Author Topic: [BOUNTY] $1000USD - Help Create the Distributed Printerbot DAC WhitePaper  (Read 6448 times)

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
For simplicity we're starting with single purpose machines, once all the basics have been designed we'll work on combining them.  The idea also is to make them modular and stackable so expansion or scaling is easy.

Regarding design bids, thats on the market side and I think it will likely be more of a catalog experience rather than bids.  I think there will be custom options and designers will do work for specific people who want their work but the norm will be picking from an enormous catalog of designs already created by designers.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
Extend your economic control volume a bit, maybe?

Multiple products per manufacturing source.  Mfg source at place of business.  Design bid distributed to multiple graphic artists / organizations?
You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.

PWR UP: MAXVTEoYhDfWJjvkNm2ZmUhHpYbsPYuybg

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Check this out http://www.cubespawn.com/

Yep, I first met James Jones (the primary behind Cubespawn) two years ago when I was first designing DMS.  We've been talking about making this the first application built on Cubespawn, he's preparing a quote for me now.

Offline fuzzy

We are using DAC in different ways.  I am using DAC as Distributed Autonomous Consensus in the sense of that paper I wrote, which is a way to essentially sequester money that can only make the outcome or reality the consensus is trying to achieve gets dragged into reality to be rewarded.

Also unlike a vending machine, prices fluctuate based on market valuations.

A vending machine is a  Centralized  Autonomous Company and many of the ideas presented by Mike Hearn that rely on automation, artificial intelligence, and the like are really just more advanced vending machines.   

A DAC coordinates HUMAN effort to achieve results beyond what even the most sophisticated vending machine (Autonomous Taxies, Fully Automated Pizza Delivery, etc) can do.   

I am not implying that your 3D printer DAC is or isn't a mere vending machine.  I am just suggesting that many people need to understand this difference before they can design a DAC or propose solutions.

Very good point and one that we should all keep in the back of our minds.  But these services could, theoretically, be attached to a DAC that serves as the underlying market mechanism, design database, and transaction ledger correct? 

If this were the case, it would serve a similar utility to google images, app store or youtube with regard to its deriving value from user-created content and sharing..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:18:16 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bytemaster

We are using DAC in different ways.  I am using DAC as Distributed Autonomous Consensus in the sense of that paper I wrote, which is a way to essentially sequester money that can only make the outcome or reality the consensus is trying to achieve gets dragged into reality to be rewarded.

A vending machine is a  Centralized  Autonomous Company and many of the ideas presented by Mike Hearn that rely on automation, artificial intelligence, and the like are really just more advanced vending machines.   

A DAC coordinates HUMAN effort to achieve results beyond what even the most sophisticated vending machine (Autonomous Taxies, Fully Automated Pizza Delivery, etc) can do.   

I am not implying that your 3D printer DAC is or isn't a mere vending machine.  I am just suggesting that many people need to understand this difference before they can design a DAC or propose solutions.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I think I need to write an article titled something along the lines... "DACs vs Vending Machines"

Can *you* tell the difference?

This might be a good idea, I usually resort to that metaphor when I try to explain to people the concept of DACs. You're a good writer and speaker, but if you team up with someone to help make what you write more accessible, and perhaps a video/graphical artist, you could both get something published in a huge news outlet, and have a video reach hundreds of thousands of views.

Recent Keiser report has him screaming "2nd gen crypto," "capitalism 2.0" etc. Invictus stands for a huge idea and I think popularization can be one of the best ways to communicate this. The people on this forum are able to glimmer some of the consequences of this technology, but for the outside world the potential for transformation  and the benefits must be explicitly sold.

"better than gold"
"replacing banks"
"replacing wall-street"

What's so good about replacing gold? Banks? Wall-street?

Why should I care about what you are doing,
and why do you care so deeply? #values

Offline fuzzy

You've definitely found a niche...

I don't know about you guys, but the BlockChain makes me so happy, especially reading this stuff. 

Offline bytemaster

I think I need to write an article titled something along the lines... "DACs vs Vending Machines"

Can *you* tell the difference?
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!

I'm talking about cups because I don't want to keep naming different types of packaging, and the hot cup market has particularly high minimums for custom prints (250,000).  Ultimately this technology will apply to bags, wraps, boxes, everything.

The DAC's monetization is operating a market for services between groups that have not been able to conduct commerce on this scale before (Artists, Venues and Advertisers) in a market that historically has been almost entirely unserved.  The fundraiser that initiates the DAC will generate the initial money supply of tokens that will be the token of reference that operates the market and basically can buy you targeted advertising space on packaging in real time with this coin.

On the platform, Artists essentially create art that fits into the defined printable areas of various specifications and products.  They sell their work/collections either outright or per piece printed, Custom or as-you-will, exclusively or to all comers, whatever model they want to follow.   

