Author Topic: MemoryCoin Wallet 0.8.581 Bug  (Read 7725 times)

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Well it is a costly mistake, but as you can see I am not afraid of admitting fault: that's how we evolve and become better.

Noted. It's an impressive capability and in short supply on internet forums. Kudos.

The new setdefaultaddress lets you change the default address on your wallet . . . the process is

1. importmemorywallet / importprivkey
2. setdefaultaddress

Not in the binary yet, but soon!
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
Your backup should be a wallet.dat file, which would include your default.  For a paper or text backup of the default, you can probably use the help/debug console commands - dumpprivkey looks promising.  You wouldn't be importing into a new wallet.dat file, you'd be copying.

If you import an address, it still sends from the wallet address.  Imported addresses are only "receiving" addresses.

The model is "many receiving addresses, a single send address" because you can trust send addresses to be updated / maintained / owned / refreshed by an active voter account.  Longer term history at receiving / imported addresses would mostly mean commerce / payment / business activity.  The imported receiving addresses would form your "reputation" backbone on the network...your economic history.  The wallet addresses form your "voter identity" backbone behind them...your political history.  Your "voter identity" is linked to a "personal identity" at any given website by voluntarily disclosing out of network info - a forum screenname, ID docs, a related btc address, etc...but could be maintained completely separate and private out-of-network if desired.

That said, we could use a "ballot card copy / reset" option though.  Right now, the only way to "clear" a vote is to send over 10 Satoshi, then create a new wallet and vote again.  That's fine if you're only voting for one address per wallet, but I like to do all my cXo votes from one wallet....So updating one vote means redoing all.

Probably as a .bat or other script that could be launched, close, and restart the gui?  Maybe read vote record of current default address, user input for new votes (or clear all), export all keys, create new wallet, import all keys, sweep to new wallet, reset / update votes?

You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.

PWR UP: MAXVTEoYhDfWJjvkNm2ZmUhHpYbsPYuybg

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
You lose privacy, which is equally bad.
Yes, and you're wrong.  Losing privacy results from gaining reputation, which can be of great value in a community of cryptotraders.  And there are already enough coins where you can go if you want complete privacy.

My concern is making sure users are storing the coins safely and away from prying eyes. I care about the user. How is that wrong?

The use case of using public reputation you described is interesting, but has little to do with the issue of storing your coins in a safe and easy to use manner.

Perhaps my vision will be communicated better with an actual prototype, and you will be able to instantly see the value in it. Might even be easier than trying to explain it with words.

Good intentions are great for paving roads.  I am saying there are already, and will be other options...just as you pointed out you are working on one an alternative.  But that is not what we're going for with "social wallets" because not all lost privacy is bad. 

An MMC wallet can be used as a store of value, just like any other wallet.  User can keep address private, etc.  An MMC wallet can also be used as a store of votes with little intrinsic monetary value, but with great extrinsic value based on the amount of "out-of-network" information attached to that address.  In that case, the owner may want to share that information to publicly link it to their "reputation", etc.  A user could choose either model for either purpose, and keep both completely separate if they wanted.

We're not saying we want Barack Obama to store his savings in MMC and make his wallet address public.  We're saying he only has to store enough to vote with his wallet (1 Satoshi), publish his wallet address and the purpose of his vote - and the market would assign a much higher extrinsic value to that based on his reputation.  Any public / advertised MMC addresses can be kept separate from private / personal chains can be kept separate by exchanges .  A public or advertised purpose provides a community standard against which an extrinsic value or a product, service, or action may be assigned and communicated by market individuals. 

(When applied to payment of services rendered in the real-world instead of just voting, we would call it professional services.)

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
I've added a command-line switch, -multiaddress=1 to re-enable using multiple addresses. Also there's a new command, setdefaultaddress to change your default wallet address now. These are in the github source now, not in the binaries yet.

These should allow power users to continue using the wallet features that they've been used to.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant

Yes, and you're wrong.  Losing privacy results from gaining reputation, which can be of great value in a community of cryptotraders.  And there are already enough coins where you can go if you want complete privacy.

You can use a wallet once and walk away, or you can post it on your facebook page to build a reputation and give your votes more community influence.  Reputation and influence in a coin made for voting :)

And, you need deterministic wallets for community identity, not community reputation.  Reputation is based on the minimum information you need in order to trust someone a required amount.  For example, the community does not need the internal / private chains of a user's deterministic wallet tree.  If a user wants to link / trim / maintain their own account tree information, web wallets / other coins can have that functionality.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Actually - I was wrong about something - the security is not as much of a concern.

Apology accepted - you might want to take a less combative approach when you're not 100% sure of your facts.

The main problem of using the same address over and over is anonymity.

I think we're losing the illusion of privacy. Bitcoin has the same kind of vibe that the internet had in the early days when people thought it was anonymous, but it never really was. I think it's better that users are aware that it's not designed to be private and they need to take extra steps to ensure privacy.

In any case - I'll keep taking a stab at my concept, I think it will be beneficial, and would make using coins pleasant for the average user, while having the added security + privacy.

Thanks - I like the idea and I think it could provide the benefits of easy-to-use with the same security, privacy as Bitcoin too.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
FreeTrade, I'm sorry buddy, but I don't think you get how Bitcoin addresses are supposed to work. You should NOT think of them as an account. An address is NOT an account. Any time an address sends money it is supposed to be DISPOSED and the change from the transaction is supposed to go to a fresh newly minted address.

