Author Topic: DAC or DAO? do we really need dividend?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
no need to make transfers free, the current fee is low enough to ignore.
we have paid big efforts to reduce the high transfer fees to ignorable level, do not propose things like 0.1% trade fee to go back.
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline R

• View Profile
I think the peerplay's dividends feature for UIA would be pretty cool, I'd love the ability to create an UIA that had a customizable interest rate.

I don't think that we should start charging higher fees to reward holders, if we want this we should revert back to 'earn 5% on anything' because that was a huge selling point for BTSX.

Offline EstefanTT

I also oppose the ideas to distribute fees for various purposes.

With that said, if we still think a working referral program is a good thing, we still need to find a solution to get the value from somewhere.

I think the good way to go would be to have free transfers like Steem. The Chinese community would be very happy with this change. You would be allow to use the plateform for basic stuff for free.

To add (a lot of) value to the referral program, we would just add 0.1% on the trades in the Dex. That will produce more fee that transfers and won't slow adoption.
Poloniex is centralised, take a 0.2%+ on trades and doesn't experiment any kind of problem with users adoption. I think BTC38 also takes 0.1%, right ?

With this tweek (no fee on transfer / 0.1% in the dex) we would have a good compromise with western and eastern comnunities.

I know that BitCrab is against the idea but so far, it seems to me the best way to go.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Chronos

I also oppose ideas to distribute fees for various purposes. They are already burned (necessary for profitability) and paid to referrals (a useful purpose). I think that adding more to this channel does not create more value, only more complexity.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
BitShares is a DAC with shareholders (owners of BTS), users (owners of other assets) and products (exchange, bitassets, transfers etc.) ...
It currently is run on a loss but has a massive reserve to bootstrap itself if the shareholders agree ..

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
what's the difference between Bitshares and a traditional company?

a key difference is, in Bitshares, almost all the users are at the same time shareholders, BTS is not only the share of Bitshares, but also the token/fuel for using Bitshares service. but in traditional company, this seldom happen, only a very small part of iPone users are at the same time shareholders of Apple.

the price of BTS depend little on dividends, but greatly on the traction to users. a enough low fee is more important to the active users(also shareholders) than some little dividends, dividends don't play an important role in a blockchain platform, there's no dividends in Bitcoin, Ethereum but these communities grow much bigger than Bitshares. 

if we pay dividends by charging more fees, the active users(they are also shareholders) will be hurt,  and finally the ecosystem will also be hurt, maybe some pure shareholders is happy, but how can they bring?

sometimes I feel the word "DAC" is a little misleading, maybe "DAO"(decentralized autonomous organization) is better. I even feel we should forget dividends.

I am very sure that China community will reject any proposal for paying dividends with charging more fees.
Email:bitcrab@qq.com