Venues have pieces of packaging that now have the ability to have a design that differs per piece for no meaningful additional cost.  For some this will be an opportunity to turn a cost (cups, which you have to buy) into a profit center (cost-per-cup advertising), while others will take the opportunity to make their cups a differentiating factor with awesome unique art or something cultural and iconic from a respected name, the opportunity is there not just to have a really cool print but to have an ever morphing plethora of them for the same price as not doing that.   These venues will pay artists for their work as described previously.

And advertisers advertise.  They have message they're trying to reach with eyeballs, and this platform gives them access to some interesting and extremely local, yet anonymous data.   Individual venues can be selected to advertise with during certain hours of the day to certain types of customers, say only Latte Drinkers on Tuesdays at the coffee shop on the corner of main and 3rd.   Only men drinking beer at sports bars in minneapolis for four hours after the football game.   This is possible because the initial bootstrapping phase basically uses the receipt feed as a guide with pre-set line-items as triggers.

Take a look at this diagram.  What I want to build is what should be the last step, a custom printed bag that details the contents of the custom ordered burger.  Who it's for, when it was ordered, what the specific allergens and health information is etc.

-------------------------------
I envision several different types of users

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoPQ9D7Ob3GDdDhucWRCOUVCbmUtY0NpdDNCVzV1R2c&usp=sharing
A "Venue" like a nightclub that goes through enough stock to warrant owning one or multiple machines to meet their needs.   This user goes from paying $20,000+ for 250,000 cups of a single size with a single design that they have to pay for in advance and store until they've used them all, to paying $5,000 for the machine, buying bulk stock (plain, unprinted) cups at any supply store by the case (500-1,000) as needed, in the sizes you want and printing as many designs as neccesary, not to mention the new market features mentioned above.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoPQ9D7Ob3GDdE5PVXdLZXZzV2MwczMzY2xxZGM2RkE&usp=sharing
This is our prototypical speculative startup scenario - We assume all orders must be delivered, and the volume for the average customer will overwhelm the "Misc Costs" like Ink, electricity.  In this one, we assume there is a small delivery fee and that deliveries are made daily to customers in a geographically small area.  We also assume that larger orders will garner free delivery, but I've only represented that as a percentage of total business where the fee is waived.  We can assume this user will have higher costs due to small volume purchasing, and that they will have a moderate sell price.

Also note: Delivery fee could simply be built into the per sleeve cost, so long as volume allows.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoPQ9D7Ob3GDdEF5cGdRQkI3dzlYX0hRRHFtbVVNMWc&usp=sharing

A "Minufacturist", basically a one man business with bootstrapping costs below $10,000.  This type of user takes local venues who don't want to buy their own machine as clients and pre-prints their packaging daily to weekly.  This is a market that doesn't exist right now, so prices even 2x the market would be accepted by businesses looking to differentiate, that is not however required and this chart demonstrates the  prices can be very competitive to the market rate even with this value add.    Minufacturists do not exist yet, I registered the domain a year or two ago with the intent of centering development of that initial community there.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoPQ9D7Ob3GDdEpERmQxdHBIS19YWHVSQldmZEVSWUE&usp=sharing

Sysco is one of the biggest players in packaging and restaurant supply, a multi-billion dollar company.  This technology would represent a chance for Sysco to offer a class of margin-heavy value-add services to a larger market than they currently offer it to, and because it's an entirely new market there is no cannibalization of their other business.  This is a rare industry wide win-win situation.   These companies have local and regional offices, distribution infrastructions and local sales organizations.  They'd start out as a pilot program in a couple of small offices, buying a few machines and offering low volume (as few as a quarter sleeve of 25) custom print items at 150% of the cost of unprinted cups to be delivered with their normal order. 

Buying 250,000 custom cups in the current paradigm,  gets you cups at a 15-50% premium depending on the print, timeframe (do you want that in 10 weeks or 6?) etc.  This solution will be able to deliver it on a per piece basis for just slightly higher, with no minimums or lead time.  This was the most underserved customer I came across in five years of selling environmentally friendly foodservice packaging, successful establishments who were big enough to want to grow and build their brand but too small to make a minimum order.    It will be popular.   It will also be wildly profitable for existing distribution companies which already have the complete sales and distribution infrastructure to integrate this into their offering with a customer facing website and a couple machines in each local warehouse.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoPQ9D7Ob3GDdFBuRVZEc3dQczgwQUxCMlUtMC1XOUE&usp=sharing
While all the other use-cases talk about b2b, a Party store is a B2C.    The other type of customer who really had no good option was the mom, or the school or the wedding that wants a couple hundred items one time only.  Maybe a few times a year for fundraisers.   The party store is really a minufacturing center in disguise!  These  customers usually have very high budgets and low price sensitivity by packaging-world standards, they think in terms of dollars for their budget rather than cost per piece so this type of operation usually has no minimum order for on-demand production and costs in the dollar range per piece (about 4x "high" prices for similar)

And it's fun, but it takes time so it's work.       I've been talking with James Jones over at Cubespawn about making this project the first proof-of-concept developed on their Cubespawn modular manufacturing platform http://www.cubespawn.com/, he gave me a ballpark budget of 65-100k, I'm waiting for the proposal.