Asenski, I'm sorry buddy, but I don't think you get how MemoryCoin addresses are supposed to work. You should think of them as an account. An address is an account. Any time an address sends money it is supposed to send the change from the transaction back to the same address.

Sure, we're trading a little security for usability - but not much. I'm not aware of any examples of the attack you describe.

Blockchain.info uses this very approach with their wallets - so any vulnerability should show up there.

We're not just another clone coin - we're doing things to differentiate the coin - usability is one of them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:17:12 am by FreeTrade »

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
I've found the new address display a bit lacking, too.

I agree the default address UI needed reinforcing, but you could have just dimmed / grayed the font instead of removing.

In the hierarchy of commandline / qt / web UI, I think you need to consider 3 member classes and their "accounting" needs:

- Miners / Customers - a single default address may be preferred.
- Merchants / Service Providers - multiple vanity "receive" addresses and "private network accounting" to identify from address / balances / vote tallies / etc.
- Officers / Developers - May need multiple service provider wallets for multiple projects.

The basic functions are there, so you could implement any additional services as a web UI or qt update, but I like the idea of people spending time in the qt-client instead of web wallets...easier to mine.  (Could we modify Firefox / Chrome with node.js / some plugin to make an MMC web browser that mines with like 1 thread so it's unnoticeable? :) )

Then, instead of just a "wallet", MMC could basically be an "account".  Imagine then if you say "I'll put X MMC satoshi in A MMC address for each Y BTC in B BTC address I own".  You could do all your accounting - through web, or in qt-client - from one wallet.  Is that mastercoin?  Or masterwallet?

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
The new version will only show one receiving address - that's your default wallet address.
Dubious decision. It would be better if it is configured.

Yes, I think it is fine if someone wants to submit a config patch, but defaults will err on the side of usabilility - the one address, one wallet model is much more intuitive for users, especially new users.

Offline agran

• View Profile
The new version will only show one receiving address - that's your default wallet address.
Dubious decision. It would be better if it is configured.
MMC: MEKdGj95hNjuYn8xiw4iz1iQUQGA47UBMB | BTC: 1agran1xQ4Nwiqv1qegBDF6kqZdfESMUG

Offline stalemate

• Memorycoin CMO
    • View Profile
    • Coaex Precious Metals
I have after the upgrade lost all addresses except the main one. If the command is entered listaddressgroupings, you can see that they have, but the interface of the program they are not.

v.0.8.581

yep, I thought that was a bug but actually it isn't.
Coaex Precious Metals - Cryptocoin Gold and Silver Bullion
Memorycoin Chief Marketing Officer - Voting Address: MVTEcmoa78Tg5gRHzfjk5y5eaBxzP6GEYQ

Offline agran

• View Profile
I have after the upgrade lost all addresses except the main one. If the command is entered listaddressgroupings, you can see that they have, but the interface of the program they are not.

v.0.8.581

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:16:51 am by agran »
MMC: MEKdGj95hNjuYn8xiw4iz1iQUQGA47UBMB | BTC: 1agran1xQ4Nwiqv1qegBDF6kqZdfESMUG

Offline FaSan

• View Profile
Checked right now. My wallet was encrypted before upgrade, and still encrypted after the upgrade.

FaSan

Offline stalemate

• Memorycoin CMO
    • View Profile
    • Coaex Precious Metals
What are you seeing with wallet encryption?
I immediately encrypted again. It was not encrypted when I installed over the older client.

Wallet decryption is impossible without your passphrase by design. Could you explain more detailed what you experienced?

If it's true you might have discoverd a serious security issue in either BDB or Bitcoin.

Well, I don't know how to explain it more detailly but I had 0.8.571 installed, then I downloaded 0.8.581 to try built-in miner.
Setup was smooth, but when I opened the client, I saw "Encrypt Wallet" button colored (clickable). Bottom right icon showed the wallet is not encrypted too.
Previously I had some problems with importprivkey in 0.8.571. (error code -4). I have been using MemoryCoin from the earlier versions. (3 versions back) I had to delete the blockchain files when I upgraded to the 0.8.571. Because my address (which is created in the earlier versions) couldn't accept my vote address back then. I even gave my secret-key to emre  to check whether vanitygen tool is working or not. he confirmed it was working on his system. then I created a new secret key with vanitygen. deleted all the files coming back from versions before 0.8.571, did a clean install and importprivkey worked on 0.8.571. Note that there were 2 addresses (my address used for general purposes + my voting address) in my wallet on 0.8.571.

Maybe you should check in the following variables:
Version : 0.8.571 (with 1 normal address + 1 voting address visible on the client)
Then upgrade to 0.8.581 with built-in miner
Coaex Precious Metals - Cryptocoin Gold and Silver Bullion
Memorycoin Chief Marketing Officer - Voting Address: MVTEcmoa78Tg5gRHzfjk5y5eaBxzP6GEYQ

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn
What are you seeing with wallet encryption?
I immediately encrypted again. It was not encrypted when I installed over the older client.

Wallet decryption is impossible without your passphrase by design. Could you explain more detailed what you experienced?

If it's true you might have discoverd a serious security issue in either BDB or Bitcoin.