Author Topic: Uptick in forum activity  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Thom

Would be great if there was a means of displaying the telegram chatter in the forum; maybe like a chat box or display panel or something similar, not official threads or posts but a way to display the activity on other channels for people who land on the forum

Not a bad idea. Some type of snapshot or brief "forum window" into Telegram perhaps.

Problem is the 2 apps differ on a very fundamental level, that being time. That's why I rarely use the (DEX or DEV) channel on Telegram, it is just way more traffic than I can keep up with. Often there is over 1000 posts since I looked at it the last time. I have to scroll a lot to get to the current activity. If I'm not interested in that it makes no sense to comment on something that took place an hour or more ago, those people might not even be logged in anymore.

Plus as has been said, Telegram provides no way to capture conversation history.

Telegram is fantastic however for issues / problems that need to be dealt with in real time. This is what brought it into use in the first place and why @spartaco created the interface between Telegram and the BitShares blockchain.

I'm just not much of a fan of "troll boxes" and fast moving or abbreviated twitter / SMS like chatter. I understand why that is appealing to younger people who have been immersed in that from an early age, but I'm old school and I tend to be on the TLDR end of the spectrum of communication.

When we shortcut and abbreviate our language meaning is lost and communication breaks down and misunderstandings increase. Effective communication takes longer when participating parties don't share the same base of knowledge, and the wider the audience the more likely that's the case. It is unreasonable to expect a fast "telepathy" level of conveying understanding of concepts from one mind to another using language as the medium by reducing the amount of time to conduct the transfer, especially when the audience is large.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:03:30 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline GChicken

• View Profile
Would be great if there was a means of displaying the telegram chatter in the forum; maybe like a chat box or display panel or something similar, not official threads or posts but a way to display the activity on other channels for people who land on the forum

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Welcome Mr. Wang.

I consider this forum to be priceless.

I'm also happy with the troll-free discussions that take place on Telegram, but I'd sure love to have the people here be able to witness what is going on there.

It used to be it all took place here - so everyone could enjoy the discussion - even the trolls.

Stan
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline MrWang

Hello, I've been surfing this site for a few days now... I'm a filmmaker & content creator from steemit. MrWang[/member]]https://steemit.com/@MrWang

I'm also quite new to this bitshares community as I'm looking to raise the value of my content creations. I've been trying to find somewhere to introduce myself but am unable to find the best place to do just that. I'm responding to this thread because I feel like I might be coming into the forum at the perfect time, if there is a rise in acitivity as you mentioned.

I'm learning bit by bit and soaking up the information so I can eventually chime in on discussions. This bitshares community and the idea behind it, is pretty awesome.

Anyways.. I look forward to talking with you guys in the near future and I hope it was ok to use this particular post to "kinda" introduce myself.

-MrWang

Welcome, glad to see you here!

This forum is very old and IMO pretty disorganized and difficult to find information on. Chris4210 and several others are looking into migration to more modern software. Discourse seems to be the front runner so far from what I've seen. There's a thread where this is being discussed here under General Discussions.

As for BitShares in general you can get familiar with history from @Stan's posts and mine (user full-steem-ahead) on Steemit. Stan also has an in depth historical thread here too.

You may find many of the discussions here to be more technical than you are interested in, but much of the recent discussions involve marketing, how to "fix" the adoption problem as well as re-invigorating development and code maintenance for problems and bugs that have long since been identified but not fixed due to the lack of resources and unwillingness on the part of voters to pay for that work.

Thanks for the advice... I'm on discord so I'll look for the channel. It was fuzzy who got me into bitshares and I've been knee deep in information, making sure I had a good understanding of not only how bitshares works but more of how the community works together. This forum, even tho outdated.. has been the majority of where my better understanding has come from

Offline Thom

Hello, I've been surfing this site for a few days now... I'm a filmmaker & content creator from steemit. MrWang[/member]]https://steemit.com/@MrWang

I'm also quite new to this bitshares community as I'm looking to raise the value of my content creations. I've been trying to find somewhere to introduce myself but am unable to find the best place to do just that. I'm responding to this thread because I feel like I might be coming into the forum at the perfect time, if there is a rise in acitivity as you mentioned.

I'm learning bit by bit and soaking up the information so I can eventually chime in on discussions. This bitshares community and the idea behind it, is pretty awesome.

