Author Topic: Why is ypool destroying PTS? (70% mined by ypool)  (Read 15689 times)

Offline JustHayden

• View Profile
Re: Why is ypool destroying PTS? (70% mined by ypool)
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 09:30:56 pm »
ypool can abuse it, which doesn't mean they are, but the fact that they are able to will drive the price down. We need to boycott ypool.
PTS: PjUAPsLu76Yi9516zFgHqtFYs2sBbAMwUx
Keyhotee: 7hQmwpf8ujy6h9jRkR7MPFqKNij3DrLifoDaemUUjaHLiUsy4g

Offline fishseeds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:23:58 pm »

You'll have higher variance in smaller pools; however (assuming that you have the same hashrate) on average, a lower fee pool should pay out more than a high fee pool.

be^5 is 2.5% vs ypool's 6%, and I'm planning to have all my machines pointed there for a long time, so I don't mind.  Plus, having that much hashing power at one node opens up the risk of a double spend attack :/  I think it would be neat if somebody could develop a standard p2pool-like distributed pool for current and future DACs.

When you say 'higher variance' do you mean the chance of finding a block or a higher value share increases?

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:16 pm »
Would moving to another pool reduce the payouts?

The only thing I dont like about Ypool is the 1 pts payout. But other than that I kind of like it. I dont mind checking out 1Gh or Beeeeer, but which one would be better? 1Gh seem to have a better interface
Quality of a visual web interface has never been an indication of how a pool performs, afaik..

The only thing I dont like about Ypool is the 1 pts payout. But other than that I kind of like it. I dont mind checking out 1Gh or Beeeeer, but which one would be better? 1Gh seem to have a better interface

You'll have higher variance in smaller pools; however (assuming that you have the same hashrate) on average, a lower fee pool should pay out more than a high fee pool.

be^5 is 2.5% vs ypool's 6%, and I'm planning to have all my machines pointed there for a long time, so I don't mind.  Plus, having that much hashing power at one node opens up the risk of a double spend attack :/  I think it would be neat if somebody could develop a standard p2pool-like distributed pool for current and future DACs.
Welcome to the dark side ;)
If I have helped you, please consider buying me a beer:
PTS: PZ6ZED8q1i7nQqnZiwFHdgLMELi3sgpnzL
BTC: 1CPF64k1AraWAUiDSh2QthRhbtJJznzRtw

Offline mav2000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:32:27 pm »

Cool thanks. I think I will finish of the 1 PTS I have pending at Ypool before moving. And I seriously didnt know about the 6% fee...

Offline pariah99

• I'm so meta even this acronym.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »

Offline Isaaaaah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:08:29 pm »
The ~6% poolfee at ypool dont bother you?
PZ13fD7vf6ebCVWp1geHTAjtiEHskv7Yo1 See you at MSC

Offline mav2000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 02:43:01 pm »

Offline Isaaaaah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:16 pm »
You can easily check on their site under stats > blocks found
When you choose to display the last 50 blocks found, the difference between the first and the last block shown should be at least 100

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:09:32 pm »
+1 :)

Warning about this since November.

But then again, having more than 50% does not mean they are abusing it. It only says they could.

All you miners out there, if you need a recommendation, beeeeer is such a lovely pool ;D
This this this. If just for the sweet IRC channel. 8)

I had no idea ypool were accounting for so much % of the network.. I knew that they were big sure, but I was thinking ~50%.. No wonder other pools are struggling.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:11:21 pm by r05 »
If I have helped you, please consider buying me a beer:
PTS: PZ6ZED8q1i7nQqnZiwFHdgLMELi3sgpnzL
BTC: 1CPF64k1AraWAUiDSh2QthRhbtJJznzRtw

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:07:49 pm »
+1 :)

Warning about this since November.

But then again, having more than 50% does not mean they are abusing it. It only says they could.

All you miners out there, if you need a recommendation, beeeeer is such a lovely pool ;D

Offline Isaaaaah

• View Profile
Why is ypool destroying PTS? (70% mined by ypool)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:17:47 pm »
According to http://ypool.net/pts/stats_blocks
over the last 71 Blocks (Block 42202 to 42131) 50 of them were mined by ypool which is 70%
This is far beyond the feared 51% attack...
This leads to other pools drying out and the network getting centralized around the ypool entity.
Which in turn makes them currently the owners of protoshares and this results in difficulty and price drops.
srsly folks. y are you doing that?

Too greedy to switch to http://ptsweb.beeeeer.org/
or http://pts.1gh.net ?

I assume there are alot of frustrated miners that missed the bitcoin boom, who dont give a damn about decentralization/I3 and just want easy and quick profitz profitz profitz.
Well congratulations. You are ruining your profitz yourself...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:26:21 pm by Isaaaaah »