make such changes. With the power comes responsibility.

It is still backed by BTS collateral. Just one parameter was tweaked. I don't see a problem here.

Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline yvv

• View Profile
What happened with bitCNY? I don't see anything different from other bitassets.
https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/blob/master/bsip-0016.md

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/blob/master/bsip-0016.md

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Yup. It's really unfortunate that bitGOLD and bitSILVER are backed by empty promises, too. They could've been a real success..

No, they are not. They are backed by 1 once of gold and silver worth of BTS.

chryspano

Yup. It's really unfortunate that bitGOLD and bitSILVER are backed by empty promises, too. They could've been a real success..

You have a point but still it's better than the "real asset" backing joke.

Offline pc

• View Profile

Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline bitsharesbrazil

• View Profile
I really dont like system like dgx tether...... Its more the same that will lead to fraud n scams

Its is unfair to call bitgold is backed by promisses....its  strongly backed by a pretty good asset in crypto world, n the best thing  in a decentrilized way.

Like ivy said.....if tweak is needed lets do it.....but bitassets concept as a whole is the best that crypto space ever created to decentrilize n guarantee what you own......
bitcointalk ANN https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1084460.0
chat, post, promote it!!!!!!!! Stan help to improve OP!

Offline yvv

• View Profile
it is considerably different to own a gold etf, backed by empty promises, and which may or may not be redeemed for fiat at a time of your choosing, and owning a "gold etf-token" in the blockchain .. which, provided there is enough liquidity, traders can always get rid of, or acquire, at will.

No, they are not. They are backed by 1 once of gold and silver worth of BTS. There is one advantage of bitGold/Silver over tokens backed by physical gold/silver: anybody can issue them easily on  blockchain, just put BTS collateral in, no audit required. You can't do this as easily with DGX token, since a trusted party needs to buy and store a proven reserve of physical gold.

Offline yvv

• View Profile
I would invest into bitGold,Silver market making pool with my pleasure if it is done the right way.

What is 'the right way' ?

First off all the pool has to be transparent. Funds allocations and statistics have to be public. This is a job of fund manager. And dividends have to be attractive.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:42:19 pm by yvv »

Offline pc

• View Profile
it is considerably different to own a gold etf, backed by empty promises, and which may or may not be redeemed for fiat at a time of your choosing, and owning a "gold etf-token" in the blockchain .. which, provided there is enough liquidity, traders can always get rid of, or acquire, at will.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I would invest into bitGold,Silver market making pool with my pleasure if it is done the right way.

What is 'the right way' ?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline yvv

• View Profile