Anyways.. I look forward to talking with you guys in the near future and I hope it was ok to use this particular post to "kinda" introduce myself.

-MrWang

Welcome, glad to see you here!

This forum is very old and IMO pretty disorganized and difficult to find information on. Chris4210 and several others are looking into migration to more modern software. Discourse seems to be the front runner so far from what I've seen. There's a thread where this is being discussed here under General Discussions.

As for BitShares in general you can get familiar with history from @Stan's posts and mine (user full-steem-ahead) on Steemit. Stan also has an in depth historical thread here too.

You may find many of the discussions here to be more technical than you are interested in, but much of the recent discussions involve marketing, how to "fix" the adoption problem as well as re-invigorating development and code maintenance for problems and bugs that have long since been identified but not fixed due to the lack of resources and unwillingness on the part of voters to pay for that work.   
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline MrWang

-MrWang

Offline Thom

I think the Steemit forum experiment failed and killed most of our forum activity. It is harder to discuss an idea or project in a Reddit forum style. Reddit and Steemit are for announcements and short lifetime content. Not for developing complex new features, ideas, and projects.
Indeed, plus the 30day thread lock feature kills discussions after a while.

I like how the forum has been cleaned up (lots of old subforums have been moved/hidden), focusing attention on a few important subforums.

I'll try and be more active on bitsharestalk from now on.

Another potential issue is the BitShares Telegram (and maybe Slack/Skype too if it's still active?). I haven't used it so I may be off-base here but it seems plausible to me that it is also sucking activity out of BitSharesTalk.

I can definitely see the benefit for instant, ephemeral communication when doing direct collaboration on something specific, or closed groups like witnesses/committee members. For most discussion however I like the forum since it is asynchronous, open to all for reading without registration, and discussion is categorized into persistent and unique threads. For more private communication I like email for the same reasons (minus the registration part).

Personally I got interested in BitShares by lurking on this forum and reading the interesting discussions that were happening. It seems unfortunate to me if some of that discussion gets locked up in Telegram or other services when it needn't be.

I totally agree. Lots of activity on Telegram, too much IMO. We loose a lot of that content and it's much harder to stay abreast of the topics discussed there unless you're there when they occur in real time.

This SMF may be antiquated in many respects but it beats Telegram hands down for substantive discussions in NON-real-time and over long periods of time. Telegram has it's place as Vikram said, especially for time critical announcements. It is not an effective replacement for the forum.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
The least we can do is make sure any steemit posts are linked and highlighted here too.

Here's my latest...

Bitcoin Bob's Solution to Bitcoin Volatility

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
It should be possible to integrate BitShares with Steemit somehow. (no idea how  8))

Offline vikram

I think the Steemit forum experiment failed and killed most of our forum activity. It is harder to discuss an idea or project in a Reddit forum style. Reddit and Steemit are for announcements and short lifetime content. Not for developing complex new features, ideas, and projects.

I like how the forum has been cleaned up (lots of old subforums have been moved/hidden), focusing attention on a few important subforums.

Another potential issue is the BitShares Telegram (and maybe Slack/Skype too if it's still active?). I haven't used it so I may be off-base here but it seems plausible to me that it is also sucking activity out of BitSharesTalk.

I can definitely see the benefit for instant, ephemeral communication when doing direct collaboration on something specific, or closed groups like witnesses/committee members. For most discussion however I like the forum since it is asynchronous, open to all for reading without registration, and discussion is categorized into persistent and unique threads. For more private communication I like email for the same reasons (minus the registration part).

Personally I got interested in BitShares by lurking on this forum and reading the interesting discussions that were happening. It seems unfortunate to me if some of that discussion gets locked up in Telegram or other services when it needn't be.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

It is great to see the forum activity coming back now.

+5%

Offline R

• View Profile

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210

It is great to see the forum activity coming back now.
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I was irritated slighted when I saw your subject ... mostly because the new tool I am currently writing (which is similar to piston) is called `uptick` .. the domain for it will be called `uptick.rocks` and it will have a public api node accessible under `this.uptick.rocks` :) There is already some code on github (deveop branch)

Online Brekyrself

• View Profile
Bitshares Munich, Vikram, SVK, and a few key members here are sure making BTS feel alive again.

Now, if we only knew what was cooking behind the scenes with @Stan !!!  You have been quiet recently, any hints?