Offline fuzzy

Sorry I thought initially you were talking about 3D Printing Cups so I used that as the example.   

Sounds like you want to make it plug and play for individuals and/or businesses with larger scale 3D printers want to service local businesses in custom packaging of their product. If that is the case you and I, I think are thinking in similar realms...though I think your proposal fits well as an initial DAC that could later expand into other 3D-printed objects.  "Bring Production Home" could be a good marketing phrase ;)

Is the BlockChain Protocol going to be implemented into this distributed Custom-Packaging Business?

I realize that this is still too much in my head to ask someone else to describe quite yet, I think this bounty is more wishful thinking on my part for someone to do the work for me haha.     I will better articulate my needs once I have some time.

Let's not call it "work".  Making the world more inclusive is fun stuff..

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
The project in a nutshell is the application of modular low end 3d printing technology to the custom branding of packaging after the point of sale has taken place, or in small runs by a local minufacturer who would then service a number of local customers based on the output from one or several small machines.   

I realize that this is still too much in my head to ask someone else to describe quite yet, I think this bounty is more wishful thinking on my part for someone to do the work for me haha.     I will better articulate my needs once I have some time.

Offline fuzzy

This is an old post of mine that didn't get too much response, but seems pertinent to this discussion so I hope everyone is ok with me posting the link.  https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=836.0

This concept, Adam, seems very similar to the one you are proposing--though yours seems as though it is only for custom-printed cups (if I read that all correctly, that is). 

After some thought and a bit of time between posts on this concept, I would like to elaborate further (this is not going to be in the format of a whitepaper--yet).  It seems like the proposal would be a DAC within the 3D-printing DAC, wherein the Cups are 3D-Printed using cup models from any number of models submitted. 

Designing/Selling Models
Designers can model and post these along with the price for each use of their submitted model:
For instance, Bob submits his model and prices the uses individually @.25 mBits each, he also has increasingly lower prices set for progressively larger orders (.2 mBits @ 10-99 uses, .15 @ 100-499 uses, .14 @ 500-999 uses, .13 mBit @ 1000-9999 uses)
Tom also submits his model.  His prices are as follows: @.50 mBit each, .45 mBit @ 10-99 uses, .35 mBit @ 100-499 uses, .25 @ 500-999 uses, .125 mBit @ 1000-9999 uses)
*Note*  mBits would likely actually be xferred to the DAC's own "currency", mined into existence through the p2p network's processing of transactions.

User Interface/Purchases
Using the Blockchain data, coded utilities can analyze purchases over time.  Metrics for the most popular cup models would be provided to potential customers through a pleasant browser/POS interface along with various filtering options (dimensions, cost, trending models, historically popular models, famous designers...etc).  A search feature could also be included...along with potential for detailed product descriptions/reviews (also stored in the blockchain(s)).  To potential customers, this interface could look very similar to something like Amazon or Ebay.

3D-Printing
3D-Printing Businesses would then be incentivized to add the necessary infrastructure on their end to facilitate automated transactions through this and other 3D-printing DACs.  Numerous DACs pop up and with them numerous other 3D Printing Businesses. 

Copyright VS Trust
Designs may be copied/cloned, but there should be some kind of mechanism for the community to label the original creator when they find clones.  This would allow the reputation of the modeler/printing business dev team to become the ultimate form of currency and trusted blockchain networks would verify the time/date of original posting.  Many large 3D Printing businesses would likely eventually build their own DACs rather than depend on a 3rd party blockchain.  The processing of transactions would award shares in the DAC, the value of which would float on BitShares-type Exchanges against other similar DACs.  The Trust the DAC Devs, 3D Model Designers and Businesses are directly related to the price of the DACs.  Business relationships, then, will hinge on gaining trust from the market. 

Please feel free to alter this as you see fit, or inform me in the areas where I am mistaken so we can build upon it!  This is how progress is made, and it is precisely the innovation WE create as a community that will drive further innovation...and quite possibly MORE important, set the standard for those to come after us.  We together we can build industries that fight for the trust of their users in a free market an enhanced version of evolution of ideas through open sharing.  Please let us look at how we can make this work and post your invaluable opinions.

@ Adam, please let me know if I got this wrong anywhere.  I know your concept also spoke of custom designs/printing on the cups (or other designs), but that could be a layer on top of the 3D-Printing DACs and a secondary service offered by either 3rd parties Printing/Labeling Services.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:22:52 am by fuznuts »

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Could you elaborate a little? I don't have a full picture of what you're talking about from this post. Also the link to the current white paper doesn't lead to a white paper ( or is that where you want people to post contributions? ).

PS. Minufacturing.... play on words or typo?

The link to the whitepaper is the work product, the dropbox folder "see my earlier work" contains everything I've done so far.

And yes, Minufacturing is a play on words - It is explained in the documents and worksheets

This is an experiment to see if I can put out an idea with some value attach to it and have people be incentivized to understand the idea to at the least give me feedback.   I don't have time to work on non-bitcoin stuff myself, thus the bounty.